First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
The TPMS thing without individual PSI is weird, seems like that's a 'standard' thing. Wondering if he either didn't see it, or if they don't show it. Seems software fixable, because every car I own since 2017 does it. Tells you exactly which wheel is low and what PSI its at. Just did the 'it's cold all tires need more air in them' refills and each of them told me numbers.

None of them have fancy TPMS, just standard senders far as I know too.

Hoping that's a 'fix it in software' feature.

Over all a great video. I agree with his 'just floor it?!?!' comments. To me my concern would be chucking a rock out the back and hitting a spotter...

Great video though, well done and really shows how great the stock setup is.
Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
There were hold modes easily accessible during my Sonoma test drive. Couldnt remember how to activate them now, off the top of my head, but it was pretty standard. I’m surprised that he wasnt able to use them, and given that they exist it should be an easy OTA fix later.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The TPMS thing without individual PSI is weird, seems like that's a 'standard' thing. Wondering if he either didn't see it, or if they don't show it. Seems software fixable, because every car I own since 2017 does it. Tells you exactly which wheel is low and what PSI its at. Just did the 'it's cold all tires need more air in them' refills and each of them told me numbers.

None of them have fancy TPMS, just standard senders far as I know too.

Hoping that's a 'fix it in software' feature.

Over all a great video. I agree with his 'just floor it?!?!' comments. To me my concern would be chucking a rock out the back and hitting a spotter...

Great video though, well done and really shows how great the stock setup is.
This 100% depends on the TPMS system deployed. Most systems are simple pressure sensors and can read and display the pressure for each wheel.
Other systems (like on my 2015 Toyota) the system compares the wheel speed sensors to determine if a wheel is spinning faster or slower than others (indicating change in outside diameter) and simply warns the driver of an issue. This system does not give individual tire pressures OR EVEN INDICATE THE OFFENDING TIRE!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This 100% depends on the TPMS system deployed. Most systems are simple pressure sensors and can read and display the pressure for each wheel.
Other systems (like on my 2015 Toyota) the system compares the wheel speed sensors to determine if a wheel is spinning faster or slower than others (indicating change in outside diameter) and simply warns the driver of an issue. This system does not give individual tire pressures OR EVEN INDICATE THE OFFENDING TIRE!
Same with VW. I actually can't see Rivian using the wheel speed type given the independent motors and offeoadif nature with dropping tire pressure. My ID.4 freaked out on my just going down a gravel road with this type of system and I was worried I had a flat at first.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I can't believe I'm about to say this, but this must be the FIRST DeMuro review that he didn't go nuts with his voice mannerisms. I actually enjoyed it.

Wished he would have lowered the PSI on the tires to better grip that mountain trail (which kind of shocked me he didn't considering he said he was an 'off-road enthusiast'), but still seeing that R1T tackle that terrain like a champ gave me goosebumps. And why didn't he use the highest Regen Braking setting going down hill? Odds are he'd have never needed to put his foot on the brakes had he used Regen-braking.

I'm still waiting for the crazy bastard that's going to General Lee a R1T (HEY RIVIAN! LEND ME ONE OF YOUR PRE-PRODUCTION TRUCKS. I'll put that sum-bish through the ringer and back!!).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I googled it, TPMS is a US requirement since 2007. I recall this regulation came into being as a result of the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/document/fina...-standards-tire-pressure-monitoring-systems-0

I’m guessing Doug missed it.
He isn’t the first review I’ve seen complaining of no individual tire pressure. One of the videos out of Breckinridge did as well. I’ll need to figure out if I can find which one.

Edit: not Breckinridge. It was Rebelle Rally:https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/features/rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-rebelle-rally/

She notes that there is no real time tire pressure reading. She also mentions no descent control when the battery is full because you don’t get regen.

Last edited:

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Doug DeMuro: Rivian R1T OFF-ROAD: The Good and The Bad IMG_4369.JPG

I asked this exact question at the Sonoma event and was shown the manual ... FWIW

Last edited:

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
IMG_4369.JPG

I asked this exact question at the Sonoma event and was shown the manual ... FWIW
Plain as day in the manual: "with individual tire pressure display." Confirmed in the PDF version as well.

Sounds like a software miss at this point, either from Doug (not seeing it) or from Rivian (not implementing it *yet*). That or the manual is mistaken.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Having a TPMS system doesn't guarantee that you will get a display on an individual tire basis or even an actual pressure sensor at all.
But if you read the words in the manual that say "This vehicle is equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with individual tire pressure display", then you would think you'd get a display on an individual tire basis.

CO_R1S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet 2500HD, Preorder R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I think it needs “locker mode” where all motors are programmed to turn at the same relative speed based on throttle input. I would think this would not only make it feel more “normal” but actually perform better until the TC software is optimized. I realize that may not be as easy to implement as it sounds because you end up with drastic amp draw differences at each corner, but if they can figure it out I think it would be a winner.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think it needs “locker mode” where all motors are programmed to turn at the same relative speed based on throttle input. I would think this would not only make it feel more “normal” but actually perform better until the TC software is optimized. I realize that may not be as easy to implement as it sounds because you end up with drastic amp draw differences at each corner, but if they can figure it out I think it would be a winner.
That's kind of what I think they are trying to do. But what happens when a tire slips on you? Your frictional resistance drops and that tire has to restrain itself after the fact, while assuming the other tire is correct. there's a great jalapnik video from David avy about this. Without another special sauce mixed in, that's likely a limitation of 4 independent motors.
Sponsored