First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Edit: an owner confirmed below can be changed to kW. ?

So we've seen the display when connected to a fast charger a few times now, and so far the only info I can recall seeing is time to complete and charging "miles/hr". The latter just drives me absolutely batty. It looks like it's the same shitty implementation as the ID.4 where "mi/hr" is based on recent consumption since the GOM seems to also be responsive to driving behavior. So 150 kW could be 6 mi/min or it could be 4.

Hopefully that can be toggled to show kW. And hopefully the battery bar on the drive screen can be switched to show % rather than a visual bar representation. I hate that on my phone, and I hate it on cars. The graphic is objectively worse.

Rivian R1T R1S Displayed Charging info 1635065593641

Rivian R1T R1S Displayed Charging info 1635066356257

(intersting note, Marques only saw
From MKBHD video

Rivian R1T R1S Displayed Charging info 1635065659898

From a new owner's IG post
Sponsored

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
If they don't give us useful energy information during charging (current, voltage or at least kW, SoC%) and while driving (Wh/mi, kW, SoC%) I am going to be bitterly disappointed. I know full well the "dumbing down" is coming - they have to do it to sell to the STEM illiterate US market - but this thing is basically a computer and they have to process the real data to come up with the dumbed down displays so please, please, PLEASE give us the real data (selectable from some well obscured sub menu if you like)!

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
the display says “175 miles/hour”. Wouldn’t that be around 75 kW of charging? Seems low for 33% SoC.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
the display says “175 miles/hour”. Wouldn’t that be around 75 kW of charging? Seems low for 33% SoC.
Hard to say without knowing what charger it is plugged into, that could be the limiting factor.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The charger seemed to be acting up. I put no stock in what MKBHD ran into for speed.

@ajdelange I totally agree. And tbh, I think the "dumbing" is more confusing to people in the end. Most people figured out general computer specs (ram, storage, cpu speeds and cores). We aren't buying a computer based on... photos stored and web pages loaded per hour. ?

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Those look like different menus. One is the charging/options menu, and one is just what’s on the main display when plugged in.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Those look like different menus. One is the charging/options menu, and one is just what’s on the main display when plugged in.
You're right. But the charging/options menu is actually what was being used by the driver to monitor their charge. Both screens show the same miles per unit of time charge "metric" that has turned into a pet peeve of mine.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
You're right. But the charging/options menu is actually what was being used by the driver to monitor their charge. Both screens show the same miles per unit of time charge "metric" that has turned into a pet peeve of mine.
Seems like end time for charging/amount of time left Is the most useful of what’s being displayed.

Besides, wouldn’t the EVSE(presuming it’s a public one with a display) say how many kwh are being delivered?

miles/km of range isn’t so useful, just as I don’t care how many LPM the pump at the gas station is putting out.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Seems like end time for charging/amount of time left Is the most useful of what’s being displayed.

Besides, wouldn’t the EVSE(presuming it’s a public one with a display) say how many kwh are being delivered?

miles/km of range isn’t so useful, just as I don’t care how many LPM the pump at the gas station is putting out.
The end time is only useful if you plan are charging to a "full" profile or whatever you set as full (not knowing how that's defined). If you're hopping between DCFC that may or may not be particularly useful.

They do if you wake the screen (at EA for example). So it's more of an annoyance than anything. When using EA, they try to report the charging speed on their app as well, but I've had pretty slow refresh rates with it. Aaaaand the charger and car will show different amounts with charging losses, particularly at high amperage, but it's just a couple of kw difference.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
One of the owners confirmed it can be changed. Edited the original post.
Sponsored