Sponsored

Does anyone know what amp rating the onboard charger is on the R1S?

Drogon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S adventure order
Does anyone know what rating the onboard charger is on the R1S? Im trying to figure out what the max amp rating is. For example, the charger on board the mustang mach e can draw up to 48amps.

Im just trying to see what version of things (j1772 extension cord, tesla tap) I should be considering.

Thanks all!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Drogon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S adventure order
thank you

OP
OP

Drogon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S adventure order
This is a noob question so please bear with me. Im just trying to simply conceptualize the difference between AC charging and DCFC with respect to amps. My understanding (and this could be wrong) is that the 48A charge draw limitation only applies when AC (L1/L2) charging. Is this correct?

My second question has to do with DCFC - doesnt the car have to handle more than 48 amps in order to effectively DCFC at high speeds (im thinking 150kw+)? How does this work?

Thanks!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This is a noob question so please bear with me. Im just trying to simply conceptualize the difference between AC charging and DCFC with respect to amps. My understanding (and this could be wrong) is that the 48A charge draw limitation only applies when AC (L1/L2) charging. Is this correct?

My second question has to do with DCFC - doesnt the car have to handle more than 48 amps in order to effectively DCFC at high speeds (im thinking 150kw+)? How does this work?

Thanks!
The batteries are always charged, and always supply, DC. With a DCFC, the charger is external to the vehicle and supplies current directly to the battery (using separate pins in the CCS1 connector). With AC charging, what is typically referred to as an L1 or L2 "charger" is really just a switched AC source (EVSE). The EVSE supplies AC to the vehicle's onboard charger which then converts the AC to DC. It is the Rivian's onboard charger that is limited to 48A. If you are charging DC, then the oboard charger is bypassed and the 48A current limit does not apply. If I remember correctly, Rivian is supporting up to about 500A with DC charging (contingent on the charger being able to supply, something not all DCFC equipment supports).

Sponsored

OP
OP

Drogon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S adventure order
Thank you! That makes complete sense.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The batteries are always charged, and always supply, DC. With a DCFC, the charger is external to the vehicle and supplies current directly to the battery (using separate pins in the CCS1 connector). With AC charging, what is typically referred to as an L1 or L2 "charger" is really just a switched AC source (EVSE). The EVSE supplies AC to the vehicle's onboard charger which then converts the AC to DC. It is the Rivian's onboard charger that is limited to 48A. If you are charging DC, then the oboard charger is bypassed and the 48A current limit does not apply. If I remember correctly, Rivian is supporting up to about 500A with DC charging (contingent on the charger being able to supply, something not all DCFC equipment supports).
And thankfully this is how it works. The on board charger died on my Tesla. I’m waiting for my Tesla appointment, if not for the DCFC charging, my car would be a brick in the garage….

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The 48 A for 240 VAC L2 charging is the maximum that the charger in your vehicle can accept from the AC mains. For it to draw that much EVSE (a wall "charger") must have been installed on a 60 A circuit in your house, the EVSE must have been commissioned for a 60A feeder circuit, the truck must have been programmed for the full 48 draw and the EVSE must be satisfied that all is well with the circuit (nbo excessive voltage droop, ground continuity...).

You can ask for charging at lower rates and people do that for various reasons in which case the truck will take less than 48A.

In any case the maximum current of 48 amps corresponds, at 240 VAC, to an input power to the charger of 240*48 = 111,520 W (11..52 kW). About 90% of that power, 10.368 kW, gets converted to DC at around 400 V (the exact voltage depends on the battery SoC) meaning that the current supplied to the battery is about 25.9 A.has to be wiris the current that goes to the charger in the car which converts 90% of the power to DC at about 400 VDC meaning that the current that actually goes to the battery is approximately 26 A.

When L3 charging the input to the car is DC at about 400 V and it is supplied by chargers located external to the car in charging cabinets but there are many of these so that the total current that can be supplied is in the hundreds of amperes such that the battery can be loaded at power leels od hundreds of kW rather than 10. You cannot set a maximum current limit with DCFC but you can set the maxiumum SoC.

Arnie1

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Highlander XSE, 2022 Toyota Avalon XSE
Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Does anyone know what rating the onboard charger is on the R1S? Im trying to figure out what the max amp rating is. For example, the charger on board the mustang mach e can draw up to 48amps.

Im just trying to see what version of things (j1772 extension cord, tesla tap) I should be considering.

Thanks all!
the OBC is rated 11.5KW