Sponsored

Does Anyone on this forum also have a Mustang Mach E Reservation?

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
Hi Everyone,

I am curious - does anyone else on this forum also have a Mustang Mach E reservation? I have a reservation for both vehicles and I will have to choose between the two - am I the only one? The dates in front of me are this:
  • Rivian Configurator 11/16
  • Mustang Mach E Manufacture Week - 12/14/20
  • Estimated Delivery to my Ford Dealer - 01/02/21
Here are my thoughts:
I love the Rivian for it's technology and elegance of the R1S, but I am very concerned about limited selection for earlier deliveries, the fact that technically it is not legal to buy a vehicle from Rivian in my state at this time how will they actually deliver if they don't get the legislation passed?, and that to get an earlier delivery that the cost will be significantly ($20k or more) higher than the Mach E.($59K)

When I consider the Mach E, I worry that it is technically Ford's first full EV (you could say the same for Rivian), I would rather buy the car without a dealer but I do think my dealer is reliable, (my dealer is EV certified and will be there for any service issues), the vehicle is closer to a CUV rather than a SUV, the Mach E comes with people who hate it because it is on the Mustang platform - could my car get vandalized? I suppose this is a risk for all EVs, although it might be awhile before those who "Roll Coal" will recognize a Rivian :-D I do have to say that I have received 100% more communication from Ford that I have from Rivian....

I would love to ear your thoughts on this conundrum...
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Have you considered what your actual requirements are for this vehicle? There is nothing in your post that indicates either vehicle meets any particular need. If you just need something with 4 wheels and an electric motor(s), why spend more for the Rivian? For that matter, why the Mach-E? Why not a Tesla Model 3 or a Bolt? A Mach-E isn't even a consideration for me because it doesn't meet my actual needs/requirements.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Hi Everyone,

I am curious - does anyone else on this forum also have a Mustang Mach E reservation? I have a reservation for both vehicles and I will have to choose between the two - am I the only one? The dates in front of me are this:
  • Rivian Configurator 11/16
  • Mustang Mach E Manufacture Week - 12/14/20
  • Estimated Delivery to my Ford Dealer - 01/02/21
Here are my thoughts:
I love the Rivian for it's technology and elegance of the R1S, but I am very concerned about limited selection for earlier deliveries, the fact that technically it is not legal to buy a vehicle from Rivian in my state at this time how will they actually deliver if they don't get the legislation passed?, and that to get an earlier delivery that the cost will be significantly ($20k or more) higher than the Mach E.($59K)

When I consider the Mach E, I worry that it is technically Ford's first full EV (you could say the same for Rivian), I would rather buy the car without a dealer but I do think my dealer is reliable, (my dealer is EV certified and will be there for any service issues), the vehicle is closer to a CUV rather than a SUV, the Mach E comes with people who hate it because it is on the Mustang platform - could my car get vandalized? I suppose this is a risk for all EVs, although it might be awhile before those who "Roll Coal" will recognize a Rivian :-D I do have to say that I have received 100% more communication from Ford that I have from Rivian....

I would love to ear your thoughts on this conundrum...
Could you expound on the illegal to sell you one in WA? Tesla has stores and sells directly so not sure why Rivian could not.

And they are indeed very different vehicles with different capabilities and strengths.

Only an impression, but the Rivian seems to "speak" to you a bit more (how I wound up with a Ducati instead of a Yamaha). Only you can decide if it is worth the additional $$ and wait time.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Stupid franchise dealer laws. It was tweaked for just Tesla, but the bill that would have allowed other EV manufacturers to sell direct didn't make it out of committee during the last legislative session.

Pretty sure you'll still be able to buy directly online, which is Rivian's model anyways. And I guarantee they have a plan for getting you your vehicle (even if it means an agent takes delivery on your behalf in another state and brings the vehicle to you or some other legal shenanigans like that...).

OP
OP
RockDaphne98296

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Could you expound on the illegal to sell you one in WA? Tesla has stores and sells directly so not sure why Rivian could not.

And they are indeed very different vehicles with different capabilities and strengths.

Only an impression, but the Rivian seems to "speak" to you a bit more (how I wound up with a Ducati instead of a Yamaha). Only you can decide if it is worth the additional $$ and wait time.
So my understanding is that Tesla got a waiver against the classic new cars have to be sold via an approved dealer law in Washington, so any car manufacturer is not covered by the Tesla waiver and would have to have to either apply for a waiver or get the law changed allowing them to deliver cars to buyers in the state. I believe this is the case in multiple states - I contacted my legislator last year and they confirmed that Rivian applied to be considered as well but Washington State did get the proposal in for the 2019 legislature and then COVID-19 hit. I have not seen any announcements from the state saying that Rivian has been approved. I saw a thread or comment somewhere saying that if Rivian didn't get this approved then you may have to take delivery outside of the state...

Sponsored

OP
OP
RockDaphne98296

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Stupid franchise dealer laws. It was tweaked for just Tesla, but the bill that would have allowed other EV manufacturers to sell direct didn't make it out of committee during the last legislative session.

