Sponsored

Does your suspension randomly raise after being parked [Kneel Mode OFF]?

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Mine as well in fact after I exited the truck yesterday I was leaning on the side of the truck viewing my phone when it raised a bit for no apparent reason. A mind of its own
Sponsored

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Luckily, Rivian's service chat is always there for you:

Me: Hi! I just had a quick question: I've noticed that after I've parked and start driving, the R1S will make some height adjustments at the first stoplight I hit. Is this normal? like 2-4 adjustments, a little up, a little down, I think
Rivian Service: I would say this is expected in many cases, yes. This will potentially be more pronounced if you have the ride height change set to "Auto" and will depend on what height your vehicle is set to.
Me: ok - I figured as much. I'm not in auto, but I park in kneel and usually drive in standard
Rivian Service: This would significantly contribute by using kneel mode. The vehicle will not come out of "kneel" until it is activated by driving over 5mph. The vehicle will slowly raise back to Standard and it may be noticeable when stopped.
Me: ahhh, that's useful. Thank you!
Rivian Service: If you set your ride height to Low, you would be at the same height as Kneel. In this case, I wouldn't expect the vehicle to adjust in this way.
I never used kneel mode. In fact, I don't believe it was even an available feature when I had my truck. I was also driving in steady 80-90 degrees in Texas, so doubtful that's a factor.

At the time the Rivian service center told me it shouldn't be happening but couldn't replicate. They tested for leaks but didn't determine there was anything unusual there.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Mine as well in fact after I exited the truck yesterday I was leaning on the side of the truck viewing my phone when it raised a bit for no apparent reason. A mind of its own
It may have been reacting to the fact that leaning on it moved the vehicle. Even when the suspension isn’t in Auto, it will automatically adjust to maintain the set height as weight is added, removed, and shifted.

GatorRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green 2023 R1T
Occupation
Executive
It will do the same if you brake hard, like after the person ahead of you cut you off and stopped short at intersection. I get why someone never having owned an air suspended car would be hypersensitive (and even apprehensive). And, in some cases there could indeed be caused by defects. However, most of the physical behaviors are not all that foreign or exclusive to this car. I mean, if you leave party balloons in the backyard overnight, they don’t fly as high the next day. Same physical phenomena.
Thanks. I am familiar with air suspension. It is not that I am surprised by it having to do adjustments. It is the when and why of what triggers it that is a curiosity to me.

Hard braking has never elicited the same behavior for me.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Thanks. I am familiar with air suspension. It is not that I am surprised by it having to do adjustments. It is the when and why of what triggers it that is a curiosity to me.

Hard braking has never elicited the same behavior for me.
Didn't brake hard enough. :) Anyway, whatever set height, the vehicle will do its programmed job and try to maintain that height.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Didn't brake hard enough. :) Anyway, whatever set height, the vehicle will do its programmed job and try to maintain that height.
I just had the hard braking cause the truck to adjust the front end yesterday.

rpmtexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5 Diesel with Lift Kit, Jeep Grand Cherokee
My R1S has had issues, lowering way down when parked, not sitting level (left right), frequent adjustments when driving. They have found a leak and a faulty valve. Back in for the third time as truck still doesn’t sit level (left right), does the moving during first few minutes of driving trick, and recently lowered itself randomly when parked causing lift gate to hit me on the head while unloading. If the regular movements when auto and kneel are off is a “normal” thing, it would be helpful if they put together a big write up to explain it.

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
My R1S has had issues, lowering way down when parked, not sitting level (left right), frequent adjustments when driving. They have found a leak and a faulty valve. Back in for the third time as truck still doesn’t sit level (left right), does the moving during first few minutes of driving trick, and recently lowered itself randomly when parked causing lift gate to hit me on the head while unloading. If the regular movements when auto and kneel are off is a “normal” thing, it would be helpful if they put together a big write up to explain it.
This is why I hope they provide a standard suspension option in the future. Air suspensions offer comfort and flexibility but introduce many many issues, especially over time.
Sponsored