First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Don’t get overly excited on this… As of today there has been zero indication (other than unofficial comments by a few Guides) that the PTC will ever be made available on new R1T builds going forward, much less as a retrofit to already delivered trucks. As of today no new customer can configure a R1T with a PTC on the Rivian website, nor can I (early res Max holder) reconfigure my R1T to add a PTC… at any price.
Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Don’t get overly excited on this… As of today there has been zero indication (other than unofficial comments by a few Guides) that the PTC will ever be made available on new R1T builds going forward, much less as a retrofit to already delivered trucks. As of today no new customer can configure a R1T with a PTC on the Rivian website, nor can I (early res Max holder) reconfigure my R1T to add a PTC… at any price.
for a custom build maybe you can't it (i dont know as i'd have to put down the $1000 deposit to proceed) but you can go to the website and there are still some preconfigured/available vehicles with the PTC.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

for a custom build maybe you can't it (i dont know as i'd have to put down the $1000 deposit to proceed) but you can go to the website and there are still some preconfigured/available vehicles with the PTC.
What do you mean by "you can go to the website?" You mean The Shop? I don't see any PTC vehicles in the shop (at least for my specified location).

I am originally a Max Pack early reservation holder who switched to the Large pack and then put my reservation on "hold" until the PTC is available for configuration. I have gotten no indication from my Guide that the PTC will not be available in the configurator sometime in the future.

I was told that Rivian is waiting to see how the PTC repairs in the field go before making the PTC available to be added to new orders. This was, in part to test the durability, and in part, to not piss off existing owners who have been waiting for a repair.

My take on it is - I love you guys who currently have R1Ts and I am grateful for you being here and letting me live vicariously through you.

That said, and I say this with love, 🤬 waiting for you all to get your repaired PTC! You have an R1T you are enjoying, and you had a working PTC at some point - even if it was for 6 seconds before you opened it for the first time - and you are guaranteed to get a repaired PTC at some point.

Nearly 2 years in, I am still waiting for my R1T and I have been consistently told that if I take delivery without a PTC there is no option for a retrofit. Period.

I hope that changes, but I don't see that happening.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

What do you mean by "you can go to the website?" You mean The Shop? I don't see any PTC vehicles in the shop (at least for my specified location).

I am originally a Max Pack early reservation holder who switched to the Large pack and then put my reservation on "hold" until the PTC is available for configuration. I have gotten no indication from my Guide that the PTC will not be available in the configurator sometime in the future.

I was told that Rivian is waiting to see how the PTC repairs in the field go before making the PTC available to be added to new orders. This was, in part to test the durability, and in part, to not piss off existing owners who have been waiting for a repair.

My take on it is - I love you guys who currently have R1Ts and I am grateful for you being here and letting me live vicariously through you.

That said, and I say this with love, 🤬 waiting for you all to get your repaired PTC! You have an R1T you are enjoying, and you had a working PTC at some point - even if it was for 6 seconds before you opened it for the first time - and you are guaranteed to get a repaired PTC at some point.

Nearly 2 years in, I am still waiting for my R1T and I have been consistently told that if I take delivery without a PTC there is no option for a retrofit. Period.

Yes in the Configurator/Shop. early this morning there were 4 different pre-configured trucks you could purchase with the PTC for $3000.

i just checked and thats no longer the case. they have removed the public Shop altogether! WTF. it now just takes you to the visual studio. maybe someone who has access to the R1T Shop can confirm if there are still any vehicles with the PTC but they were definitely there before.

someone either goofed by releasing the Shop or something was not right and they rolled it back. wow.

Last edited:

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Yes in the Configurator/Shop. early this morning there were 4 different pre-configured trucks you could purchase with the PTC for $3000.

i just checked and thats no longer the case. they have removed the public Shop altogether! WTF. it now just takes you to the visual studio. maybe someone who has access to the R1T Shop can confirm if there are still any vehicles with the PTC but they were definitely there before.

someone either goofed by releasing the Shop or something was not right and they rolled it back. wow.
Wow! That would be a huge goof if it was a goof.

