Sponsored

Do you plug in every night regardless of SOC?

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
Subject says it all.
Sponsored

krikiter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 CTS-V Wagon 6MT, 22 R1T, 22 R1S
Yes, but mostly out of habit. In cold weather, my Mach-E was very insistent about being plugged in whenever possible. I’m assuming it has to do with keeping the batteries warm and happy.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
yes, there is too much cold weather loss once I leave my garage.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Nope. Try to play the 20-80 SOC targets.

Should it otherwise be plugged in with set max limit at say 85% for battery temps and whatnot? Seems like a high voltage trickle charge, no?

Would really like to know. Please and thanks.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Yes, a plugged in EV is a happy EV. I only have 120v at home and not enough on the circuit for both EVs, so my wife and I trade the cord between our Model Y and R1T.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jbronkoR1T

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
Nope. Try to play the 20-80 SOC targets.

Should it otherwise be plugged in with set max limit at say 85% for battery temps and whatnot? Seems like a high voltage trickle charge, no?

Would really like to know. Please and thanks.
But doesn’t it just turn off when it gets to 85%? I don’t think it kicks back in if 6 hours later you lose a couple % ?

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yes, a plugged in EV is a happy EV. I only have 120v at home and not enough on the circuit for both EVs, so my wife and I trade the cord between our Model Y and R1T.
just curious - with only 120v, do you regularly charge at work or EA/Tesla stations while you're out and just use the trickler at home?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I keep mine plugged in even though my garage is heated and I usually don't need to.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Yes, we connect the Rivian Wall Charger (Level 2, 60A circuit) every night, with charging capped at 70% SOC. At the end of a typical day, it's down to 25-35% SOC, so with our nightly charging the battery stays in the SOC "goldilocks zone" nearly every day.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jbronkoR1T

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
ABC
Always Be Charging.
But was what I said true, that it gets to 85 or whatever you set, stops and then doesn’t restart to combat vampire?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think I’m odd man out here. No Rivian yet but only plug the Tesla in when charging. Sometimes goes 3 or 4 days without being plugged in.

I will say I set charge limit to 50% and left it plugged in when I took a 10 day trip this summer and temps were supposed to be in the mid to to high 110s. The charger never kicked on while I was gone, started at 75% and was still over 65% when I returned.

Just my experience, had the car 6.5 years and has worked well for me.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's more important to plug in when it's exceptionally cold, other wise the battery gets cold soaked and you have no Regen and extremely limited power. I had more limitation in Regen and power after leaving work today versus the morning. Temp was about the same but the pack was 68% vs 85 this morning.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

But was what I said true, that it gets to 85 or whatever you set, stops and then doesn’t restart to combat vampire?
I plug in daily now as a force of habit having forgotten once on my "every Nth day" schedule, resulting in an unnecessary cold and wet motorcycle ride. With the ability to change levels and edit SoC goal remotely, it's easier to change plans or activate to precondition.

I only go to 70% but my experience is (on both ChargePoint Home Flex and Rivian branded EVSE) after it hits that SoC goal, it shuts off without restarting. That's both with scheduled home charging and away from home / no schedule. However with the travel charger plugged in to a dryer plug and camper plug, I found it trickling after hitting SoC.
Sponsored