First Name
Aopa65
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Bolt, 2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Occupation
Real Estate
I am a long time reservation holder(Dec, 2018) and have waited patiently along with a whole lot of people.
I have weathered the ups and downs associated with a start up trying to get a product to market.
But to my dismay and disappointment, Rivian has failed me again.
I originally had A White R1T with the OC interior. I was approached by my guide to see whether I would change my interior color preference.
I agreed and was given a delivery date of 5/21 @ 9:30. I was not expecting such a fast delivery timetable and have spent the last few days hustling to get all the paperwork signed, investigate trade ins and see if I wanted to finance or pay cash.
Due to the time constraints I decided to pay cash. I completed the entire purchase process and sent Rivian my hard earned cash.
(Now a little background on the decision to buy it now. I was told by my guide that the vehicle was in my home town and that I could schedule delivery anytime I wanted but as I mentioned before I had to get all the paperwork together.)
Then I get a call saying the truck is somehow in Orlando and will arrive on Saturday and not the original date of Friday.
No problem, I've waited this long why not another day.
Then I get another call saying the truck hasn't even left Orlando and may be in my town sometime next week.
Now Rivian has my money and can't tell me when I'll get my truck.
Looking back now I had the sense the guide was desperate to sell trucks that no one wanted. He was adamant that I could get the vehicle anytime, yet it mysteriously moved from my town to Orlando?
Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
I recommend you bypass your guide and call customer service directly. If you cannot rely on the information for your guide, get someone else involved.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Looking back now I had the sense the guide was desperate to sell trucks that no one wanted. He was adamant that I could get the vehicle anytime, yet it mysteriously moved from my town to Orlando?
Nobody is desperate to sell trucks that "no one wanted." These are vehicles that are going for $40k over MSRP used in the aftermarket.

They do have a bit of a logistics nightmare and direct to consumer, just-in-time auto deliveries are tricky, especially with independent contractors at several important steps (e.g. auto transporters).

It's understandable to be frustrated and I won't tell you not to be, but try to bear in mind that this is a handful of days delay for a vehicle you're going to spend years with, and have already waited years for. Small potatoes and not the place to get emotionally invested. A few days patience and letting yourself enjoy the thing when it arrives will be worth it once it's in your driveway.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If one is paying cash can't you wait to provide a cashiers check on delivery? I get financing being a bit of a timing hurdle where you probably can't wait to initiate the process on delivery day after seeing a vehicle but cash should make this easy. Unless I'm mistaken.

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
That’s very disappointing.

Based on all the stories that sound similar we are not paying until the truck is in the driveway. We are expecting a May 25 delivery.

We will be handing the check over then.

Sorry to hear you are having such a rotten buying/delivery experience.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

That’s very disappointing.

Based on all the stories that sound similar we are not paying until the truck is in the driveway. We are expecting a May 25 delivery.

We will be handing the check over then.

Sorry to hear you are having such a rotten buying/delivery experience.
Don't think that's possible. Might be an Oregon thing or a lie, but i was told they had to have proof of payment 24 hits before delivery which is a picture of the church and a tracking number for its delivery.

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Don't think that's possible. Might be an Oregon thing or a lie, but i was told they had to have proof of payment 24 hits before delivery which is a picture of the church and a tracking number for its delivery.
Yah, I’ll upload the front of the check for proof 24 hours before and hand it over physically when I get the truck.

That was what was agreed to.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
[…] which is a picture of the church and a tracking number for its delivery.
Things are getting all religious in here now! ⛪

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Something to consider if you're concerned over the history of the vehicle "desperate to sell trucks that no one wanted.": Post the last 4 of the VIN to see if someone has previously rejected the vehicle because of some reason ie damage. Not sure you'll get an answer but may assuage your fears.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I completed the entire purchase process and sent Rivian my hard earned cash............................

I'm sympathetic.

I paid Rivian to get the 8 step process completed ASAP. Since then my estimated delivery date has been slipping. If I was doing this again, I'd try a lot harder to delay payment to be close to a more certain delivery date. As it is, delivery will be at least 3 weeks after I submitted payment, not so bad as a few other cases I've seen here, but still seriously annoying to me.