The problem with the non-public Shop is that you only see vehicles that are in your area. Everybody is going to see something different potentially.

I am doing a factory pickup (in theory) so my Shop area is Normal, IL.

I don't see any PTC vehicles in my Shop.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Wow! That would be a huge goof if it was a goof.

The problem with the non-public Shop is that you only see vehicles that are in your area. Everybody is going to see something different potentially.

I am doing a factory pickup (in theory) so my Shop area is Normal, IL.

I don't see any PTC vehicles in my Shop.
Update! I refreshed and two vehicles showed up. WTF?!

How can these be from October 2022 when they pulled the PTC? Either these have been rejected repeatedly or maybe something is afoot.

Paging Tony?!

Rivian R1T R1S Discovered that R1T Powered Tonneau Available in Gear Shop Early 2024?! Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 7.58.30 PM

OP
OP

Stevetom84

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Shop access is still available. If you go through the visualizer, you’ll get to the end and there will be a link to the shop.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Update! I refreshed and two vehicles showed up. WTF?!

How can these be from October 2022 when they pulled the PTC? Either these have been rejected repeatedly or maybe something is afoot.

Paging Tony?!

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 7.58.30 PM.png
There have been several reports here in the last 24 hours related to customers taking delivery of 2022 VINs (think they were R1S). Not sure where these vehicles have been hiding out since being built…

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL, CBR 600RR, R1S

Mine still works ☺. Or Atleast, it did 4 months back 🤞

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

wow, interesting.

that would be amazing is that if the price they will give us early reservation orders that had to choose no cover or the manual one.

im also amazed youre an early reservation and you dont have your truck yet?
Max FTW here....

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Max FTW here....
@dleewla My R1T configuration after switching from Max Pack to Large pack would have been ready in January/February of this year but my Guide put my order on "hold" so that I can add back the PTC when it is available.

I was told, in no uncertain terms, that if I take delivery of my truck without the PTC I will not be able to add it in the future. The PTC is too important for me so I delayed my order.

I did not expect we would be sitting here nearly a year later with no updates other than this confusing communication buried in the configurator.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Shop access is still available. If you go through the visualizer, you’ll get to the end and there will be a link to the shop.
interesting. yes, i see that now.

weird that they had it on the main landing page and within less than 24 hours it was moved and buried in the visualizer. not sure why they would do that. do they not want to sell vehicles? i dont know what the hell is going on with Rivians ecommerce team.

Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

@dleewla My R1T configuration after switching from Max Pack to Large pack would have been ready in January/February of this year but my Guide put my order on "hold" so that I can add back the PTC when it is available.

I was told, in no uncertain terms, that if I take delivery of my truck without the PTC I will not be able to add it in the future. The PTC is too important for me so I delayed my order.

I did not expect we would be sitting here nearly a year later with no updates other than this confusing communication buried in the configurator.
yeah, i get why you waited.

i asked my guide multiple times before i got my truck in March if the PTC would be retrofittable after delivery and each time he said no. i got my manual tonneau last week and just before that i asked again and again he said no. then the public Shop dropped with vehicles configured with the PTC. i reached out to my guide and he was surprised to hear that. a couple of hours later he emails me saying they will be retrofittable

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
yeah, i get why you waited.

i asked my guide multiple times before i got my truck in March if the PTC would be retrofittable after delivery and each time he said no. i got my manual tonneau last week and just before that i asked again and again he said no. then the public Shop dropped with vehicles configured with the PTC. i reached out to my guide and he was surprised to hear that. a couple of hours later he emails me saying they will be retrofittable
It’s easier to change a no to a yes than vice versa. I’m not surprised the party line was no on retrofit until they were 100% sure it was a good idea. Annoying to be sure, but better to be annoyed by a no turning to a yes than yes to no, yes?

Last edited:

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I firmly believe they are saying that to avoid Indefinite holds and push orders through. But I'm with you on waiting. For me, that's 100sq/ft of lockable storage vs. Half that if I get an r1s.
Sponsored