Do I Have a Real R1T? Rattles, cracks, creaks and vibrations

CheezyNachos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure: LA Silver/Dark Mountain
Clubs

To be clear, I loooove the vehicle.
Why do people do this? Coming from the Tesla realm this exact statement has become a meme/joke. In stereotypical faction, their owners seem to give a laundry list of issues they experience, but yet always feel the need to exclaim that they love their vehicle.

You don't need to love it. With so many issues you shouldn't love it. It's okay of you don't. If I had the same experience I certainly wouldn't love it.

Whatever the case, I hope this is the last of your issues.
Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Why do people do this? Coming from the Tesla realm this exact statement has become a meme/joke. In stereotypical faction, their owners seem to give a laundry list of issues they experience, but yet always feel the need to exclaim that they love their vehicle.

You don't need to love it. With so many issues you shouldn't love it. It's okay of you don't. If I had the same experience I certainly wouldn't love it.

Yah that sounds like a horrible ownership experience. I’m hoping for better.

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager

I mentioned that (and I imagine others do) because it's true -- it's a testament to the vehicle's many other compelling benefits, features and high-quality aspects that I still love the vehicle, despite the plethora of service issues mine has had. It's relevant for this topic of rattles to put things in perspective that, although it's inconvenient and annoying, it still isn't enough to make me want anything else.

My main concern, if I was Rivian, is the cost of supporting these post-delivery defects as they scale, like I mentioned.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF

lol - you can love something and still feel like there are things wrong with it or that things need to be corrected. I would love a million dollars, but I would be happier with 2 million.

There's a difference in blindingly defending something and saying you like it but feel like some things need to be addressed, or should be better out of the gate, etc, but still loving or enjoying what is there.

Joninrye

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Definitely file a service ticket.

Mine has accumulated more and more noises over the 4-5 months of ownership.
  • Upon delivery, I noticed the bird chirp noises from the suspension, which I've heard and read are among the most common and normal/expected
  • I increasingly heard more mechanical cracking, creaking, etc. driving through city speed bumps and uneven roads
  • After 2-3 months I'd start hearing the overall frame slightly creak when going over a larger hump such that the R1T was partially slanted, almost sounding like it was being stretched
  • Then the clunk clunk / tock tock noise started when accelerating and decelerating at low speeds. This is when I was fed up and filed a service ticket.
  • The truck was brought into the SC and they tried lubricating the half shaft. I picked up the R1T and there was literally no difference whatsoever in the sounds.
  • I brought the truck back into the SC the next week and this time lo and behold they discovered some broader issue with the front drive unit that necessitated it being completely replaced (see the service recap notes from Rivian technicians below). I'm picking up the truck later today and will update this post if this fixes it.
1675269990975.jpeg

• In the meantime, they gave me an R1T loaner. It's a much more recent build in the past month or two. And yet it too has the early signs of these extra noises; it feels very much like how mine did in the first month or so.
Unfortunately, at this point I've personally concluded that the R1 platform is a loud, creaking, battering, mechanical-sounding and deteriorating platform overall. I'm hopeful the R2 platform will significantly improve on this!

-----
Update:
After getting the front drive unit replaced, the clock clock has completely gone away, which is awesome

While there, they did say that Rivian Engineering is working on a more permanent solution. I was left with the impression that this could very well happen again...

There is still a really disturbing wheezing noise in the acceleration/deceleration. It's honestly pretty concerning, and I am going to bring it back to the SC again.
Is this similar to the clok/clok sound you were hearing? Mine is getting worse and driving me crazy.

Sponsored

booslim45

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Mine was having the feeling of breaking apart every time I hit a speed bump issue. Brooklyn Service Center pretty much treated me like a 10-year-old kid who didn't know what he was talking about. I drove there three times and two hours each way and they still told me it's "within spec." The car had even been with them for over 10 days and three service appointments. The loaner R1T didn't have the issue but they still insisted there was nothing they could do. The SC really made us lose faith in Rivian so much that we decided to just sell the R1T and buy a Land Rover Defender. Be careful because some service centers may make you feel like you don't know what you're talking about.

_R1S_

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I don't think 22" wheels are helping your cause either. That's a lot of additional weight, and less sidewall, which means the tire has to have an even stiffer sidewall. The suspension has to work harder to manage the additional unsprung weight of the wheel, and to absorb road imperfections that the smaller stiffer sidewall cannot.

booslim45

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My drivers front sounds like a bad sway bar bushing too. Drove over some ice pack rough road surface today and it sounds like a loose bushing with 1/2" of play. Like a marble in a dampened soup can.

Service appointment a few months ago deemed it "normal....they all do it".
Same response I got.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I’m about to open another ticket for my suspension issues. This is just ridiculous for a vehicle this expensive.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

My drivers front sounds like a bad sway bar bushing too. Drove over some ice pack rough road surface today and it sounds like a loose bushing with 1/2" of play. Like a marble in a dampened soup can.

Service appointment a few months ago deemed it "normal....they all do it".
I'm having a similar issue, or at least have had the issue for a few months now, definitely coming from the front drivers corner, I notice it most on bumpy roads, or poorly paved roads etc at low speeds, or hard single hits. It cropped up about a month in, service center attempted to trace it, but couldn't find issue with the components. Having put up with it for a while now, I've made a repeat appointment to get it fixed properly. I'll update if (in December) with the results. Did you have any luck?

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I'm having a similar issue, or at least have had the issue for a few months now, definitely coming from the front drivers corner, I notice it most on bumpy roads, or poorly paved roads etc at low speeds, or hard single hits. It cropped up about a month in, service center attempted to trace it, but couldn't find issue with the components. Having put up with it for a while now, I've made a repeat appointment to get it fixed properly. I'll update if (in December) with the results. Did you have any luck?
Mine still does it. Hasn't changed in 25k miles so I assume whatever it is, isn't wearing down. Just too much tolerance somewhere, etc? I kinda figured it would would get worse, but I don't think it has.

brij patel

First Name
brijesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1t
Update x2
Brought the R1T into the service center again on Monday as the disturbing wheezing noise persisted for the past month or two.

They confirmed an issue, this time with the rear drive unit, which they're now replacing.

It's crazy to me that they ended up replacing the entirety of the vehicle's drive units (both front and rear) for various sounds/mechanical issues.

The R1T has had such a slew of mechanical troubles they've been working through since delivery in August:
- Front drive unit needed to be replaced
- Rear drive unit needed to be replaced
- Significant misalignment of wheels
- Lack of adhesive material in the hood causing it to bounce/wiggle at highway speeds
- Cupping of the tires, they're still investigating the root cause, could be more misalignment issues
- Steering wheel wiggles at highway speed -- known issue they don't have a solution for right now

To be clear, I loooove the vehicle. And the service team has been amazing. Huge shout out to them.

But every Rivian owner I've met has had mechanical issues. I'm concerned Rivian has some serious problems that are going to swell in their faces as they scale (if it's not already overwhelming them).
i was having slimier experience..rivian agree to purchase or replace. may be its time you need to file claim on bbb auto line.

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
welcome to R1 ownership. What you describe seems pretty standard.
Sponsored