TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Within the first minute he says, "This is, the coolest pickup truck ever made."

You can stop right there if you like. :CWL:
Beyond that, Doug seems to have a fixation on kidnapping prevention.
And if he says. ‘’Cool’’ or ’’but’’ on more time I’m gonna loose it.
Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Yeah, I do believe some of his "Doug Score" numbers should be called to questions (value, handling, and some others) and feel the R1T should have then broke the 74-75 mark.

But either way it's what you always knew it would be.... AMAZING!

It does kill me though that the Kia EV6 has an awesome 360 camera and the R1T has it's completely underwhelming fixed low resolution cameras. I honestly feel that's kinda a significantly bad issue that I would have a hard time looking past.

Also UK Top Gear rated the R1T 9/10 and had a glowing review all around, not too mention the "best new vehicle sound system to date".

The Kia EV6 GT got a 9/10 also... just saying... Rivian fix the cameras and give us a 360° view!

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
"If you are in this price point, this thing is unbeatable.... Not only is the Rivian the best truck I've ever tested, but it's one of the best vehicles overall as the all time high Doug score is 74. The simple truth is this vehicle is amazing: great tech, innovative ideas, excellent performance and extensive off-road capability. The Rivian does it all. I really want one."

In the immortal words of David Byrne, "Thank you, does anybody have any questions?"
Sorry. Not great tech.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Except the tech is disappointing. It just should be better.
He said the tech was good, including the navigation and charging status.You are trying to find something substantial to complain about, not surprise given your username. At least Rivian are not making vehicles under tents or with atrocious panel gaps.

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Just a note, he misspoke and stated its 215 inches long. I do not envy folks having to spew specs on video almost nonstop.
And mis-spoke on the weight as well.
Driving the R1T on public roads is what at least 95% of buyers plan on doing, me included. I don't think he takes anything off road to test, so that wouldn't be normal for him (TheSmokingTire does, hopefully they get to test one) . As for the ride quality, he said it was fine, just fine, not great. A buyer should not be expecting a 6000lb truck to handle like anything other than what it is, it isn't a sports car, it isn't a plush comfy car, its a heavy, 6000lb truck. He still gave it glowing review.
Not a criticism of either quoted party as the inadvertent spread of misinformation is something the internet is really well suited for.

Doug makes a mistake or two and the bad information is shared as fact. We can't all check everything. Hence the point of having "pro" reviewers.

But it's a 7000 lb truck, another item he mis-spoke about. Sloppy attention to detail for someone that reviews vehicles for a living (IMO). The actual weight of an EV in particular, especially one made for "adventure", is an important piece of information.

There was some new information here. But we will still have to wait for a comprehensive, serious review by a neutral 3rd party of the R1T in context of the manufacturers stated purpose.

Of course, all the while, understanding that "98% of people will never use it that way".

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
This whole YouTube review thing makes me wonder how Rivian, or any company, internally weighs videos like this. How seriously should a company take them individually really? It feels like they would take the small dings as possible to-do items and just ride the general tide of reactions rather than each individual wave. ?‍♂

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Except the tech is disappointing. It just should be better.
Plenty of job postings at Rivian.com, I’m sure they’d appreciate the wealth of insight.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
His reviews are more about little details and of course, “quirks and features” of a car. I’ve been looking forward for his review in the Rivian. If I wanna know how a car drives and more of its technical specs, I’d watch someone else’s review.
My most pleasant surprise are that the roof racks can easily be taken off and move to the truck bed. And the yeti holding the camera while the security mode is triggered. I do think tesla’s sentry mode graphics on the screws is a bit too serious.

rivianado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ACURA TL, TOYOTA HIGHLANDER
Occupation
SOFTWARE CONSULTANT
no android or carplay is a bummer though. Hope Rivian fixes this soon.

Sponsored

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/Y/3, R1T, R1S (order)
He mentioned driver plus will not change lanes. I thought it would if the turn signal is activated by the driver. That’s my favorite feature about Tesla EAP or FSD. I’m not expecting auto lane change without the driver initiating like FSD. Maybe an OTA update?
I have Tesla AP1 on my S and the lane change still seems better than EAP on our Y/3. I hate the fiddly having to use the screen to change the airflow though. Wish they could figure that one out. At least the door handles can be opened with one hand, unlike the Tesla 3/Y

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

And if he says. ‘’Cool’’ or ’’but’’ on more time I’m gonna loose it.
But it is Cool!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I just got done watching the video, and then saw your comment. Agree with you 100%.

That said, and regardless of how he expresses himself, I love much of what he thought of it.
Sponsored