First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
For anyone that wants to do their own Paint Protection Film. You can order precut film for a 2022 Rivian R1T from Drive Protected Shop. I used discount code BTG (Bearded Tesla Guy).
Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
You're going to pay $70k+ for a Rivian and then be too cheap to get a professional install of PPF?

Home installed ppf looks horrendous, always. I'm sure your family will tell you it looks great but every car person will go "Oh a Rivian! Cool! ... wait, why does it look so awful??"

OP
OP

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
You're going to pay $70k+ for a Rivian and then be too cheap to get a professional install of PPF?

Home installed ppf looks horrendous, always. I'm sure your family will tell you it looks great but every car person will go "Oh a Rivian! Cool! ... wait, why does it look so awful??"
You have no idea what my or someone else's talent is in regards to installing PPF. I don't intend to do the entire truck, just the high impact areas. And no, I don't intend to spend $3-$4k just to do those areas. It's just a $70k truck not a $350k McLaren.

Picture for attention.
Not mine but a former customer of mine.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY PPF precut film for Rivian R1T IMG_1180

Last edited:

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
Home installed ppf looks horrendous, always.
I don't know that I'd say "always." If you're patient and do your research on how to install you can do a good job. Doing it at home means you're not incentivized to get it done as fast as possible to get on to the next customer job. Even if there are a few application defects the film is still protecting the vehicle from permanent things like scratches or rock chips. And then it's removable at the end of the day.

I think if you're on a budget and just want to protect the paint on your truck then a pre-cut template takes a lot of the fuss out.

Case in point, I did a home PPF install on my Focus and covered 95% of the paint (even roof box.) It's just a daily driven Focus but I have the piece of mind that I can peel off any scratches or defects and use the car as intended without being a garage queen.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY PPF precut film for Rivian R1T 20200811_100635

Rivian R1T R1S DIY PPF precut film for Rivian R1T 20200919_174701

Last edited:

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse

I am guessing that you are probably terrible at it, but that doesn't mean everyone is. Why spend all that extra money if someone is perfectly capable of doing it themselves and it looks good? Doing a small area is not that difficult.

Sponsored

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

https://kitcutz.com/find-xpel-kit

they have a better price on some of the kits for the rivian.

also, i spoke to someone who had the front end done (hood, fenders, and front bumper/grill) of their rivian in ppf, they spent $5k between tints (windshield/ front windows), ppf, and slight paint correction where the ppf was installed.

so for those who say some are being cheap for not getting it done professionally, don't knock on others, not all of us have that kind of money to spend on things like this this. IMO this is a steep price for any vehicle under $100k.

with that said, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

"Always"? Lol, I've seen otherwise. Many times, yes, but "always" is an absurd statement.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
https://kitcutz.com/find-xpel-kit

they have a better price on some of the kits for the rivian.

also, i spoke to someone who had the front end done (hood, fenders, and front bumper/grill) of their rivian in ppf, they spent $5k between tints (windshield/ front windows), ppf, and slight paint correction where the ppf was installed.

so for those who say some are being cheap for not getting it done professionally, don't knock on others, not all of us have that kind of money to spend on things like this this. IMO this is a steep price for any vehicle under $100k.

with that said, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
$2400 just for the film? Then you need to prep the body, get the spray or adhesive or whatever, then apply it all perfectly and take several days to do so, as I understand it. Plus you risk getting dirt or dust from your garage under the film, creating an imperfect final product.

This makes $5k seem like a good price imho.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY PPF precut film for Rivian R1T BD9B9634-9397-4757-944F-2E780BB96BA5

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

$2400 just for the film? Then you need to prep the body, get the spray or adhesive or whatever, then apply it all perfectly and take several days to do so, as I understand it. Plus you risk getting dirt or dust from your garage under the film, creating an imperfect final product.

This makes $5k seem like a good price imho.

BD9B9634-9397-4757-944F-2E780BB96BA5.png
remember the $5k was just for the front end, thats $533 in pre-cut material, so i can only imagine what getting the entire truck done would be. also i do agree that if its in the budget it is worth getting it done professionally, but i wouldnt knock on those who want to try to do it and save some serious cash.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
I have used Ken at invisiblemask.com for PPF in the past and had some good results doing it myself. I will probably pay someone to do my Rivian, but if you are game to try it you can do it yourself really affordably.
The Holden pictured has the whole front end and mirror caps done by me in my garage. Another set of hands and it could have been better, but it was pretty good.
Rivian R1T R1S DIY PPF precut film for Rivian R1T E8F22709-0966-44F6-85B0-5425C972430F

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

<sarcasm>
all the pictures post here of diy installs look awful - Subarumike
</sarcasm>

ETA: Added tags to make sure folks knew I was trying to make a joke

Last edited:

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
all the pictures post here of diy installs look awful - Subarumike
Thanks man - appreciate the constructive feedback ???

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Apologies, clearly my sarcasm didn't translate.
Your sarcasm came through, but clearly mine didnā€™t. ?

Itā€™s all good. Iā€™m the rare happy person on the internet thatā€™s not looking to pick a fight.

Back on topic - the install I pictured really wasnā€™t that good. If you got within a few feet you could see where I messed up. I would call it ā€˜serviceableā€™

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
ETA: Added tags to make sure folks knew I was trying to make a joke
Hey you fooled me! I was like - wow, the internets are extra salty today!

Anyway, was thinking more about the DIY install discussion. I'd just add that bulk PPF install (where you're taking a knife within microns of your paint) is not for beginners and can go wrong quickly. So if you do want to try a home PPF install on your Rivian the pre-cut kits can save you time, money and potential heart-ache.

Just set your expectations that it will probably take you 2x as long as you think will and won't be perfect. In other words "know thyself" before deciding if you want to try it.

In my case, I'd rather spend the $5k on a camp kitchen, have a few PPF film defects and enjoy using the vehicle vs. a pristine PPF install and no $ left over. If anyone wants to just give me a spare $10k I'd happily have both ;)
Sponsored