Sponsored

Does anyone with 22s not have steering wheel vibration at high speeds?

Do you have steering wheel shake?

• Total voters

MudphudX

First Name
Xiaosong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T launch green
Occupation
Physician
I know this thread has come up before with some people stating that they don't have issues with steering wheel vibration at all and some people confirming that they do, so I'm wondering if there is a correlation with rim size.

I currently have 22s on my R1T and get a pretty bad steering wheel vibration above 80 mph that gets worse as I go faster and shakes the wheel and my hand. The vibration actually goes away when the wheel is slightly turned going around a curve on the highway. Rivian service said this is a known issue that engineering is aware of and working on a fix but no fix currently. Rivian service actually refused to balance my tires, saying that since it is fine below 80, it is not a wheel balance issue.

However, I have not had this steering wheel shake on a loaner with 21s, and one of the owners I met at the service center said his R1T with 21s did not have this steering wheel shake at all. I also spoke to another owner and he said the steering wheel shake was only on the Pirellis and not present when he had winter tires on the 22s.

So, trying to gather some data to see if it would be worth it to switch from my 22s to 21s as the steering wheel shake makes driving the R1T on the highways uncomfortable.
Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I haven't noticed it with my 22s, but I rarely go 80+...so, if you are at, say, 75, then no problem?

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
I rotated my tires a few thousand miles ago and noted the shaking after that, I had my local shop put it on a lift and balance my tires and that cut down a huge chunk of the shake but it is still there over 80mph. They said my front passenger wheel was a couple ounces off balance.

OP
OP

MudphudX

First Name
Xiaosong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T launch green
Occupation
Physician
I haven't noticed it with my 22s, but I rarely go 80+...so, if you are at, say, 75, then no problem?
It is mildly there under 80 but you wouldn't notice the shake unless you took your hand off the wheel. Above 80 is when the shaking is so bad your entire hand/arm shakes along with the wheel.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I have a small bit of shake on highway above 70. Its not enough to complain about. Steering wheel ever so slightly off to the left and first available service appt is in July to do a wheel alignment. Neither issue is severe enough for me to have the vehicle towed so I am living with it until I can drive it in to a customer facing SC.

OP
OP

MudphudX

First Name
Xiaosong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T launch green
Occupation
Physician
I rotated my tires a few thousand miles ago and noted the shaking after that, I had my local shop put it on a lift and balance my tires and that cut down a huge chunk of the shake but it is still there over 80mph. They said my front passenger wheel was a couple ounces off balance.
What shop did you take it to?

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
What shop did you take it to?
Just my shop a mile down the road, we pulled the frame panels and put it on his lift and he did a good ole fashioned balance on each wheel.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
First 4 months with 22" OE wheels - didn't notice any shaking, even after rotating in the spare.
Next two months with 20" OE wheels - nothing
I'm two months into switching back to the 22"s and I'm starting to notice the shake > 75mph. It's not bad, but noticeable and not something I've experienced on other vehicles, including my last pickup that had 22" OE wheels. It's enough to make me want to go check the lug torque just in case.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I have a lot of steering wheel shakes on my R1T with 22" wheels. Been for service 4 times. Alignment and balance and rotation has not fixed it.

My R1S with 22" wheels is perfect with no issues with the steering wheel vibrating.

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I have a small bit of shake on highway above 70. Its not enough to complain about. Steering wheel ever so slightly off to the left and first available service appt is in July to do a wheel alignment. Neither issue is severe enough for me to have the vehicle towed so I am living with it until I can drive it in to a customer facing SC.
While waiting for an alignment, try turning lane centering off...might do the trick. My sense of lane centering and that of the software was the issue for me.

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

This could be related to your issue?

April 25, 2023MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: RCA-10-23-002-1
Components: STEERING

NHTSA ID Number: 10235683
Manufacturer Communication Number: RCA-10-23-002-1
Summary
Rivian is initiating a customer satisfaction campaign for some model year 2022 and 2023 R1T and R1S vehicles. On these vehicles, the steering wheel may not be properly aligned to the steering rack. This condition is noticeable to the customer but would not result in any changes in the performance of the vehicle. Rivian will inspect the steering wheel alignment and, if necessary, realign the components. Rivian is launching this campaign for customer satisfaction and to ensure the quality of Rivian vehicles.
4 Affected Products
Vehicles
MAKEMODELYEAR
RIVIANR1S2022-2023
RIVIANR1T2022-2023

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

While waiting for an alignment, try turning lane centering off...might do the trick. My sense of lane centering and that of the software was the issue for me.
Yes same. I turned this off on day 1. I had actually rented an R1T on Turo so I kind of knew what to expect. It had the AT but steering wheel was centered up so I know mine is just a little off. I have about 2000 miles on and don't notice any abnormal tire wear or cupping.

Otherwise truck drives beautiful...Driver + also works great so it may be just the TSB you posted in my case. I took the aero covers off and the slight shaking seemed to have been lessened.

Msq4x

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Construction manager
I have the shakes. It's annoying, and slightly scarry at 80+. Not noticeable under 80 at least. New tires (went with Goodyears) and balance didn't fix it. Service center still updates as an engineering issue.
Sponsored