Dominion Power rate plans

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I need some help with picking a Rate Schedule beyond just the basic residential rate sked from Va Dom Power. I have a smart electrical meter, and two EVs. I'd like to switch off of schedule 1, to take advantage of off peak charging and use. Can anyone provide me some help with deciphering between 1T and 1S as far as cost/kWh or kW and which is better for charging EVs?
Thanks in Advance
Sponsored

tg_cid

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Blademaster
For what it's worth, I moved to 1G (Time of Use) last year, and it's been wonderful. Saved ~$200 so far and the vast majority of that is just in moving our Teslas to overnight charging. 1G is more fiddly because it's got an extra step-down block of time, but it's worked well for us.

Looks like 1S' off peak is 0.8382 cents +change, and 1T's is 0.4642¢ +change. 1S seems to just add 1.5 per kW during peak, vs 1T's total rate replacement of ~4.43c during peak.

It would depend what the rest of your electric usage looks like - how much can you shift your load to off-peak? can you supercool the house overnight and only run dishwasher/major appliances then?

If it were me, I'd probably go 1T.

OP
OP
Dirty_B

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
For what it's worth, I moved to 1G (Time of Use) last year, and it's been wonderful. Saved ~$200 so far and the vast majority of that is just in moving our Teslas to overnight charging. 1G is more fiddly because it's got an extra step-down block of time, but it's worked well for us.

Looks like 1S' off peak is 0.8382 cents +change, and 1T's is 0.4642¢ +change. 1S seems to just add 1.5 per kW during peak, vs 1T's total rate replacement of ~4.43c during peak.

It would depend what the rest of your electric usage looks like - how much can you shift your load to off-peak? can you supercool the house overnight and only run dishwasher/major appliances then?

If it were me, I'd probably go 1T.
Thanks so much.

I switched to a 30min cycle for data recording on my meter and so am gathering data. I think I can switch most high energy devices to off peak like you're talking about and am researching a smart heat pump hot water heater to run offpeak and store higher temp H2O for use during peak hours.

Also for EVs, since weekends are off peak I should be able to go nearly 100% on Sunday and then do small charges off peak during the week. I'm leaning to 1T like you said but appreciate factual based answers vs what I think.

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
How easy a process is that in dealing with Dominion?

tg_cid

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Blademaster
If you have a smart meter already, it’s easy. If you don’t, it’s impossible, near as i can tell.
Sponsored