Sponsored

Driver+ Not up to current Spec - A Deal Breaker (?)

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
As per the original description, Driver+ would only be available in certain HWYs (mapped routes), which would enable Auto Steer/Lane Centering with Adaptive Cruise Control. Which I thought was a very limited system and had thought would be upgraded when in production to be in line with all the current ADAS implementations.

Rivian R1T R1S Driver+ Not up to current Spec - A Deal Breaker (?) Driver+

But now seeing all the reviews I am kind of disappointed that they stuck to their original version, and when you compare it to most if not all the ADAS implementations, Driver+ is outdated. The fact that it is only a Dynamic Cruise Control on all roads is no better than what I have in my 10-year-old car.

For comparison, here is what is out in the market right now,

ADAS SystemAutosteer/Lane CenteringAdaptive Cruise ControlLane ChangesHands Free
Tesla AutopilotXX--
Tesla Enhanced AutopilotXXX-
BMW Driver ProfessionalXXX-
Ford Co-Pilot 360XX--
Ford CP360 w Blue CruiseXXXX (Limited to mapped HWY)
Polestar Pilot AssistXX_-
Hyundai/KIA HDAXX--
Hyundai/KIA HDA2XXX (Mapped HWY)-
Rivian-X--
Rivian Driver+X (Limited to mapped HWY)X--

Based on this Rivian is the least advanced ADAS system on the market and personally for me this is a big deal breaker, because one of the technological advancements I am looking for in my next car is an advanced ADAS system, and at the moment Rivian is not it.

Feels like Rivian built this system to be hands free from grounds up, but like everything Rivian they did not execute this plan, so instead of planning on developing the 'true' hands free tech (internal cameras, sensors to monitor eye/head placement), they delayed it, kept the Autosteer/Lane Centering, and limited it to mapped HWYs.

Hopefully, since I am not expected to get my R1S till 2023, I am really hoping they make upgrades to Driver+, or at least disable the 'Mapped' HWY restriction for Autosteer and allow it for all roads.

Does anyone feel like Driver+ is very limited or is everyone OK with it as is?

I do not like buying vehicles with 'future feature' promises and buy them based on what is being offered when I buy it.
Because there is no guarantee when these features would be made available or when they would be made available.
Sponsored

Last edited:

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Certainly not OK with how limited it is, however optimistically it seems like the focus was to put all the necessary hardware in and improve the software over time. I wish they would provide a roadmap for Driver+ so we at least know what to expect and roughly when.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'd be careful with the term "advanced" here.

I am disappointed theh haven't immersed lane centering without mapping. Yes. That could be because they decided to skip that approach philosophically, or it could be tech. But it also sounds like it handles curves very well when it is mapped, better than most others. So which is more advanced?

I had interpreted their original marketing to mean they were implementing hands free. Have they backed off on that, or do they want more data? It's not clear to me.

It also seems to be very inconsistent about where it does work (even when it is mapped). Which is weird. I'd like a road map for anticipated features as well as a literal road map of where you have active lane centering.

For now, I'm holding off judgment. Where it works the tech seems to do a good job. It's just very limited in that. Ford took forever to get blue cruise out, so I think it's fair to give Rivian time to get driver+ more fully baked.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
As per the original description, Driver+ would only be available in certain HWYs (mapped routes), which would enable Auto Steer/Lane Centering with Adaptive Cruise Control. Which I thought was a very limited system and had thought would be upgraded when in production to be in line with all the current ADAS implementations.

Driver+.jpg

But now seeing all the reviews I am kind of disappointed that they stuck to their original version, and when you compare it to most if not all the ADAS implementations, Driver+ is outdated. The fact that it is only a Dynamic Cruise Control on all roads is no better than what I have in my 10-year-old car.

For comparison, here is what is out in the market right now,

ADAS SystemAutosteer/Lane CenteringAdaptive Cruise ControlLane ChangesHands Free
Tesla AutopilotXX--
Tesla Autopilot w FSDXXX-
BMW Driver ProfessionalXXX-
Ford Co-Pilot 360XX--
Ford CP360 w Blue CruiseXX-X (Limited to mapped HWY)
Polestar Pilot AssistXX--
Hyundai/KIA HDAXX--
Hyundai/KIA HDA2XXX (Mapped HWY)-
Rivian-X--
Rivian Driver+X (Limited to mapped HWY)X--

Based on this Rivian is the least advanced ADAS system on the market and personally for me this is a big deal breaker, because one of the technological advancements I am looking for in my next car is an advanced ADAS system, and at the moment Rivian is not it.

