Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
https://rivian.com/support/article/...al-motor-awd-performance-dual-motor-awd-and-q

What are the differences between Dual-Motor AWD, Performance Dual-Motor AWD and Quad-Motor AWD vehicles?
Preorder holders can choose between three drive systems that distribute power to all four wheels when configuring their Rivian vehicle. With Dual-Motor vehicles delivering soon, here are some details to help you decide.

• Dual-Motor AWD provides excellent performance and versatility while maximizing range.
  • Performance Dual-Motor AWD offers additional on-road performance while maximizing range.
  • Quad-Motor AWD is designed for maximum performance, on-road and off.
Automatic AWD vs Permanent AWD
When in All-Purpose mode, Automatic AWD drives the vehicle using the front axle motor and wheels to optimize range, but automatically and seamlessly sends power to the rear axle motor and wheels as needed - instantly engaging the rear motor when accelerating heavily or when a loss of traction is detected. This makes Automatic AWD the most efficient AWD system we offer.

For performance and safety, when in all other drive modes (Snow, Tow, All-Terrain and Sport), both motors will be always-on similar to Permanent AWD.

Quad-Motor AWD uses a Permanent AWD system in which all 4 motors are always enabled (unless the Conserve drive mode is selected).

Drive Modes
Dual-Motor AWD vehicles come with four drive modes:

• All-Purpose
  • Snow
  • Tow
  • All-Terrain
Performance Dual-Motor AWD vehicles come with five drive modes:

• All-Purpose
  • Snow
  • Tow
  • All-Terrain
  • Sport
Quad-Motor AWD vehicles come with ten drive modes:

• All-Purpose
  • Snow
  • Tow
  • All-Terrain
  • Sport
  • Conserve
  • Rock Crawl
  • Rally
  • Drift
  • Soft Sand
Why donā€™t Dual-Motor AWD and Performance Dual-Motor AWD vehicles have Conserve mode?

Dual-Motor variants use our Automatic AWD drive system. In All-Purpose mode, Dual-Motor vehicles are propelled by the front motor and front wheels only. Similarly, a Quad-Motor vehicle in Conserve mode de-couples the rear motors so that only the front motors are in use. Since a de-coupled rear axle is the default setting for All-Purpose mode in a Dual-Motor vehicle, a separate Conserve mode is not necessary.

Automatic AWD in Dual-Motor vehicles recruits the rear axleā€™s power reserves automatically during high acceleration. This also helps reduce cases of increased front tire wear as power is more evenly distributed across all four wheels when needed.

Suspension Heights
Dual-Motor AWD vehicles have four available suspension heights:

• Max
  • High
  • Standard
  • Low
Both Performance Dual-Motor AWD and Quad-Motor AWD vehicles have five available suspension heights:

• Max
  • High
  • Standard
  • Low
  • Lowest
Appearance
Both Dual-Motor AWD and Performance Dual-Motor AWD have exterior door badges in a monochrome satin silver finish as well as a tailgate badge with a gloss black accent. In addition, they have silver front and rear brake calipers.

Quad-Motor AWD vehicles continue to have yellow badging accents and yellow brake calipers.
Sponsored

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Why frustrating?
I read it a second time and feel less so, but the decreased drive modes coupled with the decreased suspension height, and the different badging would make me feel like Iā€™m getting less of a car. Which is fine. Iā€™m not crying about it like some would šŸ¤£. I guess just after reading about quad for so long I was thinking of taking advantage of or at least being equipped to take advantage of things that wouldnā€™t be available in my dual motor variant.

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I read it a second time and feel less so, but the decreased drive modes coupled with the decreased suspension height, and the different badging would make me feel like Iā€™m getting less of a car. Which is fine. Iā€™m not crying about it like some would šŸ¤£. I guess just after reading about quad for so long I was thinking of taking advantage of or at least being equipped to take advantage of things that wouldnā€™t be available in my dual motor variant.
The differences in drive modes make sense to me if theyā€™re tied to instant torque adjustments at each wheel (unique to quad motors)

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Given the demonstration videos of the dual motor variants getting through sand and Moab rock features, I think the dual will handle itself admirably.

I think the automatic all wheel drive in all purpose on the dual variants is awesome, and a great use of the drivetrain both in effective handling, and increased cruising range.

People forget the quad was always the halo R1 drivetrain and as such bound to have the largest breadth of driving features. The badging and caliper differences between them I think is tasteful, and only those that know what they're looking for would be able to tell the difference.

All around, good article, and good moves on Rivians decisions, just sad the lack of a locker on the dual.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

well in some ways you are getting less of a car compared to the current standard - potentially $14000 cheaper and with that comes the loss of two motors, a smaller battery, some mode changes and slight appearance differences. Seems perfectly reasonable.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Cutting costs on the yellow brakes? Come on, man! šŸ¤£

Curious what the gloss black tailgate accent looks like. Haven't found a picture yet.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
well in some ways you are getting less of a car compared to the current standard - potentially $14000 cheaper and with that comes the loss of two motors, a smaller battery, some mode changes and slight appearance differences. Seems perfectly reasonable.
14K at its LARGEST gap. Performanced enhanced large pack or Max pack all but closes that gap and in some cases surpasses it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Reading through those pretty sure I would not see a difference based on my use. In 7500 miles I am 99% in all purpose and conserve on the highway, standard height in all purpose and low in conserve. For me it would be hey, look at all of the stuff I never used that I no longer haveā€¦. šŸ˜‰

How they are using all purpose in the dual motor sounds like a decent setup.

Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Itā€™s bit like the Carrera and Carrera S.
You pay less you get less.
Seems logical especially for the people paying for the quad. They still need to feel like itā€™s the top of the line (until that in-house ultra performance drive unit comes outā€¦ what color will the calipers be?).

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Itā€™s bit like the Carrera and Carrera S.
You pay less you get less.
Seems logical especially for the people paying for the quad. They still need to feel like itā€™s the top of the line (until that in-house ultra performance drive unit comes outā€¦ what color will the calipers be?).
Hopefully yellow. šŸ˜Ž

rosspa2

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ipace
I wish they would bring conserve mode in the quad drive inline with the all purpose of the dual motor. I find conserve to happily spin the front wheels all the time and don't use it for that reason. Something that I would really like to see.

gwatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser & Q5 TDI
Occupation
Product
Soft sand mode for the Performance Dual is a miss.
Suppose you could fake the drift mode in dual if you could turn off the front motor.
Sponsored