Sponsored

Does your suspension randomly raise after being parked [Kneel Mode OFF]?

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
When I drive in standard ride height, I notice that my suspension sometimes lowers and the first few minutes I'm driving it stays in a lowered state until I stop at a light for a couple of minutes and then randomly it'll raise to the correct height (some times this is a "smooth raise" and some times it "jumps" up randomly). Note, automatic height is not activated.

Is this normal? Is it just the ride height sensor calibrating itself?

I'll add: more often than not, from park the vehicle will kick on the compressor within the first minute of driving.

***Kneel mode and auto ride height are not activated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

vilhelm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You are in auto ride height. It lowers when you drive at speed for a few minutes for efficiency and then raises back again when you come to a stop for better pothole handling.

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
You are in auto ride height. It lowers when you drive at speed for a few minutes for efficiency and then raises back again when you come to a stop for better pothole handling.
No it isn't activated.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Do you have kneel "mode" enabled? Your vehicle will raise out of kneel mode gradually when you start driving, but once it's back to the set height it should stay there until you park again.

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Do you have kneel "mode" enabled? Your vehicle will raise out of kneel mode gradually when you start driving, but once it's back to the set height it should stay there until you park again.
I just checked, kneel mode was not activated. :/

Sponsored

GatorRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green 2023 R1T
Occupation
Executive
My truck will do the exact same as OP. Not in kneel, not in auto. All purpose standard. Only seems to happen when at a long light about 5 mins after leaving the house. Also maybe exclusively after a long time between drives (ie, first drive of the day).

I am always in all purpose standard and it almost seems like the truck is stretching it's legs given it can go days/weeks without suspension adjusting.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
My truck is feeling it, sometimes you have to dance. Mine does it. I hope they unlock the 90’s rap video mode soon

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
My truck will do the exact same as OP. Not in kneel, not in auto. All purpose standard. Only seems to happen when at a long light about 5 mins after leaving the house. Also maybe exclusively after a long time between drives (ie, first drive of the day).

I am always in all purpose standard and it almost seems like the truck is stretching it's legs given it can go days/weeks without suspension adjusting.

Any thoughts?
I've noticed the same. Not on a regular basis, not every day. Seems random.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

I have also noticed this. Also have kneel mode on, auto-height off. I don't view it as something being wrong as I haven't had an issue of it being like, lopsided or anything. I figure it's just limbering up for a spirited romp...

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
FWIW this was never resolved, but I sold the truck after only a few months.

My R1T needed the right ride height sensor replaced for the suspension as well and that didn't solve it. Rivian service was unable to replicate it at the time.

I hope they offer an air suspension-less version of the truck to avoid the hassle of dealing with these kinds of issues. Might improve the knock as well.

I'm waiting for a dual motor R1T, so would love to continue to hear feedback or stories from others on this issue.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Ever experience loss of tire pressure when temperatures change? Like tires, the air springs are captured volumes if air. Air condenses when temperatures drop and that manifests in drop in pressure and ride height… so based on set height and sensor data, the car adjusts to make up for that delta.

Or, you have leaky air suspension system or component. Or, you have faulty sensor(s) that is providing a false delta. Maybe both, but that would mean it’s moving around a lot and constantly.

GatorRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green 2023 R1T
Occupation
Executive
Thanks for thoughts. I'm south Florida so it's always 80s. I don't think temperature is it.

Also I don't think it is sensors given only presents in very specific set of circumstances. Seal is a little more interesting given it happens after longer breaks in driving so perhaps possible microleak over night and it's trying to get back to correct height. Although it would be weird that it doesn't do it upon being awakened.

Maybe it's just buried somewhere in the software. For me, it's more a curiosity than a concern (knock on wood).

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Ever experience loss of tire pressure when temperatures change? Like tires, the air springs are captured volumes if air. Air condenses when temperatures drop and that manifests in drop in pressure and ride height… so based on set height and sensor data, the car adjusts to make up for that delta.

Or, you have leaky air suspension system or component. Or, you have faulty sensor(s) that is providing a false delta. Maybe both, but that would mean it’s moving around a lot and constantly.
Yeah, it never made me think there's an issue as it only happens at the first stop once I start driving. So, the first stoplight I get to, it will make 2-3 adjustments and then I don't perceive it moving anymore. That seems normal to me that it 1) makes adjustments coming out of kneel mode and 2) waits to do it until I'm stopped for more than 5 seconds. Other than that, I haven't picked up on any unexpected movements or inability to change ride heights in a reasonable timeframe; I've also been able to leave it (parked) in high for a while and I don't come back to it looking like it's in kneel mode, so I don't think there's a leak. In general, I figure this would get a "it's operating in normal capacity" if you asked Rivian Service.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
It will do the same if you brake hard, like after the person ahead of you cut you off and stopped short at intersection. I get why someone never having owned an air suspended car would be hypersensitive (and even apprehensive). And, in some cases there could indeed be caused by defects. However, most of the physical behaviors are not all that foreign or exclusive to this car. I mean, if you leave party balloons in the backyard overnight, they don’t fly as high the next day. Same physical phenomena.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Luckily, Rivian's service chat is always there for you:

Me: Hi! I just had a quick question: I've noticed that after I've parked and start driving, the R1S will make some height adjustments at the first stoplight I hit. Is this normal? like 2-4 adjustments, a little up, a little down, I think
Rivian Service: I would say this is expected in many cases, yes. This will potentially be more pronounced if you have the ride height change set to "Auto" and will depend on what height your vehicle is set to.
Me: ok - I figured as much. I'm not in auto, but I park in kneel and usually drive in standard
Rivian Service: This would significantly contribute by using kneel mode. The vehicle will not come out of "kneel" until it is activated by driving over 5mph. The vehicle will slowly raise back to Standard and it may be noticeable when stopped.
Me: ahhh, that's useful. Thank you!
Rivian Service: If you set your ride height to Low, you would be at the same height as Kneel. In this case, I wouldn't expect the vehicle to adjust in this way.
Sponsored