Sponsored

Don't Use USAA insurance for your Rivian

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

A cautionary tale for everyone out there about choosing your insurance. I'm not going to go into detail about the entire process, but suffice it to say that I went from being a USAA lifer to strongly considering cancelling every policy and closing all of my USAA accounts due to the epic mismanagement of the claim I filed with them on my Rivian.

After this experience, I will probably go with the Rivian partner insurance because saving a few bucks isn't worth what I've been through and I recommend everyone else who is a USAA member to reconsider if you are planning to use their insurance for your Rivian.
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

A cautionary tale for everyone out there about choosing your insurance. I'm not going to go into detail about the entire process, but suffice it to say that I went from being a USAA lifer to strongly considering cancelling every policy and closing all of my USAA accounts due to the epic mismanagement of the claim I filed with them on my Rivian.

After this experience, I will probably go with the Rivian partner insurance because saving a few bucks isn't worth what I've been through and I recommend everyone else who is a USAA member to reconsider if you are planning to use their insurance for your Rivian.
U can't say that and not expand a bit on the situation....

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Can you elaborate on what went wrong? I was planning on using them when I finally take delivery. Im not sure if my USAA umbrella insurance would still cover me if I went with someone else for the Rivian.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I’ve been with USAA since 1991. They treat me like I’m the owner. I’ve never had a bad experience with them, including a house fire and several accidents through the years. In fact I’ve always felt like they were over generous.

I’d like to hear more about your experience.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

A cautionary tale for everyone out there about choosing your insurance.
You forgot to include the cautionary tale.

No Rivian yet, and I've had USAA for almost 30 years, no issues.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You're gonna have to elaborate on this one...as literally everyone else has said. Can't say we've had to make many claims, but they haven't been a problem so far (no R1 yet either).

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
All insurance companies "treat you well" until you file a claim.........

I filled a W/D, water leak claim. Washer leaked water and damaged good portion of my hardwood floor in the area. Result was replacing all flooring in the house. They took care of us but I'm left with post claim effect.

My rates keep going up and when I shop around, I get better rates until they see the water claim. Then it becomes way more. Now i'm stuck with AllState and keep paying their rate hikes every 6months.......

Last edited:

Perkmeup

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vermibag.com
Vehicles
Jeep cherokee
Occupation
Engineer
Like you said…..it’s a tale without expanding….🤔

Sponsored

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

My Rivian is also insured with USAA as has every vehicle I've owned since leaving the Corps in 2022.

They were more than helpful when I had a claim on my Ford Mustang Mach E and worked with a local proshop that was not in their approved vendors list. No issues and fast return of my vehicle.

Would love to know what you're experiencing, OP? @kurtlikevonnegut

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Other than being insanely expensive compared to others, even though I had 12 products with them...claims, which rarely happened, were handled pretty well. Progressive was half the cost though, so....had to part ways for vehicle insurance.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales

I left USAA almost 20 years ago. Quoted them for the R1T, but went with Progressive due to past history with USAA (not a big enough diff to make me go back to them). They don't offer policies sometimes on higher risk properties - East Coast coastal communities. At one point they wouldn't issue new policies on properties in the eastern half of VA/NC. So no, I don't do USAA since they sometimes do, and sometimes don't offer coverage.

Beyond that, I've never done a claim with them so no idea how they are comparatively in servicing since I only had them for like 15 years before I left the Cos. coverage.

WrekEE

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order, Model Y P, Tundra TRD Pro
Other than being insanely expensive compared to others, even though I had 12 products with them...claims, which rarely happened, were handled pretty well. Progressive was half the cost though, so....had to part ways for vehicle insurance.
Progressive is that cheap.. interesting. Have you had any claims with progressive? If so how did it go?
Sponsored