Sponsored

Driver+ Not up to current Spec - A Deal Breaker (?)

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Certainly not a deal breaker here, because the roads are so bad you can't use autosteer anyway. If you tried, you'd probably have a flat tire at least once a week due to the huge potholes.

I used it on my Tesla for a little while and constantly had to take over just to avoid huge road defects. In the end, it was just more relaxing and easier to steer myself.
Sponsored

Givian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi
Definitely no deal breaker for me, this autonomous stuff is still in their early days anyhow. Until they have cars working like network nodes communicating with each other or at the very least AI that can calculate threat levels (eg, noticing someone texting and driving) before making moves, none are really that worthy.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My Kia telluride has lane keep assist, adaptive cruise and is hands free. Touch with my knee once every few mins and continues to drive. Works pretty great actually and doesn’t ping pong between the lines even taking curves and bends.
Would hate to pay so much for my R1S and lose functionality.
If it makes you move the wheel every minute or so then it isn’t “hands free”. Hands free would refer to system like GM Super Cruise that will monitor driver attention via a camera and let you not touch the wheel as long as the system has a certain level of confidence in operation.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Has anyone with an R1T noticed any improvements with Driver+ yet?

For the record... Rivian is still proudly claiming Driver+ is a hands free system on their website... Not that it WILL BE hands free... They are claiming it IS hands free.

It's hard to imagine why they would keep advertising this if it's not correct. It seems really deceptive at this point unless there has been an update I'm not aware of.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone with an R1T noticed any improvements with Driver+ yet?

For the record... Rivian is still proudly claiming Driver+ is a hands free system on their website... Not that it WILL BE hands free... They are claiming it IS hands free.

It's hard to imagine why they would keep advertising this if it's not correct. It seems really deceptive at this point unless there has been an update I'm not aware of.
If you read through all of the driver+ information it does have this information noting some of the standard features will be added OTA after start of production

Driver+ features are standard on every Rivian vehicle. Some may be introduced through over-the-air software updates following start of production,

Sponsored

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

If it makes you move the wheel every minute or so then it isn’t “hands free”. Hands free would refer to system like GM Super Cruise that will monitor driver attention via a camera and let you not touch the wheel as long as the system has a certain level of confidence in operation.
Having owned a Mach-E with BlueCruise (has eye scanner) and now a Telluride... it's not "hands-free" but it's relatively hands free if that makes any sense compared to Tesla/Toyota/VW where those systems tend to nag a bit too often if you don't touch the wheel.

I definitely want a Rivian with BlueCruise or SuperCruise like driver assistance system. I much prefer these hands-free systems.

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
Whole-heartedly agreed here. It's an adventure lifestyle vehicle. Drive it yourself, ya lazy schmucks!

If I wanted a vehicle with auto-driving (at any level), I would have picked another vehicle instead of the Rivian.
I completely agree. Auto-driving is an interesting technology but it is very low on the list of important features to me. This is a drivers vehicle so drive it. If you are interested in someone else driving for you take the bus. Everyone else on the road will be safer for it.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I completely agree. Auto-driving is an interesting technology but it is very low on the list of important features to me. This is a drivers vehicle so drive it. If you are interested in someone else driving for you take the bus. Everyone else on the road will be safer for it.
Such an ignorant position.

‘’if you don’t want it, don’t use it. But telling other people to “take the bus“ is silly.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Some people use this in very novel ways. Saw a woman in a Mercedes E with a tray across her lap having a three course breakfast. Saw a gentleman shaving himself while the Tesla was going at about 70mph. I'm sure most people with use "autonomous" driving sensibly. I'm not too keen at present to use it so, the lack of anything related to this in Rivian does not bother me.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Some people use this in very novel ways. Saw a woman in a Mercedes E with a tray across her lap having a three course breakfast. Saw a gentleman shaving himself while the Tesla was going at about 70mph. I'm sure most people with use "autonomous" driving sensibly. I'm not too keen at present to use it so, the lack of anything related to this in Rivian does not bother me.
I've seen worse than that from people driving in cars that don't even have AEB. Literally seen a woman putting on eye makeup with her right hand while holding a breakfast sandwich in her left, going >60 in heavy rush hour traffic. Seen similar with guys shaving and eating at the same time.

Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I contacted customer service this week and asked why the website states the system is hands free. She said it "will be" hands free as it improves over time with OTA updates.

That led to a whole new discussion about a few other features on their website that don't exist in reality. I tried to politely tell her that when the website advertises features that aren't currently in existence without making that distinction clear, it is misleading to customers and seems dishonest in a way.

She said she would pass along my concerns, which tends to be their go to response when somebody has a criticism or concern.

In the meantime, they are still proudly stating Driver+ is hands free and will add even more features over time.

Rivian R1T R1S Driver+ Not up to current Spec - A Deal Breaker (?) Screenshot_20220313-092933

While this one feature is not a deal breaker for me, when you combine this with lack of Android Auto/Carplay it does push me more toward the competition.

I'm still not sure which EV I will ultimately buy.

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
After 4 years in Teslas with FSD, I'm plenty happy with Driver+ as it currently exists. I hope they add the ability to do lane-following on any road, and manually-initiated lane changes. Otherwise the rest of FSD is total garbage and more annoying/dangerous than helpful - I'd rather see Rivian focus on nailing the features they currently support than expanding into maybe-someday territory.

I think it's worth remembering that the most important part of any ML model is a sufficiently set of training data. Rivian is a brand new company with very limited time to train their models and building a lot of this from scratch or from licensed tech. It should improve, especially lighting up more roads (and types of roads) as their fleet deploys. But if you expect them to keep up with the joneses (especially Tesla), I'd prepare to be disappointed.

Rivian is punching above their weight class in a lot of areas but that doesn't mean they can simply out execute everyone everywhere - they are still limited by less money, less scale, less time.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I'd be careful with the term "advanced" here.

I am disappointed theh haven't immersed lane centering without mapping. Yes. That could be because they decided to skip that approach philosophically, or it could be tech. But it also sounds like it handles curves very well when it is mapped, better than most others. So which is more advanced?

I had interpreted their original marketing to mean they were implementing hands free. Have they backed off on that, or do they want more data? It's not clear to me.

It also seems to be very inconsistent about where it does work (even when it is mapped). Which is weird. I'd like a road map for anticipated features as well as a literal road map of where you have active lane centering.

For now, I'm holding off judgment. Where it works the tech seems to do a good job. It's just very limited in that. Ford took forever to get blue cruise out, so I think it's fair to give Rivian time to get driver+ more fully baked.
I don't know, but my Nissan Leaf can drive from Seattle to Leavnworth on the twisty-as hell, cell coverage absent highway just fine with only a few autopilot disconnect warnings when the turns exceed its tracking ability. Rivian has to figure out a degraded mode of lane keeping. Am I going to expect mapped roads (or cell coverage) driving down Baja California? Nope. Leaf works fine in Mexico too!

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
After 4 years in Teslas with FSD, I'm plenty happy with Driver+ as it currently exists. I hope they add the ability to do lane-following on any road, and manually-initiated lane changes. Otherwise the rest of FSD is total garbage and more annoying/dangerous than helpful - I'd rather see Rivian focus on nailing the features they currently support than expanding into maybe-someday territory.

I think it's worth remembering that the most important part of any ML model is a sufficiently set of training data. Rivian is a brand new company with very limited time to train their models and building a lot of this from scratch or from licensed tech. It should improve, especially lighting up more roads (and types of roads) as their fleet deploys. But if you expect them to keep up with the joneses (especially Tesla), I'd prepare to be disappointed.

Rivian is punching above their weight class in a lot of areas but that doesn't mean they can simply out execute everyone everywhere - they are still limited by less money, less scale, less time.
In some ways, I feel they should have done what Tesla did Day 1: License the tech from someone. It's solved by a $22k Nissan Leaf with a $1,400 option, which is only one camera behind your mirror, and solved well, so... I can understand their desire to be independent and develop their own IP; but the mapped road limitation is a huge issue. The number of mapped roads (and cell phone coverage) in central idaho highways is pretty much zero.

It also chugs down 45 minutes of traffic jam on Aurora avenue with autosteer. Including the ballard bridge if I use the left lane.

Otherwise, Rivian needs to just do everything you need to figure out lane centering/keeping w/ autosteer. The rest can come later.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I've seen worse than that from people driving in cars that don't even have AEB. Literally seen a woman putting on eye makeup with her right hand while holding a breakfast sandwich in her left, going >60 in heavy rush hour traffic. Seen similar with guys shaving and eating at the same time.
Pretty much all this happened before autonomous driving too... with only a slight bit more swerving.
Sponsored