Sponsored

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
The tank turn was a neat trick that made a good demo but front dig would actually be useful. Here's hoping we actually get it.
Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Probably just in time for R2.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I dig it.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

This looks like the kind of iterative improvement that will take advantage of the tech in these vehicles. Like a real-world tank turn. I'd still like a full-spin tank turn mode for fun off road, but small improvements like this will make these vehicles even better as the software matures.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty much. Similar to how toyota and the new bronco use ABS pump to lock inner rear wheel for tighter turns off road, but applying torque in the direction opposite travel with individual motor instead.
It does
I don’t think so. This is more like the turn assist that the Bronco has, but the inside wheel turns backwards instead of braking.

I’d like to have tank turn, but this could still be very useful on mountain switchbacks.
I don't think any of the wheels turn backwards, it sounds like they are adding resistance so it doesn't rotate as fast. Could also be done with braking.... but less wear and tear?

"While operating in the front dig mode, forward torque is provided to the front wheels of the vehicle. Further, resistance is applied to forward rotation of the inner back wheel of the vehicle. Yet further, forward torque is provided to the outer back wheel of the vehicle."

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It does

I don't think any of the wheels turn backwards, it sounds like they are adding resistance so it doesn't rotate as fast. Could also be done with braking.... but less wear and tear?

"While operating in the front dig mode, forward torque is provided to the front wheels of the vehicle. Further, resistance is applied to forward rotation of the inner back wheel of the vehicle. Yet further, forward torque is provided to the outer back wheel of the vehicle."
Another advantage to using motor torque to stop the wheel, they likely have much finer control compared to using the brake system
Sponsored