First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
I would like to know the different milages associated with the different drive modes.

KC_R1S

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Chrysler Pacifica
Occupation
Optometrist
I am a dual R1S reservation holder. My concern/hope is that the dual in all-purpose mode won't negatively effect tire longevity vs quad motor in all purpose due to essentially being a front wheel drive vehicle vs full time AWD like the quad is.

The way I understand it, there is more front tire wear with 1. Heavy vehicle, 2. quad in conserve mode puts more torque on the front tires when accelerating 3. More torque also on them when using regenerative braking and, 4. Ride height in conserve affects wheel camber in a way that wears the tires unevenly.

On the dual, the rear motor engages when under heavy acceleration to combat faster tire wear and being front wheel drive while in standard height will benefit camber, but it is still a heavy vehicle and also puts more stress on them under regenerative braking.

So, while the dual in all purpose will likely be better for tires than the quad in conserve, it is hard to imagine that the dual motor won't at least be somewhat harder on the front tires in all purpose then the quad is in all purpose for the reasons I mentioned. I hope I'm wrong. I'm not an engineer, but just hoping to get a reasonable life out of the tires. Does anyone follow my logic and/or offer any thoughts on this?

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Hmmā€¦Iā€™m disappointed in the lack of rock crawl and sand modes in the dual. Iā€™ve actually used both modes on a few trails here in the metro Phoenix area. I imagine the dual Enduros will still be quite capable, but would like more information.

Iā€™m actually re-thinking my dual Max Pack preorder. Iā€™m not entirely convinced of the value for me personally but I have time to do more research and decide.

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What I would really like to know is why we can't configure a DM R1T yet if we placed a pre order in the last 9 months. I've been invited to configure my R1T, but I still can't select dual motor or max pack.

I assume it's because they are going to increase pricing which would be a huge bummer.
Plenty of deliveries ahead of you that were made before they switched off the ability to reserve a configured system. I'd guess at least the first 8 months of production is essentially already spoken for. For planning purposes they seem to only need to have a general idea of what they are producing in the next 3 months.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Plenty of deliveries ahead of you that were made before they switched off the ability to reserve a configured system. I'd guess at least the first 8 months of production is essentially already spoken for. For planning purposes they seem to only need to have a general idea of what they are producing in the next 3 months.
We will see. I'm a bit surprised they wouldn't want to get a better understanding of what people are actually waiting for and plan that way. I do think this has more to do with potential pricing changes.

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

I use Quad motors for the Snow Mode. I live where the snow gets 12" plus. The road plows create long piles of hard snow frozen and mixed with rocks. This is like climbing over rough shaped power poles on the roadside to access your driveway. The Snow Mode in the R1T is incredible. The 15" high center allows climbing over the plow berms.
I will admit, the cold temperature shortens the range of the charge and uses the charge up quickly, but living in the mountains is a choice. Being king of the mountain means you actually get home and not stuck on the roadside in freezing weather waiting hours for a tow truck.

iceman12578

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, Volvo xc90 recharge
Occupation
designer
Not sure if folks noticed but in the new rivian stories for the Dual Motor, you can see where it doesnt get the yellow brakes and badging....

Rivian R1T R1S Differences between Dual-Motor AWD, Performance Dual-Motor AWD, Quad-Motor AWD : Drive mode, ride height, badging details -- posted by Rivian Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 9.15.06 AM

Rivian R1T R1S Differences between Dual-Motor AWD, Performance Dual-Motor AWD, Quad-Motor AWD : Drive mode, ride height, badging details -- posted by Rivian Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 9.14.18 AM

Rivian R1T R1S Differences between Dual-Motor AWD, Performance Dual-Motor AWD, Quad-Motor AWD : Drive mode, ride height, badging details -- posted by Rivian Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 9.14.03 AM

Sponsored

ebarke

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
why does this matter?
Occupation
software engineer
Iā€™ve been thinking of caving and just going with a shop quad motor. Ever since they nixed the quad max Iā€™ve been holding out with my pre March 22ā€™ pricing primarily for improvement in QC. Itā€™d be my only vehicle and I simply donā€™t have the time to fix the little things. Iā€™ve held on to some hope for the dual performance but now Iā€™m really questioning why Iā€™m paying an extra $10,000 for lower performance and <50 mile range increase + aforementioned changes.
I'm in the exact same boat, I keep getting close to pulling the trigger on exact build, only large pack instead of max, but I'm just not sure it will be able to tow what I need for 150 miles. Seems like there are people here that are able to tow much larger and get that range, but I don't want to push it with 0 miles left when I get to my destination.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
I'm in the exact same boat, I keep getting close to pulling the trigger on exact build, only large pack instead of max, but I'm just not sure it will be able to tow what I need for 150 miles. Seems like there are people here that are able to tow much larger and get that range, but I don't want to push it with 0 miles left when I get to my destination.
Yeah, in the same boat here- towing, but that is only long distance for a couple of weeks a year, then also given the announced motor configuration and performance differences, there is a certain appeal with the quad motor.

Then towing, once you get to 20%, and going up hill... will you be getting "running out of charge anxiety) ;-)

Will be looking closely at the R1 shop with the wife tonight, for sure. Buy a quad now or wait 4-5 months :)

ebarke

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
why does this matter?
Occupation
software engineer
Yeah, in the same boat here- towing, but that is only long distance for a couple of weeks a year, then also given the announced motor configuration and performance differences, there is a certain appeal with the quad motor.

Then towing, once you get to 20%, and going up hill... will you be getting "running out of charge anxiety) ;-)

Will be looking closely at the R1 shop with the wife tonight, for sure. Buy a quad now or wait 4-5 months :)
Yeah, that was another thought, or keep quad for a couple years, and when battery tech and efficiency get better, might be able to get 400+ miles on a smaller battery that's quicker to charge.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Yeah, that was another thought, or keep quad for a couple years, and when battery tech and efficiency get better, might be able to get 400+ miles on a smaller battery that's quicker to charge.
Everyone always says "when battery technology gets better". Guess what? This is it. We've reached the pinnacle of 18650/21700 energy density. It's not getting better. The best you can hope for is they throw more batteries at the problem.

Now, Toyota thinks solid state is the next iteration of automotive battery tech, we'll see if that's true in 2026. But Rivian has put all their eggs into cylinder cells, they aren't switching horses until the end of the decade at the earliest. Tesla is just now getting their 4580 series into production and it's been 11 years since Model S and 15 years since Roadster gen1.
Sponsored