Sponsored

Do you think Rivian should only have one battery pack? (Large Pack)

Do you think Rivian should only have one battery pack option for the R1T/S?

• Total voters

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Yes I know another poll lol, but I’m genuinely curious what people think on this. Do you think that Rivian should focus on one battery pack, and cancel the other sizes in order to increase production, and R&D into increasing range and power density in the current large pack? I’m thinking along the lines of Tesla and what they do, they seem to have eliminated the majority of their battery packs for the Model S and Model X, and have been slowly increasing efficiency for that pack over the decade. I think having multiple battery packs over different cars it’s just adding complexity for little gain.

Edit for clarity: I’m asking if they should cancel the small and max pack, and only do the large pack
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I don't think that they should cancel all (maybe just the small pack), but focusing on one pack will help them streamline production, supply and software.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Yes, focus on a single build while spinning up the additional work shifts. Once you have all shifts running well, then start introducing changes.

Looks like the first change to master will be the R1S.

Much easier to train a new shift on a single workflow than to have to cover the various options that will eventually be offered.

Edit:. Post title and poll question are different...

Imo they should start with one, and eventually offer the others.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I think Tesla stopped making vehicles with different battery pack sizes (not considering software limited capacities). Are there any other manufacturers that make two different battery sizes for the same vehicle model? Maybe the F-150?

It seems that Tesla, GM, VW have all come to the conclusion to only offer one pack size per model. Maybe Rivian will eventually get there, whether they decide to ship us all max packs and software limit it, or stop offering a 400 miles of range option

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I don't see any problem with their current offerings. While I don't have a need for the max pack personally, there are many other use cases for the vehicle where an extra 33% capacity would be beneficial. There's no harm in offering it to people who are willing to wait.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Lucid seem to be doing OK with their pack:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
They all use the same battery size too, correct? Like 113kW? What they’ve done with their motors is pretty amazing in the efficiency they’re getting.
Rivian R1T R1S Do you think Rivian should only have one battery pack? (Large Pack) 1642017641534

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I mean canceling the other two not just delaying.
I understand your reasoning for the proposal but given that most all other truck/SUV EV makers or wannabees seem to be offering an affordable entry battery (200-225 miles) and premium battery (300-400+ miles) options that must mean market studies support it.

I do agree that Rivian would have been better suited had they made the 400-mile battery the baseline (understanding the $10k hike it brings) and then marketed the "affordable option" in the 200-250 mile range coming down the road with perhaps something like a $15-20k savings.

It's interesting that Ford is advertising their biggest EV truck battery at 300+ miles while GM/Chevy/Hummer entering the fray with a claimed 400+ mile battery range.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
@Canthoney - You're essentially asking two questions here:
  1. Do you think they should cancel battery packs beyond the released capacity?
  2. Do you think they should delay additional packs beyond the released capacity?
The results that you'll get from this poll is going to be combination of both of these questions and answer neither.

I answered the first by voting no, they should not cancel additional packs. Others, judging by the comments opted to answer the second.

I'd suggest you clarify or remove the thread.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Depends on which one it is. If they drop everything but the Max pack, then yes. If they drop the Max pack, I'm out. I do think they could get rid of the small pack, or any reference to it.

As much as I want a truck delivery sooner rather than later, I do think they are right to focus on one (the large pack) as they are currently doing.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I mean canceling the other two not just delaying.
This made me change my vote to NO. They absolutely should continue to work on a pack for a longer range variant of both vehicles if they want to stay competitive in the market. Especially with the Silverado being announced with 400+ mile range at the top end. It would be suicidal not to.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
This made me change my vote to NO. They absolutely should continue to work on a pack for a longer range variant of both vehicles if they want to stay competitive in the market. Especially with the Silverado being announced with 400+ mile range at the top end. It would be suicidal not to.
In the near-term, definitely. As infrastructure improves, more people convert to EV, and range anxiety becomes less of a thing, I would think the size/weight of extended range packs would become superfluous. Maybe tow rigs would need the extra capacity, but the everyday user could potentially be a-ok with 200-250 miles of range.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I think what Tesla found with the Model S/X was that after they introduced the Model 3, nearly everyone who was willing to pay 2x the cost of a Model 3 for an S/X, was also willing to pay an extra 10K for the larger battery. Most of the market for a short-range S/X just disappeared once the 3 was introduced.

I am not sure if the same market forces will apply to Rivian right now. There are not really lower cost alternatives so a lot of people may be stretching their budget more than they probably should be(I feel like I am) to to afford an R1. But I think long term there is no need multiple R1 battery choices.

So I am voting for one battery choice. But I'm not saying they should drop the Max pack. I think they should drop the non-max pack.

I think there is huge potential in EV's with less range. But I am not sure there is a need for $80K+ vehicles with less than maximum range. If they could cut the cost in half with a smaller battery - then they absolutely should do it.

Last edited:

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
There are plenty of LR and SR cars in the Tesla line up, the Model 3 and Y both have short range and Long range, and they have different battery packs. I do think the Y lost it's SR model recently though, but they have the problem of being unable to make enough of them.

I don't get the hate from people who don't want a max pack, that's great, don't, but why constantly harp on those of us who do? I've driven EVs for 4 years now, I know what I want, and a 300 mile 'rated' battery pack isn't it, because you're gonna get 225-250 out of it and then 185-200 in the winter.

I have a 245 mile rated 75KW Model X. I have *never* gotten 245 miles. The longest I've gotten was about 180. In the winter? 135. This is just with people in the car (four over 18, two under 18) and as long as I have to rely on someone other than Rivian to put fast chargers in the 'right' spots I know I will want more range.

Hopefully EA gets their stuff together, but their site to site reliability when you're on a roadtrip is not even close to comfortable.
Sponsored