Sponsored

Does Anyone on this forum also have a Mustang Mach E Reservation?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Tesla has an exception in the WAC. However, I don't think it's illegal for them to sell them to you, just for them to sell them to you in a store without a dealer.
You are right. Tesla was erroneously granted a license in this state, and has been grandfathered into legal sales. All other newcomers (Rivian, Lucid, Lordstown, etc..) will not be allowed direct sales IAW current law.
I did, however, ask my Guide how this will work and, as others here have postulated, the sale will be conducted out of Illinois. Rivian will assist with all registration and licensing in WA state, however.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You are right. Tesla was erroneously granted a license in this state, and has been grandfathered into legal sales. All other newcomers (Rivian, Lucid, Lordstown, etc..) will not be allowed direct sales IAW current law.
I did, however, ask my Guide how this will work and, as others here have postulated, the sale will be conducted out of Illinois. Rivian will assist with all registration and licensing in WA state, however.
They'll just ship it to your house then, right?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks @godfodder0901. Just wanted to make sure that was clear for anyone (rightly) confused by the State law.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Georgia has a similar situation where Tesla is currently the only automaker who can do direct sales (through a manufacturer-owned dealer). There was legislation in the General Assembly this year to allow other companies to do direct sales, but it did not pass. I know both Rivian and Lucid were at the committee hearings for it.

And in GA, it's a statutory exception that specifically names Tesla and allows them up to 5 sales locations in the state. It is not just a matter of a licensing process. The General Assembly and Governor would have to pass and sign new legislation to allow Rivian, Lucid, etc. to sell directly without using an independent dealership. It's so stupid, but we have similar restrictions on alcohol sales as well. At least breweries and distilleries are finally able to sell limited quantities directly from the production facility (usually a tap room/bar type setting) as of a few years ago!

Sponsored

OP
OP
RockDaphne98296

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
I am so glad to hear that this is working out - I knew of course that it would, but glad to see a path forward. I was shocked to find out a few days that some good friends of mine have Rivian reservation now too. I am happy with my Mach E, but not opposed to 5 years from now trading up to a Rivian - I still love everything about Rivian... That F-150 Lightening looks solid sexy too!

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Georgia has a similar situation where Tesla is currently the only automaker who can do direct sales (through a manufacturer-owned dealer). There was legislation in the General Assembly this year to allow other companies to do direct sales, but it did not pass. I know both Rivian and Lucid were at the committee hearings for it.

And in GA, it's a statutory exception that specifically names Tesla and allows them up to 5 sales locations in the state. It is not just a matter of a licensing process. The General Assembly and Governor would have to pass and sign new legislation to allow Rivian, Lucid, etc. to sell directly without using an independent dealership. It's so stupid, but we have similar restrictions on alcohol sales as well. At least breweries and distilleries are finally able to sell limited quantities directly from the production facility (usually a tap room/bar type setting) as of a few years ago!
Yea nothing likely to change any time soon here in Georgia given state senator and President Pro Tempore of said Senate is Butch Miller. He owns a car dealership and is quite active in advocating against direct to consumer (electric) car sales.

As you mention, only within the last few years could I legally walk in to one of the 40 breweries in the state and bring out a six pack. I guess my legislature was somehow working in my best interest there? Was I being protected somehow by the wholesalers? It look an enormous grass roots campaign and hundreds of thousands of dollars to alter the law. Just as in many other places, Georgia's legislature has long been in the pocket of the best funded and most established lobbies. But I digress.

I look forward to whatever sneaky workaround Rivian employs. I'm guessing we have to "buy" the car in another state. Then Georgia will get none of the sales tax revenue. Our loss!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yea nothing likely to change any time soon here in Georgia given state senator and President Pro Tempore of said Senate is Butch Miller. He owns a car dealership and is quite active in advocating against direct to consumer (electric) car sales.

As you mention, only within the last few years could I legally walk in to one of the 40 breweries in the state and bring out a six pack. I guess my legislature was somehow working in my best interest there? Was I being protected somehow by the wholesalers? It look an enormous grass roots campaign and hundreds of thousands of dollars to alter the law. Just as in many other places, Georgia's legislature has long been in the pocket of the best funded and most established lobbies. But I digress.

I look forward to whatever sneaky workaround Rivian employs. I'm guessing we have to "buy" the car in another state. Then Georgia will get none of the sales tax revenue. Our loss!
Georgia will still get the tax revenue. If the out-of-state seller is registered with GA Dept. of Revenue, they’ll just collect the GA taxes and forward them just like they would if they were in Georgia. If they’re not, a reciprocal agreement between Georgia and the other state would have the taxes collected and sent to the DOR for the legal state of the sale, and that state will “forward” the taxes to GA — they really just net out all taxes being passed back and forth instead of forwarding your specific amount. Or, the worst case for you: neither of those apply and you have to pay taxes in two states.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Georgia will still get the tax revenue. If the out-of-state seller is registered with GA Dept. of Revenue, they’ll just collect the GA taxes and forward them just like they would if they were in Georgia. If they’re not, a reciprocal agreement between Georgia and the other state would have the taxes collected and sent to the DOR for the legal state of the sale, and that state will “forward” the taxes to GA — they really just net out all taxes being passed back and forth instead of forwarding your specific amount. Or, the worst case for you: neither of those apply and you have to pay taxes in two states.
The last scenario is the one I have been dreading.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
The last scenario is the one I have been dreading.
I don't live in GA, but I would be surprised if you have to pay taxes twice. I live in VA, and have purchased three cars from out of state: two from FL, one from IL. The last one I purchased from IL the dealer didn't take any taxes at purchase. I paid those when I registered the car in VA. It is really not a big deal to buy an out of state car, and GA will still collect all the taxes. Seems like the car dealers are fighting an uphill battle as long as we have free trade between states! :)

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I don't live in GA, but I would be surprised if you have to pay taxes twice. I live in VA, and have purchased three cars from out of state: two from FL, one from IL. The last one I purchased from IL the dealer didn't take any taxes at purchase. I paid those when I registered the car in VA. It is really not a big deal to buy an out of state car, and GA will still collect all the taxes. Seems like the car dealers are fighting an uphill battle as long as we have free trade between states! :)
In both UT and WY, they charge your the difference between what you paid in another state and what it would have cost in that state.
Sponsored