Rivian's approach to taking full payment well before they are ready to schedule delivery seems more than a little cavalier. This purchase process is new, and some companies do this kind of stuff to help with working capital. But it significantly is reducing my enthusiasm for the product. Taking someone's money should come with a real sense of urgency to complete the delivery.

Maybe Rivian could at least pay me the same interest on my $80k loan to them as they charge on their car loans. Would be at least couple hundred dollars.

Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I am a long time reservation holder(Dec, 2018) and have waited patiently along with a whole lot of people.
I have weathered the ups and downs associated with a start up trying to get a product to market.
But to my dismay and disappointment, Rivian has failed me again.
I originally had A White R1T with the OC interior. I was approached by my guide to see whether I would change my interior color preference.
I agreed and was given a delivery date of 5/21 @ 9:30. I was not expecting such a fast delivery timetable and have spent the last few days hustling to get all the paperwork signed, investigate trade ins and see if I wanted to finance or pay cash.
Due to the time constraints I decided to pay cash. I completed the entire purchase process and sent Rivian my hard earned cash.
(Now a little background on the decision to buy it now. I was told by my guide that the vehicle was in my home town and that I could schedule delivery anytime I wanted but as I mentioned before I had to get all the paperwork together.)
Then I get a call saying the truck is somehow in Orlando and will arrive on Saturday and not the original date of Friday.
No problem, I've waited this long why not another day.
Then I get another call saying the truck hasn't even left Orlando and may be in my town sometime next week.
Now Rivian has my money and can't tell me when I'll get my truck.
2018 November order and got a guide who said "I can't tell you when your exact configuration will be ready, but you can buy one of these..."

I had El Cap, black mountain, with black 22's

Needless to say I'm picking up a Black R1T next week.

Beggars can't be chooser with Rivian at this point I guess.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Yah, I’ll upload the front of the check for proof 24 hours before and hand it over physically when I get the truck.

That was what was agreed to.
Oh sure, that make sense. Not sure why my brain couldn't compute that scenario.

ETA:

The only part that would deviate from what i was told is that under "documents" along with the check I have to enter the tracking number for the delivery. Maybe that's why I was confused.

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Oh sure, that make sense. Not sure why my brain couldn't compute that scenario.

ETA:

The only part that would deviate from what i was told is that under "documents" along with the check I have to enter the tracking number for the delivery. Maybe that's why I was confused.
I believe that was the situation if the lending institution was sending the check to Rivian directly.

Bravado21

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99' Subara Impreza 2.5RS, R1T LE
Occupation
Engineer
That is correct. I sent payment/tracking literally 24 hours prior to delivery and the payment was sent to California from Florida overnight and I received the truck before my payment was delivered via fedex.

I just had to provide pictures of the checks and the tracking information.

bbqdevil

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR, Rivian R1T on order
Occupation
Director, Design and Video
Taking someone's money should come with a real sense of urgency to complete the delivery.
There's also the fact that they require an insurance card before you can arrange delivery, which I've never had to do before. My insurance company balked at it and pointed out the grace period to document a new car, but Rivian insisted, so we guessed at the date and put the truck on our plan. Then we made our first plan adjustment once the date was confirmed, because you can't get a delivery date in step 8 without the proof of insurance. Then we had to change the VIN with the insurance company (and the credit union) when Rivian told us they accidentally gave us the wrong VIN (after all paperwork was complete and signed and the credit union sent the check), so that was change #2. Then got our series of delays on our scheduled delivery (current delivery is now still TBD when it was originally for today). So our insurance company has to change the policy a third time and I'm paying for insurance for a truck I don't actually possess yet in addition to covering the trade-in that we still have. My insurance agent bristles at the word Rivian right now, and I don't blame her.

Their whole process is fundamentally flawed—there's horrible communication between the groups who build the trucks, who assign the VINs, and who QC the trucks before leaving the factory (poorly, apparently) and none of them are communicating with the guides. Follow this with the incredibly high number of vehicles arriving at the SCs damaged and this is, hands down, the worst car buying experience I've ever had. Ever.
Sponsored

Last edited: