Sponsored

Do you plug in every night regardless of SOC?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

We are in northern Colorado. I generally have the limit set to 70% and wait until we are under 50% to plug in (Garage L2). I do this primarily to skip the extra steps of plugging/unplugging as much as possible. I have considered switching to the ABC method though on the basis that if we suddenly learn that a longer trip is imminent, we have less charging to go until the battery reaches 100%.
Does anyone know if Rivian has an official stance on this question.
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Seattle prices...yuck. We got a backup generator, subpanel, and ChargePoint Home Flex installed in Kitsap for $7500 last fall. Then we had our Mason county cabin's panel upgraded from old stab-lock breakers and a Rivian EVSE installed for $4200 this fall.
Seattle prices are a small part of it, but the bigger issue is a service upgrade, the charge location and my panel being on opposite sides of the house, and no crawlspace. Basically the best route is to run 75ft of conduit, replace the panel, and upgrade service (which means running new cabling to the utility pole across an arterial).

Animalhouse

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 hummer H3T (manual), 2018 dodge ram
Occupation
Contractor
I had a machE (first edition and tradedcj when the R1T was ready) and kept it in the 20-80% zone. So I wasn’t having to charge each night. My daughter had a 2022 bolt EUV and we do the same for it. The couple cold spells he had the both took a hit and hanged from once a week to just atvtwice a week.
With the Rivian it’s weather this bitter cold 3 degree (winter storm Elliot dec 2022) rather well. The bolt it’s taken a drain and needed a charge bout every other day once it was down to 50ish miles).

Will be first winter with a EV’s here in Huntsville AL so there will be some learning on what works best with the EV and what doesn’t.

Currently (pun not intended but it works lol). I have a Ford brand EV charger put thinking bout switching over to Rivian charger.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Well, I stand corrected. The ChargePoint Home Flex does trickle charge. I guess I never notice the trickle because it happens so late at night and when I check on it, it's always below 70%.

Rivian R1T R1S Do you plug in every night regardless of SOC? Screenshot_20221224-110325

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I charge my EV6(Level 2) and R1T(Level 1) to 70% each time I pull into the garage. I used to only charge when down to 20-40% charge but on a few occasions something unexpected came up and there was not enough charge and a few times where I forgot to charge.

I can swap position in garage to charge the R1T with Level 2 if needed.

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Remember your ABCs of EVs - Always Be Charging.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
It doesn't let me set a 50% charge limit so I don't always leave it charging. I do a lot of local trips where I don't need a ton of charge and battery aging is typically lower at lower charge, albeit with diminishing returns.

70% won't do too much bad to the thing, but it's still above how I want to store it most of the time if I had the option. It's also just more convenient to not plug it in every time and it has enough range that I really only need to load it up periodically (and I can see if it's draining unnecessarily if it's unplugged, something I had to have Riv fix recently, that can hide if it's plugged in.)

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

70% won't do too much bad to the thing, but it's still above how I want to store it most of the time if I had the option.
Do we know if 70% is out of 125 or 135 kWh? If it's out of the accessable 125kWh, it's really only about 65% of the real 135kWh.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Do we know if 70% is out of 125 or 135 kWh? If it's out of the accessable 125kWh, it's really only about 65% of the real 135kWh.
It's 70% of the usable, which seems like it may be 141kwh instead of 135kwh. Either way, I'd be surprised if there's anything other than a very minor statistical difference between charging to 50% or 70% each day, if even that.

Fencer

First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
govt
Every night to 100%. I live in the middle of nowhere and drive every day. For work and pleasure. Wish I had a Max Pack.

Sponsored

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I like to keep charge at 70% on a daily basis. If I've been driving around town and charge is below 70, I'll plug in to bring it back up. If the R1 is just going to sit for the week I will usually unplug it the next day after it reaches 70 and not plug in unless drain gets too bad and/or I know I'll be out driving the next day.
If I know I will have a busy weekend driving around or weather is bad (cold, windy, etc) I will set charge to 85% and plug in. Then I don't have to worry about range for the day/weekend and if the bad weather knocks power out I either have a vehicle that is 'full' that I can use or I have somewhere I can plug in.
If I have a road trip coming up (150+ miles) I will charge up to 85-100% the night before. I don't like to charge up to 100% much because I'm afraid it might shorten the life of the battery.
I don't like to get below 20%, especially since I've been caught a time or two arriving at charging stations out of order - but that's a whole different topic.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
Remember your ABCs of EVs - Always Be Charging.
Yep.

That was the biggest change to my "fueling" habits coming from ICE. You don't drive till you're empty, you keep it at a reasonable charge all the time, like 80-85%. I drive over to Total Wine to check out the new seasonal beer? I come home, plug it in, recover that 60 miles. I pick up the daughter, it's close, maybe 15-16 miles round trip, but same drill.

It's a habit now, so I'm pretty much never caught without a good solid 200+ miles of range. And if we're going a little road trip, it's ready at 100% under 2 hours.

FWIW, the above is with a Tesla, but I'll do the same with the Rivian.
Sponsored