Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Missed this thread, here is what I put in the other one:

Pretty good extensive review. Some commentary that stuck out to me:
  • The front headlights will dim when the turn signal is used.
  • The rear turn signals are quite small.
  • Interfacing with the truck is modern, but might be a big leap for the driver if they are not used to that (screen for air vents, screen for mirrors, screen for adjusting steering wheel, etc...).
  • There's no 360 camera? Did I hear that right? Doug said there is no "top-down" camera.
The closing comments sum it up pretty well though, there definitely isn't a package like this anywhere close!
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

"If you are in this price point, this thing is unbeatable.... Not only is the Rivian the best truck I've ever tested, but it's one of the best vehicles overall as the all time high Doug score is 74. The simple truth is this vehicle is amazing: great tech, innovative ideas, excellent performance and extensive off-road capability. The Rivian does it all. I really want one."

In the immortal words of David Byrne, "Thank you, does anybody have any questions?"
Let’s see if the R1S goes one point better as he seems to prefer the way that looks and having seven seat capability is a plus for him too.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Glad to see a video by someone that reviews all kinds of vehicles, and it still did well. Also glad to hear some fair criticisms, not all rainbows and unicorns. The Colorado reviews were nice, but controlled, and not much everyday driving.

tomis916

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That is the first time I've watched one of his reviews. It wore me out! ?

A very methodical walkthrough of the truck. Worth the time. I'm a bit disappointed that there does not appear to be a good camera for hooking up a trailer. First I've heard this mentioned.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm a little surprised he only gave it a 5 on handling.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Same he kept on comparing it to cars but really its a heavy Truck and compared to most Id imagine its amazing though I can't tell with out driving ha.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
…Higher than all the others. Makes me wonder if it’s still an out of 10 rating or if this one is different. If it’s still a 5 out of 10, what does he think gets a 10?

I’m surprised he didn’t have the Lightning in the DougScore comparison.

I do have one issue with his DougScore ratings…. How can he give the ‘22 Tundra TRD Pro an 8 for quality? Serious question. ?

Sponsored

Arthur Itiz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mercedes a220, 2021 Mercedes gla250
…Higher than all the others. Makes me wonder if it’s still an out of 10 rating or if this one is different. If it’s still a 5 out of 10, what does he think gets a 10?

I’m surprised he didn’t have the Lightning in the DougScore comparison.

I do have one issue with his DougScore ratings…. How can he give the ‘22 Tundra TRD Pro an 8 for quality? Serious question. ?
I think he bases the 'quality' score on the Tundra from Toyota reputation.

Arthur Itiz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mercedes a220, 2021 Mercedes gla250
I've been looking forward to Doug's take on the R1T for a couple weeks now and I haven't been let down by his impressions.

He missed a couple of features though that I felt he should mention. That being the Rivian logo in the phone charging mat and in the truck-bed texture. Nobody else does that so it should have gotten a mention.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Pretty good extensive review. Some commentary that stuck out to me:
  • The front headlights will dim when the turn signal is used.
  • The rear turn signals are quite small.
  • Interfacing with the truck is modern, but might be a big leap for the driver if they are not used to that (screen for air vents, screen for mirrors, screen for adjusting steering wheel, etc...).
  • There's no 360 camera? Did I hear that right? Doug said there is no "top-down" camera.
The closing comments sum it up pretty well though, there definitely isn't a package like this anywhere close!
Bummed that he confirms the camera quality is not good, especially at this price point. He's reviewed tons of vehicles so he would know and based on other reviews I've seen it corroborates. Sucks that they went low quality on the cameras. I'm hoping its something that could be improved with OTA updates. Line of thinking being maybe they set it at low res for now while they work out kinks and will raise it later (one can hope). I'd also think a 360 view is something they could add with another OTA update.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Just a note, he misspoke and stated its 215 inches long. I do not envy folks having to spew specs on video almost nonstop.
Sponsored