Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just watching this now. Heard him mention that there is no status indicator of charge on the outside of the vehicle. But I'm pretty sure I've seen previously that the front (and maybe rear too?) lightbar would serve as an indicator of the level of charge. Did he misspeak here, or did that get dropped?"
Yeah, I think they changed it from an indicator of how much charge the battery has to just pulsing while charging, which is disappointing.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Just watching this now. Heard him mention that there is no status indicator of charge on the outside of the vehicle. But I'm pretty sure I've seen previously that the front (and maybe rear too?) lightbar would serve as an indicator of the level of charge. Did he misspeak here, or did that get dropped?"
It has been there on recent test/prototype vehicles. They previously said that charging indicator behavior would be user configurable (i.e. for those that don't want the DRL on), but who knows what has changed...

BigJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Couple questions:
1. Where did the doug score graphic come from? the one on his page doesn't include the scores for the rivian
2. He gave it a 5 for handling - how much of an improvement will the 22" sport tires be for handling? Since he tested with 20" AT tires, I would think there would be a significant improvement in handling on any car moving from those to a sport tire. Maybe enough to make it the highest scored vehicle?
3. Can't see the hitch? that is awful and I can't believe it is true. isn't that a requirement for all cars now? a functioning backup camera - even my wife's honda can see the back bumper in the backup camera.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Couple questions:
1. Where did the doug score graphic come from? the one on his page doesn't include the scores for the rivian
2. He gave it a 5 for handling - how much of an improvement will the 22" sport tires be for handling? Since he tested with 20" AT tires, I would think there would be a significant improvement in handling on any car moving from those to a sport tire. Maybe enough to make it the highest scored vehicle?
3. Can't see the hitch? that is awful and I can't believe it is true. isn't that a requirement for all cars now? a functioning backup camera - even my wife's honda can see the back bumper in the backup camera.
#2- based on other vehicles with a 6 rating for handling, I suspect the R1T will remain a 5, even with better tires.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Couple questions:

He also didn't have a hitch installed at any point in the video that I noticed.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
He also didn't have a hitch installed at any point in the video that I noticed.
I interpreted him as saying it didn't offer a specific hitch "view". For example, my current vehicle normally shows two lines where the wheels would go (turn the steering wheel and the lines move). I can tap a button in the camera screen to change to a towing view where the line changes to the middle of the vehicle and shows where the ball would go, instead.

So we may be able to see the ball in the camera, but it's probably that Rivian doesn't have any towing-specific features/views available, right now.

Ideally, I'd like to see them push something via OTA similar to what Ford offers with trailer backup assist.

BigJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I interpreted him as saying it didn't offer a specific hitch "view".
So we may be able to see the ball in the camera, but it's probably that Rivian doesn't have any towing-specific features/views available, right now.
That would be fine with me so long as I can see the ball is under the trailer. If the lines were added later, that would be even nicer.

Ideally, I'd like to see them push something via OTA similar to what Ford offers with trailer backup assist.
I have an F150 with the backup assist and have never used it because it is a large knob that is used like a steering wheel to make the trailer move one way or the other. On my truck I have to get some sensors to make it work, but on newer versions of the f150 I understand they have done away with the sensors. Maybe Rivian could use a programable scroll wheel to do the same?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have an F150 with the backup assist and have never used it because it is a large knob that is used like a steering wheel to make the trailer move one way or the other. On my truck I have to get some sensors to make it work, but on newer versions of the f150 I understand they have done away with the sensors. Maybe Rivian could use a programable scroll wheel to do the same?
I'm not aware of any sensors. There's a sticker you put on the trailer and you enter a few trailer measurements into the infotainment screen the first time you configure the trailer. The sticker has a geometric pattern and the system sees how that "known" sticker pattern distorts, in conjunction with your trailer measurements and "math" to determine the trailer position and it will steer accordingly.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Rivian isn’t making vehicles yet to the public anyways, so a little over the top with ‘’very best car available’’. No one even knows yet.
Much like the cybertruck, roadster and semi!

acacia1602

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Honda Odyssey, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software Engineer
He points out the vents; why do we need computer controls? We don’t. Wtf does Rivian have to do the same dumb thing as Tesla? Also why can’t the passenger and driver control their own vent fan speed independently? It’s standard in every minivan I’ve owned. It’s a stupid thing to skimp on. Two fans. Not hard.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
He points out the vents; why do we need computer controls? We don’t. Wtf does Rivian have to do the same dumb thing as Tesla? Also why can’t the passenger and driver control their own vent fan speed independently? It’s standard in every minivan I’ve owned. It’s a stupid thing to skimp on. Two fans. Not hard.
There's benefits to having the vents motorized, particularly when it comes to different drivers. My wife hates air blowing on her, so she always points the vents upwards. Then when I drive her car I'm burning up and have to reposition them. Then she gets back in and does the same, back and forth. I personally like to set my vents once and then forget about them. Linking this setting to a driver profile that automatically sets the vents when I drive is a nice side effect of this.

It would be cool if they could do a hybrid approach for those of you that like to move your vents frequently. A physical slider that is also optionally motorized for recalling positioning based on preferences might be difficult to engineer but a nice feature.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
What vans support two fan speeds left/right?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Honda Odyssey
Odd. Honda indicates there is only one fan speed for the front passengers.

They do have "tri zone" for temperature -- so the passenger can have a different temp than the driver -- but fan speed is singular for front.

acacia1602

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Honda Odyssey, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software Engineer
There's benefits to having the vents motorized, particularly when it comes to different drivers. My wife hates air blowing on her, so she always points the vents upwards. Then when I drive her car I'm burning up and have to reposition them. Then she gets back in and does the same, back and forth. I personally like to set my vents once and then forget about them. Linking this setting to a driver profile that automatically sets the vents when I drive is a nice side effect of this.

It would be cool if they could do a hybrid approach for those of you that like to move your vents frequently. A physical slider that is also optionally motorized for recalling positioning based on preferences might be difficult to engineer but a nice feature.
If they were actually tied to a driver and passenger setting I’d agree with you. But they aren’t, and if I had to choose I’d rather have the ability to change the fan speeds independently. The more people you have in a car the more climate-control opinions you have to deal with. The current Rivian offering for climate won’t work for the R1S.
Sponsored