Sponsored

Does Rivian have an OBD-II (OBD 2) Port?

OP
OP

bornagain3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Odyssey EXL NAVI/RES
My Bolt has the port, but when connecting my OBD-ll reader, it provides nothing useful. But I can get any diagnostics from the MyChevrolet App that is connected via OnStar. I even get emails from them, such as low tire pressure warnings.
That's because the off-the-shelf scan tool cannot correctly interpret the data from your Bolt. Only the OEM factory/service tool knows how to read such data - although there are some standardized stuff (DTCs, for example) but large portions of diagnostic messages are up to Manufacturers.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They won't be alone, and I'm certainly not trying to blame Rivian for going this route if they choose to. My issue is more with the insurance companies not giving a crap. Per-mile customers are a pretty tiny percentage of the universe of car insurance customers. Out of that tiny percentage, an even tinier number will have vehicles without OBD-II ports. That's why I see insurance companies just saying 'well, tough luck, buddy' and proceeding to concentrate on the remaining 99.9% of their customers.
I'm not a fan of insurance-related dongles -- privacy concerns. But if people really want them, then insurance companies could partner with the manufacturers to make an "app" that can be installed in the vehicles infotainment system.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I don't think the term OBD there means the physical OBD-II port under the steering wheel. It rather refers to the On-Board Diagnostic standards (ISO-, SAE-).

From the description could be or not, but sure seems like it.

THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:

· BS in Engineering (preferably Electrical, Mechanical, Mechatronics or Software related discipline)
· 7+ years of experience in an Engineering role
· 5+ years of experience in diagnostics and/or functional safety systems development
· 2+ years of technical leadership
· Familiarity with Vector and/or Peak CAN based diagnostic tools
· Familiarity with vehicle communication protocols (CAN, CANFD, DoCAN, DoIP, ETH, LIN, XCP, SENT, etc.)
· Familiarity with diagnostic standards (ISO-14229, SAE J2012, SAE J1979/ISO-15031, SAE J1962, etc.)
· Familiarity with SAE J2012-DA and SAE J1979-DA is a plus
· Experience in OBD-II, (cyber)security, and telematics is a plus

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I'm not a fan of insurance-related dongles -- privacy concerns. But if people really want them, then insurance companies could partner with the manufacturers to make an "app" that can be installed in the vehicles infotainment system.
I agree, which is why on my device I only allow my provider to get the miles and disable the location tracking. The app route sounds cumbersome and I doubt they’ll do this unless there’s enough customers driving evs. Maybe in a few years?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The app route sounds cumbersome and I doubt they’ll do this unless there’s enough customers driving evs. Maybe in a few years?
Yeah, I doubt the insurance industry would take an app based approach when they could more easily pull that data from a Rivian API should Rivian (and the consumer) choose to make that data available. That also raises questions of data privacy, security and whether Rivian might choose to charge a fee for access to this data (or custumer managed subsets of data). Presumably though, Rivian's own insurance division (when/if it materializes) would have access to all vehicle telemetry which might be one of the ways they are able to offer more competitive rates.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Yeah, I doubt the insurance industry would take an app based approach when they could more easily pull that data from a Rivian API should Rivian (and the consumer) choose to make that data available. That also raises questions of data privacy, security and whether Rivian might choose to charge a fee for access to this data (or custumer managed subsets of data). Presumably though, Rivian's own insurance division (when/if it materializes) would have access to all vehicle telemetry which might be one of the ways they are able to offer more competitive rates.
Definitely some interesting use cases for insurance - like how soon before the crash was the brake pedal depressed? How fast was the vehicle traveling? Were the driver's eyes on the road or somewhere else? I'm torn on all of that because the privacy angle definitely rubs me the wrong way and this starts to get very Black Mirror ...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Rivian will offer their own insurance (plenty of articles out there about it), and no doubt it will use your driving habits to determine rates.

Part of the reason I want a Rivian is to drive it "enthusiastically", so their insurance is a no for me...

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Part of the reason I want a Rivian is to drive it "enthusiastically", so their insurance is a no for me...
When we switched to our current insurance company, we physically sat down with a local agent (lives in the neighborhood actually). Might be showing our age, but personal contact and actually meeting the people we do business with holds value to us. He actually cut the meeting slightly short to go help a client change a flat tire.
Anyway, as he was explaining their version of monitored driving and the potential discounts it offered, he was shaking his head "no" the whole time.
Like it or not, modern vehicles all have their version of airplane "black boxes" that record recent driving parameters. Tesla (and other manufacturers) have been able to use the data to show that the most common (sole?) cause of unintended acceleration is the user pressing the wrong pedal. Insurance companies and law enforcement do not (as yet) unencumbered access to this data and I hope it stay that way.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

As we get closer to deliveries, I would like to refresh this topic and hope someone can either discover a standard OBD port, or another diagnostic port in the car.
I hope we can find some connection to the CANbus communications so we can read diagnostic and performance data.
I reverse engineered the can communications for Tesla's Model 3 when it came out, and I would really like to do the same for the Rivian. It's incredibly helpful for understanding how it ticks, and what decisions software is making, especially when technical questions arise in forums.
If anyone comes across any clues, let me know.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Rivian will offer their own insurance (plenty of articles out there about it), and no doubt it will use your driving habits to determine rates.

If we all drive enthusiastically but don't get in any accidents maybe... No ya I'm screwed especially on the way to work when I'm late... or every time I have someone new get in and I show them what the future feels like.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Does Rivian have an OBD-II (OBD 2) Port? 36B2F9C7-8A5F-4635-AF44-7473F7641793

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I got the passenger side as well.
Rivian R1T R1S Does Rivian have an OBD-II (OBD 2) Port? 827A0F37-31BF-48F9-B388-EB8FBCFFE826

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
My Bolt has the port, but when connecting my OBD-ll reader, it provides nothing useful. But I can get any diagnostics from the MyChevrolet App that is connected via OnStar. I even get emails from them, such as low tire pressure warnings.
Bolt.. is that one one on fire in the garage?