Feels like Rivian built this system to be hands free from grounds up, but like everything Rivian they did not execute this plan, so instead of planning on developing the 'true' hands free tech (internal cameras, sensors to monitor eye/head placement), they delayed it, kept the Autosteer/Lane Centering, and limited it to mapped HWYs.

Hopefully, since I am not expected to get my R1S till 2023, I am really hoping they make upgrades to Driver+, or at least disable the 'Mapped' HWY restriction for Autosteer and allow it for all roads.

Does anyone feel like Driver+ is very limited or is everyone OK with it as is?

I do not like buying vehicles with 'future feature' promises and buy them based on what is being offered when I buy it.
Because there is no guarantee when these features would be made available or when they would be made available.
If you're not ok with the purchase in its current state, then you should wait until there are concrete improvements. I'm perfectly happy with what it can do today, and while I'm not relying on them improving it, I fully expect they will.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It was never a major selling point for me, so I’m not invested in it like you seem to be. It does appear like Rivian’s is not quite as robust as some other manufacturers, but I assume they will be fine tuning that over the next few years via updates. That being said, I feel like ALL of these systems are being oversold and don’t do many of the things they claim or there are lots of caveats and compromises people must make to get the most out of them.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Also, your table is missing a lot of other systems. Like Nissan, vw, Volvo,Toyota, etc. ?

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Could not care less. Buying an off road capable adventure vehicle that drives itself has always seemed like a contradiction. I guess you can load the back with self driving electric powered bicycles and powered surfboards but why not just save all that money and surf in the metaverse with Zuckerberg? Just my $0.02. All this stuff is currently overhyped anyway but if that’s your priority, I’d pick one of these other car mfgs and move on.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My perspective having it on my ‘16 Model S, was a novelty at first played with it a lot but then rarely used it although it does work fairly well.

I will still engage it on longer highway drives but that is about all I use it for. If they get it opened for most interstate highways especially in more open stretches where there is less traffic, that would work for me.

I do hope the tech is there and a near term update allows true hands free. Having to keep a hand on the wheel for me, I may as well just drive. Tesla used to allow long stretches without hands on but over time it has shrunk to hardly anytime. More relaxing to just keep the eyes on the road when you can take your hands off.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I agree with your assessment. Been a little disappointed watching some of the reviews of the system. Sounds like it works well on mapped highways so I guess they will continue adding mapped terrain.

Not a deal breaker for me but will certainly be disapointing to downgrade from my Kia as far as functionality. Along with losing car play and a traditional sunroof.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

When I bought my Model X in 2018 the "autopilot" had its own limitations based on certain roads/highways. I was told, and based on research that I did, Tesla was constantly collecting data from drivers that were currently using autopilot and with each update I received, the autopilot functions increased as did the fluidness of its use. It still has its quirks, but it has only improved over the years and I'm assuming this same type of data collection is needed to improve the Rivian Driver + system. I don't have anything to back this up, but part of rolling out the first hundred or so production vehicles to employees could be part of this data collection process to get the ball rolling for a mass update.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Also, your table is missing a lot of other systems. Like Nissan, vw, Volvo,Toyota, etc. ?
Interesting that he is missing GM Supercruise which is a hands free implementation as well. This seems similar to the implementation Rivian is shooting for.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
It was never a major selling point for me, so I’m not invested in it like you seem to be. It does appear like Rivian’s is not quite as robust as some other manufacturers, but I assume they will be fine tuning that over the next few years via updates. That being said, I feel like ALL of these systems are being oversold and don’t do many of the things they claim or there are lots of caveats and compromises people must make to get the most out of them.
I have experience with Tesla autopilot and Ford copilot 360 assist. Both systems work great on the freeway. Nothing oversold about them at all. Blue cruise I haven't tried, but from videos I've seen it's coming along well.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Perhaps we should be comparing to other companies systems two months after launch?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I doubt I'll ever turn anything on other than Adaptive Cruise Control. It was one of the features I looked for in choosing my i3s, and it's pretty crappy there, IMO, not giving you good feedback about whether it sees the vehicle ahead or not (I tested this by letting it very nearly rear end someone who stopped in front of me a traffic jam). Watching the on screen displays of the Rivian gives me confidence that with a glance I can tell if it sees the threats that I see. As for steering, it's one of my superpowers, so I'm good with just ACC. If they ever get to a system that can meet me on the other side of the mountain by autonomously driving offroad while I hike the trail, I'll probably give that a try for the convenience of it, but that'll be a long time coming.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Could not care less. Buying an off road capable adventure vehicle that drives itself has always seemed like a contradiction.
Whole-heartedly agreed here. It's an adventure lifestyle vehicle. Drive it yourself, ya lazy schmucks!

If I wanted a vehicle with auto-driving (at any level), I would have picked another vehicle instead of the Rivian.
Sponsored