Sponsored

Do you really have to buy a Rivian charger in order to get...

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
If your wall unit only does 48amps then the 60amp adapter is fine. The 80 doesn’t buy you anything
The choices (for this model) are 40 or 80 Amp.

As such I'd go 80 Amp just to future proof a bit.

Of course, this adapter doesn't work with Superchargers, so I'll probably save my pennies and wait for a SC compatible one (hopefully sooner than later).
Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

The choices (for this model) are 40 or 80 Amp.

As such I'd go 80 Amp just to future proof a bit.

Of course, this adapter doesn't work with Superchargers, so I'll probably save my pennies and wait for a SC compatible one (hopefully sooner than later).
Ahh yes. I have a Tesla tap. They have a 60amp version.

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've got a Tesla Wall Charger for my Model 3 and hope there will be an adapter that I can use on my R1T.
I'm actually wondering the same thing, but in reverse - I'll need to install an outdoor charging unit regardless, so I'm considering going with the Rivian one for $500. But I don't want to paint myself into a Rivian-only corner (just like I haven't with Teslas in the garage - went with the more generic NEMA 14-50s). So I wonder, will other brand EVs be able to use that Rivian outdoor charger? Adapter?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm actually wondering the same thing, but in reverse - I'll need to install an outdoor charging unit regardless, so I'm considering going with the Rivian one for $500. But I don't want to paint myself into a Rivian-only corner (just like I haven't with Teslas in the garage - went with the more generic NEMA 14-50s). So I wonder, will other brand EVs be able to use that Rivian outdoor charger? Adapter?
The Rivian EVSE uses J1772 so pretty much any vehicle that isn’t Tesla will be able to use it, directly…. And even Tesla can use it with an adapter.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
This is pure speculation on my part but I'm guessing that if Tesla does actually open up the SC network to other users that they will do so as they have done in Europe that is with two hoses: one Tesla, one CCS. Thus if adapters are necessary I think it will be only until the two headed terminals are rolled out.

Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
This is pure speculation on my part but I'm guessing that if Tesla does actually open up the SC network to other users that they will do so as they have done in Europe that is with two hoses: one Tesla, one CCS. Thus if adapters are necessary I think it will be only until the two headed terminals are rolled out.
Looks like Tesla will go the "adapter" route (makes sense, costs less, reduces the turn around timeline, and gives them another product they could sell).

Tesla Tells Us How Opening Up Superchargers To All Brands Will Work | CleanTechnica

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
They might at first but as the post said I doubt they'll stick with that approach given that the two headed technology exists and is working in Europe. But the real message is don't rush to drop $500 on the adapter as if they do use them to kick things off they will probably be supplied at the stations either chained to the terminal or withdrawn from a locker (which requires a $500 deposit to open)....

Blg3404

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Radiology Tech (For now)
Has anyone seen if they have any adapters planned for other plugs? Like a Nema 14-30? It would be great to have options other than the 14-50.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I'm not aware of any other adapters announced but it almost seems certain that they will make a few available eventually. Tesla sells a kit with 7 or 8. Got the set, put it in the frunk and it's never been out but it's nice to know it's there.
Sponsored