Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I decided to build one of these since I couldn't find anything on the market that really satisfied what I was looking for. I wanted the spare out of the bed so that semi-permanent camping setup wouldn't have to get dumped on the side of the trail/freeway if we ever get a flat while we're going somewhere to camp. It didn't turn out quite exactly how I envisioned it, but it's definitely serviceable. It sort of tucks in where there is dead space between the truck and the tent when it's open. Bed is fully accessible.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY Hitch mounted spare tire swing-out carrier for R1T DIY Hitch mounted spare tire swing-out carrier for Rivian R1T

I've tightened everything up a bit further since these photos, but it's night time now, so hard to get a good photo of it. Trying to come up with a solution to relocate the license plate right now.

I'm debating setting it up so I'd be able to also have a hitch bike rack on the swing out part, but I don't think it would quite work the way I'd want it to with the tent.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY Hitch mounted spare tire swing-out carrier for R1T DIY Hitch mounted spare tire swing-out carrier for Rivian R1T a
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Goodness that wheel/tire is huuuuuge.
Yeah, they always look bigger when they aren't where you expect them to be. It definitely complicated designing this thing in order to keep it from obscuring my light bar. I welded one thing backwards so it's about an inch lower than I really wanted it to be. Also have plans to try to bend the tubing on the end so the pivot is tucked closer to the truck. Sort of a trip hazard right now.

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
I love this. It makes me want to see more down and dirty painted rims. It's not only functional (cheaper wheels, means you can afford more wheel/tire combos) but as this Ford Bronco is reminding me, still looks hella cool to this day even when applied from the OEM.

The alternate universe where Covid-19 didn't happen and Rivian is pumping out 100k units in 2022 and the aftermarket is fighting to catch up to respond, this wheel already exists. Instead, here I am waiting for a dang vehicle myself.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Nice work @Dark-Fx !!

No reason Rivian couldn't come up with something like this as an option for the R1S allowing for a full size spare.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
That wheel looks huge.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Police some areas will pull you over due to the obstruction of the license plate
Michigan has an exception for "sports equipment" One could argue that off-roading is a sport.

I just took a strap of metal and screwed it into the carrier to hang my plate off. Should be legal now in states that don't have a loophole.
Rivian R1T R1S DIY Hitch mounted spare tire swing-out carrier for R1T 1660228074450

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Tesla Model 3
DIY Hitch mounted spare tire swing-out carrier for Rivian R1T.png

I've tightened everything up a bit further since these photos, but it's night time now, so hard to get a good photo of it. Trying to come up with a solution to relocate the license plate right now.
Zip-tied to one of the horizontal bars on the left side?

Sponsored

CJ313

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia telluride, ram 1500
Clubs

Michigan has an exception for "sports equipment" One could argue that off-roading is a sport.

I just took a strap of metal and screwed it into the carrier to hang my plate off. Should be legal now in states that don't have a loophole.
1660228074450.png
Fellow Michigander! Good to know.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Nice work @Dark-Fx !!

No reason Rivian couldn't come up with something like this as an option for the R1S allowing for a full size spare.
I'm debating pulling the tailgate apart to see if I could reinforce it to be able to bolt a spare right up to it. Since it is on a gooseneck hinge there is quite a bit of space to put one there. Do we know if the R1S tailgate uses a gooseneck too?

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

1660228074450.png
I had a buddy that took a photo of his plate, printed it on a good printer in real size, laminated it and mounted it on the back wheel. Looked good and he never had any problems with it (left the original plate where it was)

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I had a buddy that took a photo of his plate, printed it on a good printer in real size, laminated it and mounted it on the back wheel. Looked good and he never had any problems with it (left the original plate where it was)
Kit with light to mount the license plate on the spare - Amazon $54. I've seen this on some Jeeps.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY Hitch mounted spare tire swing-out carrier for R1T 1660231543063

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Did you add a third brake light as well on the cross bar?
Sponsored