Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
"The Hummer EV is the best, though its many benefits come at a substantial cost."

Fair enough :).

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
Worth noting that the "Doug Score" tied the R1T, he just liked the overall quality of the Hummer better, and for the difference in price, that seems reasonable.

Do check back on the video at 8:27, though, and look closely at the "Lights" icon. :CWL:

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I’ll have to check this out this evening. In his earlier review he couldn’t drive it. I will say for that price point it better be amazing.

With that said, watch Doug’s H2 video, in which he called it the most embarrassing car you can drive.

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I’ll have to check this out this evening. In his earlier review he couldn’t drive it. I will say for that price point it better be amazing.

With that said, watch Doug’s H2 video, in which he called it the most embarrassing car you can drive.
He didn't say the same here because GM guy was riding shotgun.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
You did, Mary. You led, and it matters. :clap:

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 12.30.32 PM.png
To be fair, he goes on to explain that all these Aux buttons are editable for the icon you want. Someone clearly applied the wrong one here, but it wasn't GM.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
It has a button that displays an email address where all your complaints will go to die.
Glad to know where my money is going......WTF. Now, if it was integrated to send a diagnostic report when something goes wrong, like you can do sometimes with phones/computers, now that would be interesting (but still wouldn't want it front and center).

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
To be fair, he goes on to explain that all these Aux buttons are editable for the icon you want. Someone clearly applied the wrong one here, but it wasn't GM.
Oh I beg to differ, that icon is JUST right. :like:

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Comparing this and the R1T is a bit like Reps and Dems, there's a clear delineation in tastes, but I'm scratching my head to figure out where the extra 2k lbs are vs. the Rivian. Oh, it's the 45kwh of battery to get the same range and otherwise generally bulky body.

So, all else equal, you're paying about $10K more after markup to achieve the same ish range without gaining any interior or bed space. Not sure where the other $40k is going other than in GM's pockets.

I think the motorized rear window may be the only feature I'd take for the Rivian (and pay for), but I'm guessing that would come at the expense of the motorized tonneau. I don't think there is anything else I'd personally pay to add to the Rivian (maybe the Lightning esque frunk design).

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
And don't forget the Hummer tows 1500 3500 lbs less! (corrected!)

Last edited:

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Comparing this and the R1T is a bit like Reps and Dems, there's a clear delineation in tastes, but I'm scratching my head to figure out where the extra 2k lbs are vs. the Rivian. Oh, it's the 45kwh of battery to get the same range and otherwise generally bulky body.

So, all else equal, you're paying about $10K more after markup to achieve the same ish range without gaining any interior or bed space. Not sure where the other $40k is going other than in GM's pockets.

I think the motorized rear window may be the only feature I'd take for the Rivian (and pay for), but I'm guessing that would come at the expense of the motorized tonneau. I don't think there is anything else I'd personally pay to add to the Rivian (maybe the Lightning esque frunk design).
I don't have a horse in this race, as I'm not a truck person. But I like the buttons on center dash of the Hummer quite a bit, and how they function. It's useful and clever. I also like the functions of the tailgate. And the rear wheel turning is amazingly helpful to make the Hummer more nimble, even if it does beget the silly "Crab walk" parlor trick.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It will be interesting to see how it does. At it's peak in 2006, GM sold 71k hummers, and most years more like 30k. I'm sure its stunning lack of popularity had something to do with it's awful gas mileage. With ±350 miles of EV range, maybe it will do better.

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
I think Rivian is in a interesting spot. I love them - I got a reservation. But the competition is here, and the competition is real.

Between Hummer EV and the ID4, is where I find Rivian. There is room for this market, but man - in USA in 2020, only 36k Etron + Model X were sold; there are only so many people out there trying to buy a $80k electric SUV/truck. The number of consumers willing to drive a 80k SUV has to dramatically increase.

IMO, this Hummer is every bit a off-roader as the Rivian - crab walk is cool. It can tow. It’s got storage capacity. Four wheel steering is cool.

From a pure off-roader perspective; I am not sure which is better, Rivian or Hummer EV - they seem either neck and neck, or…dare I say….Hummer EV is better.

From a mall cruiser/night on the town perspective; Rivian is the better looking vehicle

From an overall utility perspective; the Hummer EV seems….more burly, durable - ready to have some 2x4’s thrown at it.

I know the Hummer EV can be more easily spec’d at 100k+ price points. I know the $80k Hummer EV deliveries don’t start until something like 2024 (which is when I expect Rivian to really be hitting their stride with production); but my R1S reservation price tag exceeds 100k

Both vehicles are extremely innovative in countless ways. The gear tunnel, the collapsible windows, these vehicles are definitely bringing wicked features. The frunk is absolutely massive in this vehicle. The capacity of everything is just…better. The Rivian almost seems like a mid-size SUV, and the Hummer EV is the full size SUV? I like the charging indicator in the headlights of the Hummer EV, although any EV is going to be IP-connected and showing the battery status in the mobile application.

Long term, I think competition from vehicles like the Hummer EV, will stunt Rivians growth & overall success; had Rivian been 1 year earlier to market, they would have had a competitive advantage.

I still prefer the R1S styling over the Hummer EV; but I know there are not insignificant amount of people who want the CyberTruck, and most definitely….the Hummer EV. I worry the F150 EV and the Hummer EV will offer just enough competition for different customers that the Rivian brand is significantly under-appreciated (splitting the off-roader market with Hummer. Splitting the utility market with Ford. Splitting the luxury mall cruiser market with Audi/VW).
Sponsored

Last edited: