Sponsored

BigginsCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T | El Cap Grey | 20" AT
I saw a video on YouTube of a couple reviewing their R1T a few months ago, and they had created a handy folding platform for the dog to ride comfortably in the back seat without being on the seats or needing a seat cover. I figured I could make something similar for our 8 month old rescue.

It folds to fit in the under seat storage when not in use and I covered it in some carpet runner material I found at Home Depot (couldn't find a thicker rubber tread mat on short notice, though I might update it in the future for better wipe down ability when dirty).

Rivian R1T R1S Dog Platform Bench custom DIY made for R1T back seat PXL_20220919_000405548

Rivian R1T R1S Dog Platform Bench custom DIY made for R1T back seat PXL_20220919_000850011.MP
Sponsored

Last edited:

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Slick, nice setup. I’ll have to look at something similar when the time comes (for the truck. Already have the dog component covered).

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
Very cool
And nice protection of that OC interior :)

May I ask how it folds?

OP
OP

BigginsCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very cool
And nice protection of that OC interior :)

May I ask how it folds?
It's hinged down the middle. The first picture showing it stowed in the storage compartment is folded in half "hot dog style" ;-)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Works perfect! Just what a slightly chunky rescue lab needs for EV adventures!

Sponsored

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
It's hinged down the middle. The first picture showing it stowed in the storage compartment is folded in half "hot dog style" ;-)
You should sell the specs to Rivian. This is 100% something they should offer as a family adventure vehicle.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Looks cool. The rear seats are so high off the ground that I worry about my dogs getting in/out, especially as they get older. This lowers the surface, which is nice! Ability to fold and store is awesome.

Concerns with this approach: will the seat stay folded up like that with no risk of dropping down while moving? does the seat block the air con vents? maybe needs a little extra padding for more comfy ride?

Thanks for sharing!

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I saw a video on YouTube of a couple reviewing their R1T a few months ago, and they had created a handy folding platform for the dog to ride comfortably in the back seat without being on the seats or needing a seat cover. I figured I could make something similar for our 8 month old rescue.

It folds to fit in the under seat storage when not in use and I covered it in some carpet runner material I found at Home Depot (couldn't find a thicker rubber tread mat on short notice, though I might update it in the future for better wipe down ability when dirty).

PXL_20220919_000405548.jpg

PXL_20220919_000850011.MP.jpg

View attachment 31285
Nice work. I'll steal that idea! : )
I'd still use a "hammock" to try to contain some of the hair and dirt, but a solid platform and doggo's own bed is preferable to the seat cushions. Thanks for sharing!

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This is REALLY sweet!

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Awesome job! I was debating something similar. That is the one thing I miss about my Raptor - being able to push the seat up and back (instead of forward) and having a huge landing pad for my lab. The first time I opened the back to my R1T - she looked at me like "are you going to fold that seat up?" When I didn't - she hopped up on the seat.

Sponsored

Yoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Can the rear seats just be removed?

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
I can't recall, does the single seat in the back fold as well? I believe it does but my memory is fading. Currently that's where our PWD sits in my RIdgeline while the 2 kids sit on the 2 back seats.

OP
OP

BigginsCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can't recall, does the single seat in the back fold as well? I believe it does but my memory is fading. Currently that's where our PWD sits in my RIdgeline while the 2 kids sit on the 2 back seats.
It's a 60/40 split, but the "40" side has the sub-woofer underneath so it is flat (no underseat cubby) which limits the length the platform can be and still store as one piece.

Last edited:

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
It's a 60/40 split, but the "40" side has the sub-woofer underneath so it is flat (no understand cubby) which limits the length the platform can be and still store as one piece.
Thanks for letting me know - appreciate that. Will have to figure something out for my pup and the kids.

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looks great! I did something similar though not as fancy. Mine is just a rectangle that covers the whole back seat area and has a furniture pad attached to the top. It fits in the gear tunnel when not in use. It was the Mark I version. Mark II was going to be a custom upholstered 'boat seat' but I really like that yours folds and stows under the seat. Maybe I'll go in that direction.
Sponsored