Sponsored

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Took the wireless charging mat off today. Very easy to remove, just lift up from the crevice with your fingers. Easy to remove and clean but it is held on with 4 pieces of double sided tape. The wireless charging module is underneath.

Two discoveries / observations
  1. My phone sticks better to the charging area without the rubber mat on top.
  2. Charging seemed to connect faster without the pad.
Rivian R1T R1S Disabling Wireless Charging Pad - Photos & Observations 20220506_152533

Rivian R1T R1S Disabling Wireless Charging Pad - Photos & Observations 20220506_152541

The wireless charger is basically useless while driving. The phone slides around and then constantly connects / disconnects charging. On my phone there's an audible charge / stop charge sound that interrupts the audio non stop. While it does work while parked, wireless charging tech is just too slow in general. I had previously already resorted to cable charging and so today I unplugged the wireless charging module. Now I don't have to worry about having keys or a wallet sitting up there.

Rivian R1T R1S Disabling Wireless Charging Pad - Photos & Observations ss

The module is held in by three plastic clips in the front. Lift the clips and pull up from the crevice same as the pad.

Rivian R1T R1S Disabling Wireless Charging Pad - Photos & Observations 20220506_152733

Hoping Rivian gives us a software option to turn this off at some point. Until then, I'll leave mine unplugged. Easy to access and plenty of room for the cable unplugged under there. Haven't immediately seen any issues but I'll report back if the truck complains about it.

Rivian R1T R1S Disabling Wireless Charging Pad - Photos & Observations 20220506_152850

Rivian R1T R1S Disabling Wireless Charging Pad - Photos & Observations 22

I took some pictures of the connector. Thinking of buying some matching connectors and installing a hardware cutoff switch for the 12v side hidden in the center console. I'll see if leaving it unplugged throws any errors first though.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Weight reduction

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
However so minut... vampire drain reduction?
DB
It would have to be from the worlds smallest vampire 🧛‍♂️ ... I should know (see profile pic) ... LOL

CEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Tech
did you happen to try opening the charger module? Curious whats inside as I have been considering trying swap it for a mag safe charger

Sponsored

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Hopefully Rivian does a redesign on that charge mat due to all the problems people are having. I also would welcome a disable button so you can put things ontop of it. Would almost be better if they put the wireless charging down in the bottom tray area.

I would just email rivian asking for a possible disable button, not sure if possible but if enough people ask for it might happen.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Thanks for posting. Feels like a mag or other charger retrofit.

OP
OP
time

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
did you happen to try opening the charger module? Curious whats inside as I have been considering trying swap it for a mag safe charger
I didn't open up the charger module itself but it looked like it was within a frame. Probably could be possible to replace the module or something custom / 3D printed and then hide it under the oem mat. A mag safe solution would probably be ideal. I didn't pull out the multimeter to see what the pennant was. I think you were going to go that way it would probably be safer to use USB C power in the console.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Someone has produced a one-off mag safe solution, but it doesn't use the native power chord.

I would totally be on board with someone producing an aftermarket replacement that isn't mag save (Android user here), but is a flip up drawer or something like what Toyota has in their EV and includes a frictional slip to keep it from sliding around or something. Bonus points for a fan.

OP
OP
time

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Coming up short on trying to find that connector. Molex doesn't seem to have anything like it in their catalog. Any ideas?

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Charging pad works fine with my Pixel 5 and minimalist case.

My biggest question for you is: what do the folks at McDonald's say when you pull up in a $90k truck?

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
Took the wireless charging mat off today. Very easy to remove, just lift up from the crevice with your fingers. Easy to remove and clean but it is held on with 4 pieces of double sided tape. The wireless charging module is underneath.

Two discoveries / observations
  1. My phone sticks better to the charging area without the rubber mat on top.
  2. Charging seemed to connect faster without the pad.
20220506_152533.jpg

20220506_152541.jpg

The wireless charger is basically useless while driving. The phone slides around and then constantly connects / disconnects charging. On my phone there's an audible charge / stop charge sound that interrupts the audio non stop. While it does work while parked, wireless charging tech is just too slow in general. I had previously already resorted to cable charging and so today I unplugged the wireless charging module. Now I don't have to worry about having keys or a wallet sitting up there.

ss.jpg

The module is held in by three plastic clips in the front. Lift the clips and pull up from the crevice same as the pad.

20220506_152733.jpg

Hoping Rivian gives us a software option to turn this off at some point. Until then, I'll leave mine unplugged. Easy to access and plenty of room for the cable unplugged under there. Haven't immediately seen any issues but I'll report back if the truck complains about it.

20220506_152850.jpg

22.jpg

I took some pictures of the connector. Thinking of buying some matching connectors and installing a hardware cutoff switch for the 12v side hidden in the center console. I'll see if leaving it unplugged throws any errors first though.
I'm thinking this is just a fancy power USB. 4 wires like USB power.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Make sure to tape that wire up, mine got caught in the cupholder and it was a pain to free up

Last edited:
OP
OP
time

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charging pad works fine with my Pixel 5 and minimalist case.

My biggest question for you is: what do the folks at McDonald's say when you pull up in a $90k truck?
I order the 95 cent senior coffee every day. One cream, one sugar

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I guess I’m missing why everyone is having such an issue with the charge pad. My phone charges every time I put it on the pad and it never slides. I’m not doing any aggressive driving, but what am I missing?
Sponsored

Last edited: