Sponsored

Do you think that Rivian vehicles could get the same hate that Tesla owners sometimes deal with?

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
IMHO, it is more of a question of how the world transitions from ICE to EV and how quickly people are educated on the electrification of the auto industry.

This fourth industrial revolution the world is currently in will affect many sub-industries, from gas stations, SMOG stations, repair shops, car parts stores, etc. let alone the ICE manufacturing employees which has already impacted Europe as it takes less people to build an EV.

It will all depend on how quickly the world switches to EV that could cause pain, jealousy, etc for individuals who may not be able to afford the EV or adjust their job situation for their livelihood. If the conversion is gradual, I think we will be okay.

In the next two to three years there will be more EV choices and hopefully will attract a wider spectrum or mainstream number of buyers.

Education, education, education, will be key too. If the security or sentry (Tesla) modes and surveillance are built into all EV cars, I would suspect if that feature is well known, you will not see the vandalism as much.

I do understand there will be outliers that will create negativity, we see that with ICE vehicles who take two parking spots can get keyed as well as premium parking slots for EV charging stations.

Should be interesting to see what happens. Interesting responses and opinions thus far on this thread.

Also, if vandalism does occur with your Rivian, that is why we all have comprehensive insurance ;)
Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Wait... I hadn't considered this. Am I, are WE, unlikeable as EV owners? I thought this was unique to Tesla and specific to the cars not extended to the owners as well. I have never understood this phenomenon "coal rolling", vandalism, etc... My own perception is that ICE cars are archaic relics and only a marginal step up from the steam locomotive, that BEV are mechanically superior by leaps and bounds and I don't even consider them any more environmentally friendly.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Wait... I hadn't considered this. Am I, are WE, unlikeable as EV owners? I thought this was unique to Tesla and specific to the cars not extended to the owners as well. I have never understood this phenomenon "coal rolling", vandalism, etc... My own perception is that ICE cars are archaic relics and only a marginal step up from the steam locomotive, that BEV are mechanically superior by leaps and bounds and I don't even consider them any more environmentally friendly.
It is not unique to Teslas. In fact, the earlier videos and incidents of coal rolling and antagonizing other vehicles involved doing so to the Prius. Teslas are just the more ubiquitous targets now.

In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford Mustang Mach-E and Rivian R1T become bigger “insults” and threats to that population. I hope not, but I could see an electric Mustang and pickup being more offensive to others ... just don’t ask me to explain “why”.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
just don’t ask me to explain “why”.
I think it's because so many people are insecure, afraid of change, and don't know how to cope with things, emotionally -- hence, they lash out at what makes them uncomfortable.

Rivian R1T R1S Do you think that Rivian vehicles could get the same hate that Tesla owners sometimes deal with? 1YGIkn

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
There will be memes.

People will make fun of the Rivian owners who bought a $70k EV truck for environmental reasons, driving with max ground clearance around town to get to the Whole Foods.

Sponsored

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
There will be memes.

People will make fun of the Rivian owners who bought a $70k EV truck for environmental reasons, driving with max ground clearance around town to get to the Whole Foods.
The joke will be on them because I won’t be able to afford Whole Foods after I get the Rivian ... so Ha!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
There will be memes.

I'm buying for performance & capability. I'll be consuming mass amounts of electrons & giggling all the way.

My new tagline:
800 hp Rivian + Groceries = Adventure

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
There will always be haters. Some people are just insecure and incapable of being happy about anything. Sucks to be them.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There will be memes.

Better than rolling coal in a 2500 diesel and never towing anything.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm buying for performance & capability. I'll be consuming mass amounts of electrons & giggling all the way.

My new tagline:
Skyote, I love your tag line as well as the extended version shown below your entries. I've never seriously considered a Tesla, even though I think they're a wonderful evolutionary step, as is Elon. I just love what RJ and Rivian are all about and that it inspires me, in large part because of what the R1T will allow me to do and where it will allow me to go.

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

My new tagline:
Haha. Is that a reference to the Jeff Hammoud podcast?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Haha. Is that a reference to the Jeff Hammoud podcast?
Lol, not intentionally. I did listen to that though, so maybe subconsciously!

I was just thinking about "grocery getter" jokes & the fact that I'm going to have a really tough time not driving it fast. I've wanted a performance car for years, but it was never "practical" until the Rivian.

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Suburban, 1968 Chevelle, Cayenne S, R1T, R1S
Occupation
Physician
If we come across as smug as some of those Tesla fanboys I think we will be persecuted similarly. I'm not looking at this purchase as an environmentally friendly move, more as a performance based one. From what I've been reading it seems as if battery production is a pretty dirty business and our electricity will likely not be coming from a renewable source for quite some time. The off road chops of the Rivian (and RJ's Florida roots) may shield us from some of the abuse too.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
If we come across as smug as some of those Tesla fanboys I think we will be persecuted similarly. I'm not looking at this purchase as an environmentally friendly move, more as a performance based one. From what I've been reading it seems as if battery production is a pretty dirty business and our electricity will likely not be coming from a renewable source for quite some time. The off road chops of the Rivian (and RJ's Florida roots) may shield us from some of the abuse too.
Totally agree. I bought Tesla for the tech and performance. Save the world was secondary and I always cringed at how overhyped that part was. “Zero emissions” is BS when you look at how most of that electricity is generated and what goes into battery production and disposal. But I do believe it’s less than ICE and we are moving in a positive direction. I have a quote on my wall that says “the point when you are most at danger is when you start to believe your own rhetoric”. So true. I do believe, but not to the extent the marketers would like me too.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Totally agree. I bought Tesla for the tech and performance. Save the world was secondary and I always cringed at how overhyped that part was. “Zero emissions” is BS when you look at how most of that electricity is generated and what goes into battery production and disposal. But I do believe it’s less than ICE and we are moving in a positive direction. I have a quote on my wall that says “the point when you are most at danger is when you start to believe your own rhetoric”. So true. I do believe, but not to the extent the marketers would like me too.
The "save the world" part about BEVs that I do believe in is that, unlike ICE vehicles, they can get cleaner even after you buy them. With an ICE vehicle, it will never be cleaner than the day you bring it home. As components wear, it'll actually let more greenhouse gases into the environment. But with a BEV, even if you get your power from coal, today, you can clean up your power source, tomorrow. Whether that's subscribing to your power company's "green" tier where you pay a little more per kW/h to have your usage offset by 100% renewable energy, or maybe you decide to install solar on your home, or maybe the power company brings a new "green" generation station online and/or decommissions a coal plant.... The point is that the BEV vehicle remains useful while we work to clean up upstream power generation.
Sponsored