Sponsored

GRtruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, BMW X5 45e, R1T
Such a cool idea. I will definitely be doing this instead of the seat cover. This also will protect the rear screen from my pups.
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I made a platform for the 40 side (over the subwoofer) so that we could still keep the car seat in the middle seat and potentially have 2 car seats in the back with the dog back there as well. It works for my 60lb German Shepherd/Pyrenees mix.

Rivian R1T R1S Dog Platform Bench custom DIY made for R1T back seat PXL_20230514_230655645

Rivian R1T R1S Dog Platform Bench custom DIY made for R1T back seat PXL_20230514_230829111

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
I saw a video on YouTube of a couple reviewing their R1T a few months ago, and they had created a handy folding platform for the dog to ride comfortably in the back seat without being on the seats or needing a seat cover. I figured I could make something similar for our 8 month old rescue.

It folds to fit in the under seat storage when not in use and I covered it in some carpet runner material I found at Home Depot (couldn't find a thicker rubber tread mat on short notice, though I might update it in the future for better wipe down ability when dirty).

PXL_20220919_000405548.jpg

PXL_20220919_000850011.MP.jpg

Calypso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1T, Mini Clubman, Porsche 911
Occupation
Biotechnology
Thanks for the great concepts!
I borrowed the cardboard template idea for a very simple bench setup. Our German shepherd likes the view from up high on the seats, but it is a big jump in and out, and I worry about him falling off the seat with sudden braking. I built portable stairs for the him to get onto the full seat. He would just jump over them. So much for that.

I made the bench a 2-piece design: shorter passenger side above the sub and longer driver side above the storage. Both pieces can be cut from a single 1/2”x2’x4’ piece of plywood.
Rivian R1T R1S Dog Platform Bench custom DIY made for R1T back seat IMG_1277
Rivian R1T R1S Dog Platform Bench custom DIY made for R1T back seat IMG_1278

Small piece is 18-1/4” front to back and 19-3/4” long. Long piece is 18-1/4” depth and 28-1/4” long. I used a jigsaw to round the front corners and cut out slots for the plastic protrusions at the seat back. The seat post holes at the rear were drilled with a 3/4” bit (positioned using the impression from fitting the cardboard template over them). These help keep the pieces in place.

Calypso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1T, Mini Clubman, Porsche 911
Occupation
Biotechnology
I cut an old camp sleeping pad and glued it to cover the top and around the front lip. The 4Knines seat cover then covers the pieces in place. The pad lip, seat cover, plus a blanket over the folded up seat bottoms create enough pressure to keep the seats from falling back on the dog. The pieces store in the gear tunnel when I need a seat or the full seat.

Wins: Much easier for the dog to jump in and out. Cradled security against braking.

Cons: Less of a view for the dog. He liked to lie on the seats and be able to see us.
Rivian R1T R1S Dog Platform Bench custom DIY made for R1T back seat IMG_1272
Rivian R1T R1S Dog Platform Bench custom DIY made for R1T back seat IMG_1274
Rivian R1T R1S Dog Platform Bench custom DIY made for R1T back seat IMG_1276
Sponsored