Sponsored

Does cruise control on the R1T drive anyone else insane?

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I love my R1T, and I find driver plus to generally be pretty good, but the adaptive cruise alone is awful. Yes, there's still phantom braking. Yes, it overreacts when you're closing in on a car (why cant it slow more gradually?). Yes, it gives up when it's raining, and it doesn't let you fall back to "normal" (non-radar) cruise control. Those have all been discussed elsewhere though, I think.

The thing that drives me nuts is the fact that it loves to arbitrarily but intentionally brake mid-turn. Who thought this was a good idea, and why can we not turn it off? There's absolutely no reason for the vehicle to do this. It's limit driving 101: if I'm already in a turn, my tires clearly have enough traction for the turn. Applying brakes mid-turn is only going to ask for more traction from the tires, and make loss of control more likely. Now, I'm not suggesting that I'm setting cruise so high that I'm actually concerned about losing traction due to the braking 99% of the time, but the point is that braking certainly isn't justified, and it's almost certainly worse than not braking. Not to mention it just makes for a very not-smooth ride. If I was on a road that I thought I needed to slow for the corners, I wouldn't use cruise.

Am I alone? I just want to be able to turn this off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Even on the most recent updated software, my Model Y has phantom braking and aggressively brakes when approaching a slowing vehicle. Our previous CX-5 auto cruise control was way smoother, as was our previous Volvo XC60. Dont know if its a EV thing, but thats my experience so far.

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
I generally have good results with the adaptive cruise control feature and have gotten used to most of its attributes. Two issues.

1)The slow creep back up to speed after changing a lane is problematic. If I'm doing 73 and I come upon a car doing 65, the truck starts slowing down - all good. Totally understandable.​
Changing into the adjacent lane that is clear should allow the truck to ramp back up to 73. Unfortunately, there is a considerable delay in this happening. In the 5 to 10 seconds that the truck begins to ramp up in speed, the other cars that were behind me (and switched lanes too) are right on my tail as I'm now going 65 keeping pace with the car in the previous lane I just attempted to pass. The ramp back up to speed should happen moderately without much of a delay.​
2) The lack of usable cruise control on a controlled access road in the rain is a big miss. The truck should default to standard cruise (like is available while towing) during those times when the adaptive cruise control sensor is impaired by light/ moderate rain.​

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Yes, it overreacts when you're closing in on a car (why cant it slow more gradually?)
I've never had this problem. Just the opposite in fact; my R1T slows down so smoothly it's imperceptible - I don't realize my speed is being limited by the car in front of me until I look down and see my speedometer. I would like some sort of visual or even optional audio indicator to let me know that the speed is being limited.

Changing into the adjacent lane that is clear should allow the truck to ramp back up to 73. Unfortunately, there is a considerable delay in this happening. In the 5 to 10 seconds that the truck begins to ramp up in speed, the other cars that were behind me (and switched lanes too) are right on my tail as I'm now going 65 keeping pace with the car in the previous lane I just attempted to pass. The ramp back up to speed should happen moderately without much of a delay.
Yes, this is an annoyance. Doing this better is a requirement if they plan to implement lane change assist, so perhaps this is already on the roadmap for improvement.

Sponsored

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
I don't use my CC on a daily basis but, when I do, I fully agree with your statement. It does not know enough about the surrounding traffic (not just traffic ahead), changing conditions, and my intentions, to suit my driving style in all scenarios. Let me turn the ACC off and just use a standard CC IF I so choose.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Does CC have a "resume" button that I'm missing?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have tried a lot of ACCs and don't like most of them. I don't like Rivian driver + and living in a dense city I don't have much cause to use it other than on weekend road trips.

The SuperCruise in a Cadillac was the only one I've ever tried that actually felt natural.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Does CC have a "resume" button that I'm missing?
I don't think so? Which I think points to my biggest annoyance - I'd rather just have traditional cruise control options most of the time. Until the cars are able to really handle the auto braking and lane keeping in a more natural way.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I am very satisfied and happy with ACC. Not perfect, but very good for me. I agree it is too slow with the accelerating back to speed, but nice that you can nudge the accelerator to fix that without it disengaging. It does need a resume option, but then again, that's a first world problem. I have driven many miles on a 55 mile road that slows to 45 and 35 through a couple of towns and traffic lights. With a car in front of me I have done most of it without ever touching anything with my feet and I like using my fingers to adjust the speed more than my feet.

Sponsored

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
All your points are valid.

the deceleration/acceleration, I believe you are referencing, is stop & go type traffic…it’s not worth using.

njech7

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Porsche Cayenne Manual
Occupation
Sales
My issue with ACC is for my aggressive nature, sometime the car is slowing and I don't think it should be even with the closest setting. And now I'm looking for a lane change sooner. :) I've noticed the slowing down in a curve, but I don't know if I feel it's braking other than the regenative braking that occurs when taking the foot off the gas.

For Driver+, I was an idiot for about a month and didn't read the manual and was not engaging it. Now that I do, I can't stand that it turns off when I have to initiate a lane change. It should just disable until I get into the next lane and start again. Hopefully that gets fixed in a software update.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
It's generally worked for me but I want to have a setting to define acceptable distance variation or something. It doesn't drive as smoothly and naturally as I would (and I think this is pretty common in adaptive cruise systems.)

If I get 5ft closer to the target car don't immediately slow down - just slowly coast it a bit to try to correct that gap, the further from the target range I get the more aggressive the car should get in trying to maintain the distance, but as it stands now it just does exactly what the car in front does, and often the car in front is driving like the gas pedal is an on-off switch. I hate it because it shows how shitty everyone else drives. At the same time it's pretty relaxed in accelerating to the point that people jam themselves in my lane and slow me down even more, the target cruise gap needs to adjust with speed (low speed = smaller gap) and if they're getting too far ahead the R1 should get a move on based on how far it is from target distance.

It seems like it should be pretty simple PID control:
- How far from target distance are you? If farther apply more acceleration (P)
- How fast is this gap increasing/decreasing? - If quickly apply more acceleration (D)
- Are you drifting from the target distance over time? Adjust accordingly (I)

I don't want to feel the herky-jerky driving of the car in front of me because a computer is trying to maintain an exact follow distance. No (sane) human would do that and there are enough insane ones driving already.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
If it make you feel better, our '22 honda pilot also has serious phantom braking issues and is very stressful to use adaptive CC on the highway with.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
That’s Wierd. My Hyundai kona Ev does really well. Gradually slows down to match the car in front. Unless someone changes lanes and jumps into that gap then it slows down pretty harshly.
but if I change lanes it starts accelerating as soon as I turn the turn signal on almost like it’s as impatient to get around the slow mo as I am.

this is my first acc and it’s impressed me.
Sponsored