Sponsored

Do you really have to buy a Rivian charger in order to get...

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I read a post on the forum where a customer had a test drive in Normal. As part of the review they mentioned that in order to get the 25+ mph charge you had to invest in the Rivian home charger. I've had my Level II charger for years. Its charged my BMW's and my Tesla w/o a governor. ?Can anyone confirm if this is truly the case? I won't go bankrupt having to buy the Rivian charger but I think its BS that they made a choice to throttle down owners of other chargers. What do you guy think??

(LOL, please don't forget to react to this, so I can get my react score to 1000 and have lunch with RJ)
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I read a post on the forum where a customer had a test drive in Normal. As part of the review they mentioned that in order to get the 25+ mph charge you had to invest in the Rivian home charger. I've had my Level II charger for years. Its charged my BMW's and my Tesla w/o a governor. ?Can anyone confirm if this is truly the case? I won't go bankrupt having to buy the Rivian charger but I think its BS that they made a choice to throttle down owners of other chargers. What do you guy think??

(LOL, please don't forget to react to this, so I can get my react score to 1000 and have lunch with RJ)
No, you don't specifically need the Rivian wall charger. You need a 240V, 48amp (11.5kW) EVSE of some sort.

I'm certain the "need the Rivian Wall Charger" was relative to using the Rivian Portable Charger that comes with the truck. The portable charger will only support up to 7.68 kW charging, or 16 mi/hour of added range.

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Storage
No, you don't specifically need the Rivian wall charger. You need a 240V, 48amp (11.5kW) EVSE of some sort.

I'm certain the "need the Rivian Wall Charger" was relative to using the Rivian Portable Charger that comes with the truck. The portable charger will only support up to 7.68 kW charging, or 16 mi/hour of added range.
Thank you for the prompt reply, I don't think I've ever used my portable charger included in the car. At least wherever I need to go, I"m able to find a supercharger or just wait until i get home. take care

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Oh please don't start that if I start hearing people say " please like and subscribe" "hehe go ahead and smash that like button"
I will be done.....

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
In addition to the "you need a wall charger for full speed instead of using the portable charger" angle...

The first wave of wall chargers 10 years ago (original Leaf days, and California compliance car days) generally only went 32A.

Then you started to see 40A.

Then finally 48A became widely available (if not quite the most common)

In other words... the existing wall charger you might already have access to might not support 48A charging. So consider an upgrade.

Sponsored

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Storage
In addition to the "you need a wall charger for full speed instead of using the portable charger" angle...

The first wave of wall chargers 10 years ago (original Leaf days, and California compliance car days) generally only went 32A.

Then you started to see 40A.

Then finally 48A became widely available (if not quite the most common)

In other words... the existing wall charger you might already have access to might not support 48A charging. So consider an upgrade.
My wall charger is at 40A. That's really just fine for me.

IReactTo_888Tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Reaction giver

This is a great question. Looks like others have already answered it, but will we really no for sure until Rivian starts delivering the home chargers? My mama always said "Rivian's plans are like a box of chocolates. You never know what your gonna get."

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
For a 48amp charger, does that mean I will need a 75 amp breaker?

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
No. It will charge at 48A from any J1772 EVSE that will allow 48A.

SantaFeSpence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3LR
Occupation
Fun & Games
No. It will charge at 48A from any J1772 EVSE that will allow 48A.
I've got a Tesla Wall Charger for my Model 3 and hope there will be an adapter that I can use on my R1T.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Ooooo... tasty, they offer an 80 Amp version.
If your wall unit only does 48amps then the 60amp adapter is fine. The 80 doesn’t buy you anything
Sponsored