Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Can someone mechanically inclined make any inferences based on this screen capture of RJ’s AMA? Looks like a differential/gearbox to me but I’m not an ME.
This hints at the question that I have about the dual-motor. There has to be some mechanism to govern the speed of each wheel independently; perhaps the video shows this?

A related question: Rivian is making the motors in-house, are they also fabricating the gearbox/differential housing and gears (assuming that's whats controlling wheel speed)?
Sponsored

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
This hints at the question that I have about the dual-motor. There has to be some mechanism to govern the speed of each wheel independently; perhaps the video shows this?

A related question: Rivian is making the motors in-house, are they also fabricating the gearbox/differential housing and gears (assuming that's whats controlling wheel speed)?
It looks like part of a differential to me; I think it’s unlikely to have a locker (but who knows) so as many have said, performance governed by software for throttle control and braking on wheels without traction like Toyota atrac/others.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve been thinking of caving and just going with a shop quad motor. Ever since they nixed the quad max I’ve been holding out with my pre March 22’ pricing primarily for improvement in QC. It’d be my only vehicle and I simply don’t have the time to fix the little things. I’ve held on to some hope for the dual performance but now I’m really questioning why I’m paying an extra $10,000 for lower performance and <50 mile range increase + aforementioned changes.
I was an R1T Max reservation holder, and when Rivian sent the memo last December indicating the change to dual-motor Max was the only option, was in the same quandry. As a household, we also have only a single vehicle, and would be exchanging our very reliable if unexciting Telluride for the Rivian. Obviously, that means reliability is a key attribute. I'll also add that because I tow a camper, I thought that it would be best to go with the Max battery.

Eventually we became convinced that we did not want to be beta testers for the new DM Max, particularly as the cost differential was minimal with only a marginal range improvement. With that in mind, and with improvements to the charging network happening at a decent pace, we decided to try and live with the Large battery.

The only reason that we reserved the R1T was the Max, so once the big battery was no longer in play, it made sense to revert to the SUV. The R1S fits our household better as we travel with two dogs and lots of gear. I'm also hoping that towing our small teardrop with the R1S will be a better aero package than the R1T would have been, making our range loss less of an issue.

Still waiting on an estimated delivery for our newly reserved R1S, but with Rivian saying they want to liquidate their pre-price increase reservation holders this year, expect it before December.

Edit: fix typo

Last edited:

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I was an R1T Max reservation holder, and when Rivian sent the memo last December indicating the change to dual-motor Max was the only option, was in the same quandry. As a household, we also have only a single vehicle, and would be exchanging our very reliable if unexciting Telluride for the Rivian. Obviously, that means reliability is a key attribute. I'll also add that because I tow a camper, I thought that it would be best to go with the Max battery.

Eventually we became convinced that we did not want to be beta testers for the new DM Max, particularly as the cost differential was minimal with only a marginal range improvement. With that in mind, and with improvements to the charging network happening at a decent pace, we decided to try and live with the Large battery.

The only reason that we reserved the R1T was the Max, so once the big battery was no longer in play, it made to revert to an SUV. The R1S fits our household better as we travel with two dogs and lots of gear. I'm also hoping that towing our small teardrop with the R1S will be a better aero package than the R1T would have been, making our range loss less of an issue.

Still waiting on an estimated delivery for our newly reserved R1S, but with Rivian saying they want to liquidate their pre-price increase reservation holders this year, expect it before December.
They will liquidate their pre-price increase R1T holders this year. The R1S pre March holders stretch well into 2024. I ordered October 2021 and have a 1H 2024 estimated date for the S and that is why I switched to the T. So plan on it being 2024 for your S.

Nsblifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid Touareg

The only reason that we reserved the R1T was the Max, so once the big battery was no longer in play, it made to revert to an SUV. The R1S fits our household better as we travel with two dogs and lots of gear. I'm also hoping that towing our small teardrop with the R1S will be a better aero package than the R1T would have been, making our range loss less of an issue.

Not excited about being a beta tester either. Not for $90k as my sole vehicle. Especially when I’m currently driving around a reliable vehicle (that has practically only needed oil changes for the last 100k miles) and worth less than $5k. I must’ve missed the press release on liquidation by Dec 23’. Guess I have big decisions to make. Besides software improvements, I wonder if they’re making strides on ironing out of all of the imperfections on current R1T builds? I was hoping RJ would address QC during Q&A, but of course nothing but softball.

Sponsored

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

My experience is the tire wear is high on ride heights and lows, standard height saves tires. To me, the tires are the most expensive part of the truck. I charge for free at my solar powered house. So the extra distance I get in conserve lowest is just tire wear. I have the Quad Motor package, so I have Lowest and highest settings options. I will without worry use the Snow mode when it snows, as well the highest settings while doing so but that is to avoid getting stuck. I have the 21" wheels and the tires are expensive!.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
What I would really like to know is why we can't configure a DM R1T yet if we placed a pre order in the last 9 months. I've been invited to configure my R1T, but I still can't select dual motor or max pack.

I assume it's because they are going to increase pricing which would be a huge bummer.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
I wonder why the DM is front biased rather than rear biased. Most vehicles that have full time 4WD are rear biased until the front axle is needed. My only worry about the front bias is torque steer if the rear motor doesn’t kick in fast enough to balance the power.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T

The only reason that we reserved the R1T was the Max, so once the big battery was no longer in play, it made sense to revert to the SUV. The R1S fits our household better as we travel with two dogs and lots of gear. I'm also hoping that towing our small teardrop with the R1S will be a better aero package than the R1T would have been, making our range loss less of an issue.

Edit: fix typo
If you have a reservation, switching between R1S and R1T would keep your spot in the line. It will.not be a new reservation.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I wonder why the DM is front biased rather than rear biased. Most vehicles that have full time 4WD are rear biased until the front axle is needed. My only worry about the front bias is torque steer if the rear motor doesn’t kick in fast enough to balance the power.
I don't understand this either. Torque steer and added tire wear. Not sure if disconnecting motor physically like quads?

Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They will liquidate their pre-price increase R1T holders this year. The R1S pre March holders stretch well into 2024. I ordered October 2021 and have a 1H 2024 estimated date for the S and that is why I switched to the T. So plan on it being 2024 for your S.
I thought it was all pre-March reservations and stand corrected if that's not the case.

I'll also say that I'm OK with waiting. For one, I've already waited three years, another year is no big deal. Another reason is that the wait gives Rivian more time to fix their production issues, hopefully meaning fewer defects in the one that makes it to my driveway.

The biggest reason I don't mind waiting is that it allows the charging network to grow and become more robust. That said, the recent announcement by Ford that they are adopting the Tesla charging "standard" is concerning. It will have an impact on non-Tesla/Ford EV owners since at the least, it gives Ford and Tesla owners access to even more chargers, while limiting access for those who own EV's from other makers.

WhidbeyIsland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lexus RX350 & 2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired!
I’ve been thinking of caving and just going with a shop quad motor. Ever since they nixed the quad max I’ve been holding out with my pre March 22’ pricing primarily for improvement in QC. It’d be my only vehicle and I simply don’t have the time to fix the little things. I’ve held on to some hope for the dual performance but now I’m really questioning why I’m paying an extra $10,000 for lower performance and <50 mile range increase + aforementioned changes.
I am in the exact same situation... Trying to decide if I wait for the Dual+Max (Oct-Dec) or fall back to the Quad+Large config (now). I am anxiously waiting on some real world Dual motor testing and performance comparisons. Of course, the one other reason to wait... to see if the automatic Tonneau cover gets reintroduced.

Nsblifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid Touareg
I am in the exact same situation... Trying to decide if I wait for the Dual+Max (Oct-Dec) or fall back to the Quad+Large config (now). I am anxiously waiting on some real world Dual motor testing and performance comparisons. Of course, the one other reason to wait... to see if the automatic Tonneau cover gets reintroduced.
Glad to know I’m not alone, I guess. I’m super torn. I think a large part of my inability to make a decision is that the vehicle we originally reserved literally ceased to exist last year. Kinda left me in limbo.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
I don't understand this either. Torque steer and added tire wear. Not sure if disconnecting motor physically like quads?
Tire wear shouldn’t be a concern. The soft compound stock tires are going to wear quickly just from the weight of the vehicle. These trucks really need a LT E load tire.

I do not know for sure but it sounds like the rear motor is disconnected via a clutch pack and engages when needed.

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

They will liquidate their pre-price increase R1T holders this year.
Rivian has said that, but several pre-price increase R1T max-pack reservations still have delivery estimates well into 2024. (Mine was one of them, until a month ago when I switched to an R1S).
Sponsored