Sponsored

Do you think that Rivian vehicles could get the same hate that Tesla owners sometimes deal with?

huskylord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subie
Just wondering if you would think that owning a Rivian, you might be at risk to find you door keyed, or deal with road jerks who just hate electric vehicles on the same road with them. I'd say that Rivian is still not a household name and most people would not recognize them, but when they do start hitting the road and increasing in number, their style and look do set them apart and make it a bit more obvious its an electric truck. Any thought that by owning one, you'll probably encounter a jerk just for owning this car (which I would love to have btw).
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Just wondering if you would think that owning a Rivian, you might be at risk to find you door keyed, or deal with road jerks who just hate electric vehicles on the same road with them. I'd say that Rivian is still not a household name and most people would not recognize them, but when they do start hitting the road and increasing in number, their style and look do set them apart and make it a bit more obvious its an electric truck. Any thought that by owning one, you'll probably encounter a jerk just for owning this car (which I would love to have btw).
Not sure. I guess it depends if Rivian start attracting a toxic fanbase too.

UP Finn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 HMMWV, 2018 4Runner ORP, 2020 Model Y Perf
I've been driving my Model Y for over 2 months in Michigan and haven't had a single issue. I have had several people ask about what it's like to own an EV. Which is a fun conversation because it's my 1st one.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Very possible. However, I bet that most people will just wonder what they are. I think a lot of the Tesla hate has faded, and believe there will probably be less hate against Rivian because they're somewhat traditional-looking truck/SUVs.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I actually don't think Tesla's got keyed, etc. because they are electric. I think it is because they were perceived as luxury cars. It's pretty plain that the left and the press (sort of a tautology there) are trying to build class conflict and they are doing a pretty good job of it. If the Rivian vehicles are perceived as luxury vehicles (and I think they will be) I would be a bit circumspect about where I'd park it unattended.

I'll just mention that we are afraid of trouble with our Tesla here in Quebec not because it is electric but because it has Virginia plates on it. We Americans are the bringers of COVID in the minds of the mindless and there have been incidents directed against cars based on this.

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I think it will be a novelty for quite a while.

My guess is in certain places where there are ALOT of Teslas they likely were enjoying the speed a little too much and built up a hate for rude driving, additionally I know ICE owners didnt like Electric vehicle only spots and that built up some animosity.

If you are going to damage a vehicle out of spite you are pretty much a piece of garbage. My guess is there are a few who see Teslas and electric vehicles as a leftist plot.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
I actually don't think Tesla's got keyed, etc. because they are electric. I think it is because they were perceived as luxury cars. It's pretty plain that the left and the press (sort of a tautology there) are trying to build class conflict and they are doing a pretty good job of it. If the Rivian vehicles are perceived as luxury vehicles (and I think they will be) I would be a bit circumspect about where I'd park it unattended.
Politics, really? It's not even a good analysis. If it was simply a luxury/class issue then we should see the same hate towards other luxury brands, right? I don't get the sense that other luxury brands are targeted in the same way that Teslas sometimes are, but I obviously don't have any data on this.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Well if you were of mind to go out and commit some mindless vandalism would you go out and scratch up some beat up old toyota sedan or would you look for Rolls, Lamorghini, Porsche....Tesla, Rivian. I'm a pretty old guy but can still remember a bit how I thought in my feckless youth.

The other side of the coin is that if a Lexus gets vandalized or catches fire that's not news. If a Tesla gets vandalized or catches fire that is news. Thus while I don't have statistics I am pretty sure that these other fancy cars get vandalized just as frequently.

As for the political aspect of it: a highly polarized society leads to more of this sort of thing than one that is not. As liberals, the press, and sometimes even the Hunt brothers profit from them there are lots of forces out there working to increase the polarization. That's the political situation today..

Last edited:

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
My suspicion is probably not. The irony here is most peoples' Tesla's get keyed because the vandals think they're all $100k + cars and owned by rich people. The Rivian's will be close to twice what I paid for my Model 3, but will be more "relateable" and hopefully be immune from the hate. That, and RJ is way more likable than Elon. ;-)

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
I would think that where you live makes the biggest difference . I live in Washington State and I imagine I will get lots of thumbs up and positive vibes. If I lived in some parts of the Deep South I might be careful where I leave it parked

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I would think that where you live makes the biggest difference . I live in Washington State and I imagine I will get lots of thumbs up and positive vibes. If I lived in some parts of the Deep South I might be careful where I leave it parked
I believe as stated above it’s a class thing more than a different state thing.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
As for the political aspect of it: a highly polarized society leads to more of this sort of thing than one that is not. As liberals, the press, and sometimes even the Hunt brothers profit from them there are lots of forces out there working to increase the polarization. That's the political situation today..
This is probably the heart of my disagreement. I think to ascribe the social ill of increased polarization to one side of the political spectrum is a bit naive/tribal, and possibly misses the bigger picture of the role that how we get our "news" today plays.

Basically, I think polarization is being driven by social media and it's algorithms, bad actors, and the internet more generally, which allows any idea to get a platform regardless of vetting. It's probably way more complicated than a left/right issue.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Well of course it is but broadly speaking the best interest of the "haves" lies in maintaining the status quo whereas it is in the best interest of the "have nots" to change it.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
Personally I don't think there is much "extra" hate on tesla or EV owners. I think the reason that we all believe that is because Tesla's record video. I bet if every car recorded video we'd see just as much to other brands.

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
Tesla's reputation for getting hate probably has multiple sources. I would hazard a guess it is a combination of:
- Tesla damage is more likely to get reported/amplified by forums and video recordings.
- Initial backlash may have/did occur (but I'd hazard a guess has died down to normal "luxury car" levels).
- Tesla seems to have attracted a certain type of owner that makes themselves... unlikeable, for lack of a better (polite) term.
Sponsored

Last edited: