Sponsored

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Love this guy's reviews.
His enthusiasm is really cool to watch - reminds me of a Mitchell and Webb sketch:
Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Beyond that, Doug seems to have a fixation on kidnapping prevention.
When he said the cup holders were obviously to put drinks in, I was waiting for him to say they were also the last option to use handcuffs for your kidnapping victim.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Love this guy's reviews.
His enthusiasm is really cool to watch - reminds me of a Mitchell and Webb sketch:
Seems like he’s upped the amphetamine dosage the last couple years.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The first McLaren with the KDSS type cross-linked suspension was the 12c. Not F1.
Correct, the F1 utilized traditional Bilstein monotube dampers. However, while KDSS relies on similar principles as the suspensions on the MP4-12C and Rivian R1, KDSS is vastly different in that it hydraulically links the sway bars whereas the Tenneco Kinetic system hydraulically links the dampers allowing the complete elimination of the sway bars.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Correct, the F1 utilized traditional Bilstein monotube dampers. However, while KDSS relies on similar principles as the suspensions on the MP4-12C and Rivian R1, KDSS is vastly different in that it hydraulically links the sway bars whereas the Tenneco Kinetic system hydraulically links the dampers allowing the complete elimination of the sway bars.
Yes my mistake. McLaren and Rivian systems are more akin to Citroen.

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

I have bee waiting for Doug's review for a long time! He did a great job! I hope he buys one!

Cassidy_DM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6
Occupation
Space
I have bee waiting for Doug's review for a long time! He did a great job! I hope he buys one!
It's pretty good when Quinn from Snazzy Labs, Ben Sullins, Doug Demuro, and Kyle Conner all say they want to get one. I'm quite happy with my deposit and my stock purchase now.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Doug wasn't allowed to drive the Lightning. AFAIK, he doesn't give Doug Scores to vehicles or when he can't drive or have editorial control over the review.

The Rivian score undoubtedly was reduced for being a new/unknown brand. Honestly, the score Doug gave is a testament to how great of a product they've built, so far. The Tundra score surely is inflated because of the "Toyota" halo. I've seen some abysmal plastic interiors from Toyota, and they're actually not nearly as reliable as people say. The current Tundra, for example, is notorious for having expensive emissions-related failures, such as air pumps. But Toyota has this "halo" reputation and it's hard to lose it.
Makes sense about the Lightning, I guess I wasn’t thinking about him not driving it. It’s like his review of the Maverick. It was a terrible review for Doug, but he had limited time to do this thing as they were giving media people a small window of time with the truck before they had to move and let the next reviewer have at it. I don’t usually chase down Doug’s reviews, but the ones like this R1T review, are always some of the best if he gets ample time with the vehicle.

I still find his handling scores weird. It seems he should weigh them differently within their respective class of vehicle. Other reviewers are raving about the R1T handling as it compares to other trucks on the market. Sports car bias or not, I think it’s weird he scores trucks consistently low because they don’t defy the physical laws of the universe and handle like a Porsche.

All in all a great review. And I think he truly likes the R1T enough to own it, as in he’s completely serious when he says he wants one.

As for the Toyota halo, I’m fully aware of that. Toyota has capitalized on their reliability marketing for decades. They‘re the only manufacturer I’m currently aware of that subsidizes trade-in values to artificially inflate the used market and resale for their own vehicles, and use that to help perpetuate that reliability thing.

I’ve been a fleet buyer and managed a truck fleet for years, have been in around off-road racing off and on as well. If there’s anything I’ve learned is that you don’t bad-mouth Toyota or question their reliability around Toyota people. That’s blasphemy. And many auto rags don’t take kindly to it either. Toyota reliability is more a state of mind than anything, a theological one. I can share a number of stories to that effect, but I suppose that isn’t why I’m here.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
When he said the cup holders were obviously to put drinks in, I was waiting for him to say they were also the last option to use handcuffs for your kidnapping victim.
You should email Doug so he can edit that in. I also felt he missed the opportunity to mention stowing kidnapped children under the rear seat or how the gear guard cables can double as restraint locks.

Sponsored

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
He mentioned driver plus will not change lanes. I thought it would if the turn signal is activated by the driver. That’s my favorite feature about Tesla EAP or FSD. I’m not expecting auto lane change without the driver initiating like FSD. Maybe an OTA update?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

That is actually what I view as one of the shortcomings of his review.

Driving the R1T only on public roads, as he appears to have done, results in a failure to reveal / appreciate much of its amazing capability. His comments on ride quality also make me wonder how much he fiddled with the various drive modes which are available.

I think if Doug had had the opportunity to personally experience the prodigious off-road capability of the R1T the Rivian may very well have received the highest score Demuro has ever given to date.
Driving the R1T on public roads is what at least 95% of buyers plan on doing, me included. I don't think he takes anything off road to test, so that wouldn't be normal for him (TheSmokingTire does, hopefully they get to test one) . As for the ride quality, he said it was fine, just fine, not great. A buyer should not be expecting a 6000lb truck to handle like anything other than what it is, it isn't a sports car, it isn't a plush comfy car, its a heavy, 6000lb truck. He still gave it glowing review.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
It’s fair to have some quibbles about methodology, but this relatively reasonably priced truck just tied the Bugatti Chiron and gave the McLaren F1 a run for its money in Doug’s “performance-car biased” score.

We might complain, but I bet Rivian folks are popping champagne. It’s a hell of a product.

Now, production ?
Sponsored