Sponsored

Does anyone actually like the wood in the Black Mountain interior?

what wood shade would you prefer with the Black Mountain interior?

• Black mountain interior with black mountain wood shade – it's so bad it's good

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Some of us are going with the Black Mountain interior, either for practical reasons (after one camping trip with our kids, our seats will be black anyway), or aesthetic reasons (generally looks sharp). However, based on discussion in various threads, it seems that no one likes the shade of the wood trim in the Black Mountain interior, even if that interior palette is their first choice for whatever reason. So I'm wondering -- does anyone actually like the wood trim in the Black Mountain interior?

I for one would really like the wood trim from Ocean Coast in conjunction with the Black Mountain interior.

Maybe, even if Rivian doesn't let us mix-n-match fabric and wood colors, they will at least change out the color for the Black Mountain interior, especially if we provide them with some quantitative customer feedback.

So, for those of you who are ordering the Black Mountain interior: imagine you could pick whichever wood trim is currently available. Which would you choose?

The character fields for the poll choices are short, so here's the extended version of my questions:

1. Black mountain interior with ocean coast wood shade (the lightest wood shade)
  2. Black mountain interior with Forest Edge wood shade (medium wood shade)
  3. Black mountain interior with black mountain wood shade – I thought I wanted dark wheels, but at $3500 for the wheels?! I’ll get my mysterious shading with the wood trim, thank you.
  4. Black mountain interior with black mountain wood shade – sometimes the awful appearance gives off a ridiculous, campy “Addam’s Family vibe”, kinda like it’s so bad it’s good; sometimes the awful appearance reminds me of Hannibal Lector’s basement paneling and really freaks me out. Because I can’t decide between the two, it gives me something to think about on long rides, which is of some use anyway.
  5. Black mountain interior with black mountain wood shade - I like it.
  6. No wood trim (new choice)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

I want no wood, but that is not an option. So, next best thing is black wood.
I saw pictures of the light wood and it did not look right to me with the way the grain was going in parts of it.

Silver9k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19' CX-5 D, 16' Mazda3, 07 S2000
Definitely agree. Love the look of Ocean Coast, but imagine keeping it clean, especially with kids, would be a chore. Forest doesn't work with my exterior choice, so black it is, but wish the wood was not black.

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
I thought the black trim looked pretty good in person. I don't think photos do it justice.

Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I want the option for a wrap like Ricky Bobby’s car.
Rivian R1T R1S Does anyone actually like the wood in the Black Mountain interior? D89D48AC-CB4A-4C35-8889-D17FE9B85CED

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Ocean with the black wood looks the best to me, wish we could customize the wood trim

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Some of us are going with the Black Mountain interior, either for practical reasons (after one camping trip with our kids, our seats will be black anyway), or aesthetic reasons (generally looks sharp). However, based on discussion in various threads, it seems that no one likes the shade of the wood trim in the Black Mountain interior, even if that interior palette is their first choice for whatever reason. So I'm wondering -- does anyone actually like the wood trim in the Black Mountain interior?

I for one would really like the wood trim from Ocean Coast in conjunction with the Black Mountain interior.

Maybe, even if Rivian doesn't let us mix-n-match fabric and wood colors, they will at least change out the color for the Black Mountain interior, especially if we provide them with some quantitative customer feedback.

So, for those of you who are ordering the Black Mountain interior: imagine you could pick whichever wood trim is currently available. Which would you choose?

The character fields for the poll choices are short, so here's the extended version of my questions:

1. Black mountain interior with ocean coast wood shade (the lightest wood shade)
  2. Black mountain interior with Forest Edge wood shade (medium wood shade)
  3. Black mountain interior with black mountain wood shade – I thought I wanted dark wheels, but at $3500 for the wheels?! I’ll get my mysterious shading with the wood trim, thank you.
  4. Black mountain interior with black mountain wood shade – sometimes the awful appearance gives off a ridiculous, campy “Addam’s Family vibe”, kinda like it’s so bad it’s good; sometimes the awful appearance reminds me of Hannibal Lector’s basement paneling and really freaks me out. Because I can’t decide between the two, it gives me something to think about on long rides, which is of some use anyway.
  5. Black mountain interior with black mountain wood shade - I like it.
photontorque, Given your question, may I suggest option #6: “No”. While the black option does limit reflected light of off the interior of the windshield, hiding the beauty of the tree that was sacrificed for these trim pieces reminds me of a joke. “Have you heard the one about the idiot who won an Olympic Gold Medal? He was so proud of it that he had it bronzed.” For better or worse, I’m here all week folks...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I thought the black trim looked pretty good in person. I don't think photos do it justice.
that black with med. brown (forest) wood looks so damn good! ?
Based solely on photographs, I’d say that the brown wood makes the most sense with the black interior. However, I’ve heard several people say that they look different, in person, so that is one more reason why I MUST see/touch/lick them IRL before I send Rivian many tens of thousands of dollars.

I also agree that a simple solution would be to decouple the main interior color from the wood selection.

OP
OP

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
@MisterTea - yes! of course! I was thinking of your fantastic renders when I was crafting this poll, then just forgot to add the link. Thanks for including that.

@DuckTruck - I clearly was not opening my imaginary world large enough when considering this what-if scenario. Actually, I'd prefer no wood trim at all, but I am lured by the Launch Edition, so I was thinking only of permuting within LE options. But yes, given the option, I would rather not have wood trim at all. I've added that to the poll.

@drhnbtx - good to know that the configurator doesn't do the wood trim justice. That seems to be a common theme.

And thanks to all for voting, and continuing to vote. Hope this provides useful feedback to Rivian.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I agree that it looks better in person, but I would definitely still prefer the contrast of the medium wood. That combo even looks great digitally!

OP
OP

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Voting has been static on this (likely because of all the other very interesting stuff to discuss since mid March).

Looking at the results, the medium wood shade is a clear winner.

I'm a little surprised at how close it is between the other two choices, the Ocean Coast trim and the existing shade that goes with Black Mountain. Ocean Coast is in second place, but just barely. I guess that's the value of a poll.

If current discussions in other threads regarding the fear of delayed deliveries become manifest, perhaps that gives Rivian an opportunity to rethink their default wood trim for Black Mountain!
Sponsored