First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T & 2023 Tesla Model Y LR w/FSD Beta
Occupation
Network Engineer (Retired)
@domoplaytime @Plummer43 I’m curious if either of you have been able to get your vehicles to recognize a USB-C drive yet. I’ve had the same issue since day 1. Recently had service to resolve adding Phone as a Key. They had to re-install/reconfigure software on the module responsible for PaaK. They had said that this should also resolve my Gear Guard/USB-C issue, but it hasn’t.
Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I’m curious if either of you have been able to get your vehicles to recognize a USB-C drive yet.
I don't have mine back from the Service Center yet but I'll reply when I do.

Plummer43

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

@domoplaytime @Plummer43 I’m curious if either of you have been able to get your vehicles to recognize a USB-C drive yet. I’ve had the same issue since day 1. Recently had service to resolve adding Phone as a Key. They had to re-install/reconfigure software on the module responsible for PaaK. They had said that this should also resolve my Gear Guard/USB-C issue, but it hasn’t.
No go. Had someone try their usb in my truck and it did not work. My usb worked in their truck.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I don't have mine back from the Service Center yet but I'll reply when I do.
Got my truck back today and Gear Guard video download now works. The technician at the SC reported that the system needed new drivers for recognizing when a storage device was plugged into USB-C. This cannot be resolved OTA and required physical access to the vehicle.

Plummer43

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

Got my truck back today and Gear Guard video download now works. The technician at the SC reported that the system needed new drivers for recognizing when a storage device was plugged into USB-C. This cannot be resolved OTA and required physical access to the vehicle.
Boooooooo. My SC is 225 miles away.

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Boooooooo. My SC is 225 miles away.
Yikes. Yet several folks on the forum have argued they would be okay with that, just gimme my Rivian already! Given how long they have waited, I get it. But I'm relieved to be close to a major SC for now. I hope I can get these types of issues worked out before I move far away in a year or so.

Plummer43

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

Yikes. Yet several folks on the forum have argued they would be okay with that, just gimme my Rivian already! Given how long they have waited, I get it. But I'm relieved to be close to a major SC for now. I hope I can get these types of issues worked out before I move far away in a year or so.
I'm okay with the distance... just not so I can download video. Otherwise the truck has been fantastic!

jlack33

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
@domoplaytime Thanks for the update! I’ll schedule another service call to get my issue resolved.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

PSA: You can use old USB-A style thumb drives with a USB-A female to USB-C male adapter. I successfully downloaded a gear guard video to an old 1 GB thumb drive.

Rivian R1T R1S downloading Gearguard video to USB C 20221121_075540

I have tons of USB A style drives lying around, so a cheap adapter frees me up from worrying about leaving an expensive thumb drive with the truck at all times. As a bonus I hope Rivian eventually supports playing mp3s from the thumb drive. Maybe I'll have a dedicated USB A thumb drive for each genre of music I like. I hope I can plug them all in at once, and press a button on the screen to cycle through them. Just assign a number 1-6 to each port. 😉

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
PSA: You can use old USB-A style thumb drives with a USB-A female to USB-C male adapter. I successfully downloaded a gear guard video to an old 1 GB thumb drive.

20221121_075540.jpg

I have tons of USB A style drives lying around, so a cheap adapter frees me up from worrying about leaving an expensive thumb drive with the truck at all times. As a bonus I hope Rivian eventually supports playing mp3s from the thumb drive. Maybe I'll have a dedicated USB A thumb drive for each genre of music I like. I hope I can plug them all in at once, and press a button on the screen to cycle through them. Just assign a number 1-6 to each port. 😉
So, a full drive of each of the following:
  • Spin Doctors
  • Insane Clown Posse
  • Smashmouth
  • Nickleback
  • 30 Odd Foot of Grunts
  • Hoobastank

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

• Spin Doctors
  • Insane Clown Posse
  • Smashmouth
  • Nickleback
  • 30 Odd Foot of Grunts
  • Hoobastank
Only the most popular song from each, looped to the entirety of each drive.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

• Spin Doctors
  • Insane Clown Posse
  • Smashmouth
  • Nickleback
  • 30 Odd Foot of Grunts
  • Hoobastank
Rivian R1T R1S downloading Gearguard video to USB C 20221121_163738

mlor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had to create a service ticket for the inability to copy over Gear Guard videos to USB. 12kVIN. Picked up a couple months ago in Normal. Latest available vehicle OS.

I can confirm that Service has told me the same. It has to go to a service center to have some firmware updated that cannot be done via an OTA update. Mobile techs cannot do it. It's mildly annoying since the nearest service center is a 3.5-hour drive away, but I knew that when I bought the thing. I told them that I'd hold off on the service for it for now since it's mostly just an inconvenience.

jlack33

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I brought my truck in last week to the Dallas SC to address the USB-C issue and passenger side wind noise. They resolved the wind noise by fixing a warped piece of trim on external passenger window that was allowing wind to enter the vehicle. They were unable to resolve the USB-C issue. However, Robert/Rivian found a possible solution after the appointment. He came to my house this morning and plugged in his laptop to the truck and confirmed that a setting on the XMM (eXperience Media Module) that manages the USB-C connection was set to Development Mode instead of Production Mode. Once he changed that setting I was able to copy Gear Guard videos to the USB-C drive. Robert will publish this case for future reference. It took a while but we got there eventually.
Sponsored

Last edited: