Sponsored

Do you think Rivian should only have one battery pack? (Large Pack)

Do you think Rivian should only have one battery pack option for the R1T/S?

• Total voters

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

In the near-term, definitely. As infrastructure improves, more people convert to EV, and range anxiety becomes less of a thing, I would think the size/weight of extended range packs would become superfluous. Maybe tow rigs would need the extra capacity, but the everyday user could potentially be a-ok with 200-250 miles of range.
The unavoidable issue for buying a vehicle to cover 100% of your use cases, it's going to have some capability you don't need 99% of the time. For a lot of people, that's going to be battery capacity.

My everyday EV doesn't need more than 200 miles to cover 99% of my every day use cases, but there are things I'd like to do, and would be doing, that I am not doing because I couldn't do it with my current EV. I am buying a Rivian to cover those additional use cases that I'm still not totally sure are going to be covered with the large pack vs max pack. If I was never more than 5 miles from a 350kW DCFC it would probably be a different story, but I think expecting that in the next 5 years is optimistic.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Smaller battery pack makes it very annoying for where I live. With winter/all terrain tires and winter temperatures, and middle of nowhere distances, having a 25% smaller battery means more stopping, in places where there is not charging infrastructure.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Fight the power! ... Down With the Establishment!! ... PANTSLESS NATION!!!

?

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Never had interest besides large, but voted no.
While Large is good for me, they should be researching, testing, and offering customers more choices. Research into increased battery weight and technology is their entire business model in the 2020-2030 timeframe

Sponsored

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Quick shout out to all the "maybe"s really taking a stand!
Hey! Sometimes the best view is sitting atop the fence! (I voted yes lol)

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
For an electric car, one range that balances range and price is probably fine. For an electric truck/suv, where some people will use it as a car while some will want to tow or go places fairly remote on a semi-regular basis, there should be options to suite their needs.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
I think Tesla stopped making vehicles with different battery pack sizes (not considering software limited capacities). Are there any other manufacturers that make two different battery sizes for the same vehicle model? Maybe the F-150?

It seems that Tesla, GM, VW have all come to the conclusion to only offer one pack size per model. Maybe Rivian will eventually get there, whether they decide to ship us all max packs and software limit it, or stop offering a 400 miles of range option
Ford's Mach e comes in battery sizes.

Sponsored

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Yes I know another poll lol, but I’m genuinely curious what people think on this. Do you think that Rivian should focus on one battery pack, and cancel the other sizes in order to increase production, and R&D into increasing range and power density in the current large pack? I’m thinking along the lines of Tesla and what they do, they seem to have eliminated the majority of their battery packs for the Model S and Model X, and have been slowly increasing efficiency for that pack over the decade. I think having multiple battery packs over different cars it’s just adding complexity for little gain.

Edit for clarity: I’m asking if they should cancel the small and max pack, and only do the large pack
I don’t think they should flat out cancel those other packs as eventually it will bring in new customers; some who want it cheaper will get the smaller pack and those that want more range can get the max. However, for the next year or so, it’s probably best to keep it simple and ship out the most popular model, which is the large pack. Helps with my delivery and the stock price; both good things.

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21” wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
There is no one size fits all for range. I live on an island in the NE and 95 to 100% of my drives will be limited to below the range limit of a smaller pac. In other areas lower range would be a non starter as some others have posted. However if one range got me a truck sooner (like before the doors fall off my 2000 Tundra) I might change my vote.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Quick shout out to all the "maybe"s really taking a stand!
I voted maybe before it was clarified that the one pack should be the large pack. My caveat was that if the one pack was the max pack I would be a yes. Now that is clarified, I am a firm no, and have changed my vote to reflect.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score