Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

It’s bit like the Carrera and Carrera S.
You pay less you get less.
Seems logical especially for the people paying for the quad. They still need to feel like it’s the top of the line (until that in-house ultra performance drive unit comes out… what color will the calipers be?).
I wonder if they will have a special mode like Plaid or Sapphire. Some new colors, wheels etc.
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I read it a second time and feel less so, but the decreased drive modes coupled with the decreased suspension height, and the different badging would make me feel like I’m getting less of a car. Which is fine. I’m not crying about it like some would 🤣. I guess just after reading about quad for so long I was thinking of taking advantage of or at least being equipped to take advantage of things that wouldn’t be available in my dual motor variant.
You literally are getting "the lesser option" - otherwise they wouldn't charge extra for quad motor.

Really, the things you're missing aren't huge. "Lowest" suspension setting isn't all that useful. The extra drive modes are *SUPER* limited-purpose; and even "All Terrain" mode on dual-motor should be just as capable as the best factory ICE off-roaders. Things like Rally, Drift, Rock Crawl, and Soft Sand are so super-limited in usefulness that if you're the kind of person who actually *WOULD* get use out of them, you're probably looking at the quad-motor only anyway. And it's not like you _can't_ rock crawl, or rally drive, or drive on soft sand without those modes.

They explained why you don't need Conserve mode, and Sport mode is for the performance model.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
For a lot of us coming from ICE vehicles, any one of the three options would out perform anything we have ever driven. Besides my purpose build 63 Falcon Sprint on nitrous and drag slicks, I can't think of any car I've ever been in that out accelerates our R1S.

Do people who's first EV was a Tesla Y performance, lose sleep at night thinking about the performance of a plaid?

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Reactions: Guy

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I wish they would bring conserve mode in the quad drive inline with the all purpose of the dual motor. I find conserve to happily spin the front wheels all the time and don't use it for that reason. Something that I would really like to see.
There's practically no reason to use conserve unless you're in a bind for more miles. Whatever you gain in range, you pay for it in tires costs and more wear&tear on the front motor. 8000 lbs of stop&go on one motor is never good long term.

Sponsored

rosspa2

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ipace
There's practically no reason to use conserve unless you're in a bind for more miles. Whatever you gain in range, you pay for it in tires costs and more wear&tear on the front motor. 8000 lbs of stop&go on one motor is never good long term.
Sure but it should be safe to use and it's not really.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Sure but it should be safe to use and it's not really.
It's safe if you don't use it. When you're trying to conserve on range, there's no reason you should be spinning the tires with your driving. 😄

Dirtcom_AJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Automotive Design
Front wheel drive on the Quad motor makes the steering wheel feel heavier and slightly more jittery on the highway. I wonder if that will be how the dual motor will feel on All Purpose since it will be majority FWD.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
This news is very disappointing to me. I'm still processing. But I have a dual motor reservation and when I put it down, I expected the only differences would be the motors. They said 600+ hp, which I assumed of they find more they give us more. But instead they made a new tier that's only slightly cheaper then the quad. Ok, fine, they still technically meet what they said. But I'm still bummed. Now they're taking drive modes away. One of the differentiators of the R1S over it's rivals is that it goes from full sporty on road, to comfortable to off road. By taking away these drive modes, it's making it a lot more similar to the much cheaper Kia EV9. The EV9 has many tech features that Rivian lacks.

Is 600+ HP not considered sporty? Why nerf it? I I thought that still sounds sporty to me. I was expecting to go around in sport mode most of the time. Sporty is more than just 0-60 times. Turning can be a lot more rewarding.

I don't expect to use the off road modes much, but I was just reading a thread about how much better the ride and handling are in rally mode. That seems worth having now.

It seems like the range is not likely to actually be better in the dual vs quad on conserve. The only advantage now is that it auto switches for you. Hopefully it does that really well, because I've been really annoyed by automatic AWD systems in the past. But my 2015 Model S did it just fine. But I think it defaulted to AWD and disabled to front when going faster. That seems like the way to go.

Is the sport mode actually much different?

How annoying is it really to switch to conserve mode on the freeway for long trips?

Do people ever use the off road modes for normal driving?

If Rivian thinks that the base isn't sporty, then it seems like they'll continue to exclude it from the fun updates. And that seems to take away so much of what makes Rivian Rivian. I hope they reconsider.

Sponsored

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Differences between Dual-Motor AWD, Performance Dual-Motor AWD, Quad-Motor AWD : Drive mode, ride height, badging details -- posted by Rivian IMG_2567

Can someone mechanically inclined make any inferences based on this screen capture of RJ’s AMA? Looks like a differential/gearbox to me but I’m not an ME.

AlexF

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, BMW
Occupation
Computer Systems Validation Engineer
Yet again, as a max pack holder forced into the dual, I’m disappointed. At what point will I finally pull the plug 😂 .

Still waiting for some off road reviews. I hope there is some sort of aggressive ATRAC like control system.

Last edited:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Do people who's first EV was a Tesla Y performance, lose sleep at night thinking about the performance of a plaid?
My first EV was a 4.2 sec Dual Motor Model 3 and I almost instantly regretted not getting the 3.2 second Performance version.

When Tesla offered the software acceleration boost I jumped on it. Noticeable and very worthwhile improvement, but it only gets me halfway to where I would have been with the real performance version.

Those performance stats are very close to Rivian Quad Motor vs Dual. So very easy for me to say Quad motor for me for sure.

Nsblifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid Touareg
I’ve been thinking of caving and just going with a shop quad motor. Ever since they nixed the quad max I’ve been holding out with my pre March 22’ pricing primarily for improvement in QC. It’d be my only vehicle and I simply don’t have the time to fix the little things. I’ve held on to some hope for the dual performance but now I’m really questioning why I’m paying an extra $10,000 for lower performance and <50 mile range increase + aforementioned changes.
Sponsored