Pretty sure you'll still be able to buy directly online, which is Rivian's model anyways. And I guarantee they have a plan for getting you your vehicle (even if it means an agent takes delivery on your behalf in another state and brings the vehicle to you or some other legal shenanigans like that...).
Agreed- on all accounts - I have no doubt that Rivian and I would find a way to deliver the car
:-D

OP
OP
RockDaphne98296

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Have you considered what your actual requirements are for this vehicle? There is nothing in your post that indicates either vehicle meets any particular need. If you just need something with 4 wheels and an electric motor(s), why spend more for the Rivian? For that matter, why the Mach-E? Why not a Tesla Model 3 or a Bolt? A Mach-E isn't even a consideration for me because it doesn't meet my actual needs/requirements.
My lifestyle is that of an outdoor person who works - weekdays on the freeway and weekends in the woods - we have three hunting dogs who we keep busy with training and activities yearlong in addition to Upland Season Sept to November each year. I have driven in my lifetime everything from a 1972 Datsun 510 modified for road rallying to a Jaguar XJ6, to a Volvo XC90 to a F-350. I currently own a 2017 Ford Fusion PHEV and a 2016 Ford F-350 with my husband. I was happiest with my SUVs - A Ford Explorer was my first brand new vehicle and I drove it until it died, I then went for the Volvo XC70 and missed the height, so I went for the XC90 - comfort, performance, and a SUV. I loved the XC90 with all of my heart. I bought the Fusion PHEV to prove out my interest in going full electric and to get away from the $70/week gas habit, I love the response of the EV side of my PHEV and not having to stop for gas each week - but I miss the SUV space and the AWD during our winters and basically year round rain. Ever since then I have been saying that if I could get an Electric SUV I would buy it in a heartbeat. When Rivian came around, I was thrilled! I reserved almost immediately - Feb 2019. Then Ford released the Mach E in Nov - I have owned 5 Ford's so it was a no brainer to reserve one too - I wanted to see where it would lead... I thought of having both as an insurance policy, one for the other - but I am pleased both are coming to fruition.

To be honest, if I wanted to drive a Tesla, I would have bought one a long time ago - something about them rubs me the wrong way. I have heard good things about the Chevy Bolt - but I am not looking for another sedan/hatchback.

I think I would be happy with either the Rivian or the Mach E, I just might have a little more pocket change with the Mach E :-D

Last edited:

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
My lifestyle is that of an outdoor person who works - weekdays on the freeway and weekends in the woods - we have three hunting dogs who we keep busy with training and activities yearlong in addition to Upland Season Sept to November each year. I have driven in my lifetime everything from a 1972 Datsun 510 modified for road rallying to a Jaguar XJ6, to a Volvo XC90 to a F-350. I currently own a 2017 Ford Fusion PHEV and a 2016 Ford F-350 with my husband. I was happiest with my SUVs - A Ford Explorer was my first brand new vehicle and I drove it until it died, I then went for the Volvo XC70 and missed the height, so I went for the XC90 - comfort, performance, and a SUV. I loved the XC90 with all of my heart. I bought the Fusion PHEV to prove out my interest in going full electric and to get away from the $70/week gas habit, I love the response of the EV side of my PHEV and not having to stop for gas each week - but I miss the SUV space and the AWD during our winters and basically year round rain. Ever since then I have been saying that if I could get an Electric SUV I would buy it in a heartbeat. When Rivian came around, I was thrilled! I reserved almost immediately - Feb 2019. Then Ford released the Mach E in Nov - I have owned 5 Ford's so it was a no brainer to reserve one too - I wanted to see where it would lead... I thought of having both as an insurance policy, one for the other - but I am pleased both are coming to fruition.

To be honest, if I wanted to drive a Tesla, I would have bought one a long time ago - something about them rubs me the wrong way. I have heard good things about the Chevy Bolt - but I am not looking for another sedan/hatchback.

I think I would be happy with either the Rvian or the Mach E, I just might a little more pocket change with the Mach E :-D
My first test drive with Tesla was in 2007 and off and on since. When I got close to hitting the order button I would read the experience's of the owners and back off. Last month I bought a 2020 bolt and have not been disappointed and yes time will tell. I have been a Rivian preorder for 2 years. I will definitely try to get the launch edition Monday along with many others. Let hope they don't sell out as fast as the Hummer but for the $100 deposit I think many were not serious.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
To me it sounds like the Rivian is the better fit but you could probably make the Mach-E work if you wanted/needed to keep the cost down.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
we have three hunting dogs who we keep busy with training and activities yearlong in addition to Upland Season Sept to November each year
Spaniels, GSPs, Weims, Vizslas...?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RockDaphne98296

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Spaniels, GSPs, Weims, Vizslas...?
Two English Cocker Spaniels and 1 Senior English Springer Spaniel; and yes we bought those chairs just for them :-D, the second pic is Pheasant Hunting in the PacNW - Coastal Rainforest Style...

Rivian R1T R1S Does Anyone on this forum also have a Mustang Mach E Reservation? Meri, Pippin and Rufus
Rivian R1T R1S Does Anyone on this forum also have a Mustang Mach E Reservation? Meri and Pippin at work

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Two English Cocker Spaniels and 1 Senior English Springer Spaniel; and yes we bought those chairs just for them :-D, the second pic is Pheasant Hunting in the PacNW - Coastal rainforest Style...
Sounds to me like you need all the room you can get, which might sway you to the R1S over the Mach E... ;)

I have a Vizsla that's a much better pointer than retriever, but I probably don't get him enough practice either...

OP
OP
RockDaphne98296

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Sounds to me like you need all the room you can get, which might sway you to the R1S over the Mach E... ;)

I have a Vizsla that's a much better pointer than retriever, but I probably don't get him enough practice either...
I agree on the spacing - and maybe in this current environment ( I work in commercial aerospace and nobody is spending money on their planes right now) waiting a year or two wouldn't be a bad idea... these boys are pure flushers, two retrieve well, the third is still working on regular retrieves - he does well in practice but in the field he tends to pick up the bird and then either drop it and let the others bring it back or drop it just out of reach...

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
I have an early reservation for the ME. I was planning to hold off for the GT with Performance package, but now I’m leaning towards the R1T if I can make my late entry into the Launch Edition stick.