Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
I don’t really watch his reviews much, but what a quirky guy! ;)

AND

A good review from him.

AND

I can’t believe they will let the poor quality cameras make final production.

AND

I don’t understand why no ‘overhead’ view from the camera system especially for parking.

AND

There were a lot of little details with this I hadn’t heard before—the lights/turn signals.

AND

It was a really long video.
Sponsored

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I used to watch a lot of Doug, but now I just find him lazy and a complete amateur in terms of video production and describing how a car drives. I can't wait for Throttle House to get their hands on one whenever it comes to Canada.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I am calling it based on the timing and details seen in the video that this is Brian Gase’s R1T loaned to Doug for the review.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I am calling it based on the timing and details seen in the video that this is Brian Gase’s R1T loaned to Doug for the review.
Ha. I was going to suggest the same thing, but hadn't had a chance to go back and see if it had his plates on it.

Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Ha. I was going to suggest the same thing, but hadn't had a chance to go back and see if it had his plates on it.
No plates on it in the video but it has the name “Brian” in the GUI and the music interface has “Rivian Internal Test Playlist”

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

No plates on it in the video but it has the name “Brian” in the GUI and the music interface has “Rivian Internal Test Playlist”

Yeap was just about to post that LOL.

Rivian R1T R1S Doug Demuro Review: The Rivian R1T Is the Coolest Pickup Truck Ever Made 1637958406814

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Haha…I thought the same thing!

Joninrye

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I've been looking forward to Doug's take on the R1T for a couple weeks now and I haven't been let down by his impressions.

He missed a couple of features though that I felt he should mention. That being the Rivian logo in the phone charging mat and in the truck-bed texture. Nobody else does that so it should have gotten a mention.
He also said he was disappointed that there was no easy access to the truck bed (tailgate step)...completely missing the gear tunnel door as a step up.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
"If you are in this price point, this thing is unbeatable.... Not only is the Rivian the best truck I've ever tested, but it's one of the best vehicles overall as the all time high Doug score is 74.
The McLaren F1 scored 74.

Both have a similar fully hydraulic suspension.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I was curious how he's evaluated other car's handling, so looked at all of his Doug scores. You can see where his personal preferences for sports cars really comes to in. Particularly with styling and fun and cool factors.

That's not a criticism, everyone is going to have a bias, it's just interesting seeing a single reviewer's evaluations all in one place. Biases come out, as does the person's mood each day.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Doug seems to have a fixation on kidnapping prevention.
It did make me think: There is an emergency release button in the bed. If I have a large item in the bed (such as a piece of furniture) and the tonneau cover is open, it'd be nice to be able to lock the tailgate... But will that emergency release effectively negate the locking function of the tailgate? Perhaps it disables the emergency release if the tonneau is retracted?

Not a huge deal, either way... But it is something I'm now curious about.

• There's no 360 camera? Did I hear that right? Doug said there is no "top-down" camera.
Yes, unfortunately this is a huge oversight, imo! I've spoken with a few Rivian CS people about it, and they do the standard "we'll pass your concern up the chain of command" but there never seems to be much enthusiasm. A 360 degree "birds-eye" view is a fantastic feature and I consider it a massive misstep not to include one. I hope they rectify this with an OTA update. I disagree with Rivian over some of their choices -- such as lack of CP/AA -- but in most instances I can at least see some justification for their decision -- even if I don't agree with it; however, with the 360-degree camera view I can't think of any reasonable explanation for it's absence.

I’m surprised he didn’t have the Lightning in the DougScore comparison.
Doug wasn't allowed to drive the Lightning. AFAIK, he doesn't give Doug Scores to vehicles or when he can't drive or have editorial control over the review.

I do have one issue with his DougScore ratings…. How can he give the ‘22 Tundra TRD Pro an 8 for quality? Serious question. ?
The Rivian score undoubtedly was reduced for being a new/unknown brand. Honestly, the score Doug gave is a testament to how great of a product they've built, so far. The Tundra score surely is inflated because of the "Toyota" halo. I've seen some abysmal plastic interiors from Toyota, and they're actually not nearly as reliable as people say. The current Tundra, for example, is notorious for having expensive emissions-related failures, such as air pumps. But Toyota has this "halo" reputation and it's hard to lose it.