Sponsored

Did You Change Your Wheel Size After the Range Estimates Were Revealed?

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
I should say, "lower" rolling resistance. These are not all EV rated, but for those of us not doing 0-60 in 3 seconds every day they should be fine. Same load rating as the stock OEM tires on the 21s.

Michelin defender LTX

Pirelli scorpion Verde

Plenty others I am considering.
Being a LE R1T preorder holder from May 2019, I am NOT going to get my Rivian anytime soon, and a lot should be delivered before I get mine. Realizing LE preorder holders are getting the free upgrade to the 20"AT wheels and is at least worth $1000, as the price of the full size spare is $800 for the 20" and $600 for the 21", or 5 x $200 = $1000. So, really hate to leave $1000 on the table so to speak. A set of 5 Michelin Defender LTX ($1295) or 5 Pirelli scorpion Verde AS plus II's ($1069) from TIRERACK is pretty close to breaking even, with a set of both 20" AT and AS tires. Very tempting.

So, best case scenario, others on the forum will get their R1T, test their range experience with the 20" AT tires, and then do their own test again after swapping for Michelin defender LTX/Pirelli scorpion Verde, or similar tire, and report back. Only way we are going to know. Odds are one of these tires would work just fine, and you are right. But, would really be nice if an EV rated, LRR tire in this exact size was already available, or coming soon.
Sponsored

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Being a LE R1T preorder holder from May 2019, I am NOT going to get my Rivian anytime soon, and a lot should be delivered before I get mine. Realizing LE preorder holders are getting the free upgrade to the 20"AT wheels and is at least worth $1000, as the price of the full size spare is $800 for the 20" and $600 for the 21", or 5 x $200 = $1000. So, really hate to leave $1000 on the table so to speak. A set of 5 Michelin Defender LTX ($1295) or 5 Pirelli scorpion Verde AS plus II's ($1069) from TIRERACK is pretty close to breaking even, with a set of both 20" AT and AS tires. Very tempting.

So, best case scenario, others on the forum will get their R1T, test their range experience with the 20" AT tires, and then do their own test again after swapping for Michelin defender LTX/Pirelli scorpion Verde, or similar tire, and report back. Only way we are going to know. Odds are one of these tires would work just fine, and you are right. But, would really be nice if an EV rated, LRR tire in this exact size was already available, or coming soon.
Agree, fully rated tire would be nice. Definitely looking to hear the experience of others. In the end, as a non-LE R1S reservation holder I pay a $1800 premium for a better quality and *maybe* lighter forged rim that looks better for me, and hopefully with a non-AT lighter tire with less rolling resistance from the tread my EPA equivalent range will be closer to 300 miles. It'll definitely be better than the 10-15% hit with the AT would be my guess, just a question of how much. I won't be towing anything, so I will get by regardless of what improvement I get (quite frankly I would get by with the AT, so not much to lose).

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I've seen a few people comment about just getting 275/60R20 all-season tires as a replacement for the more aggressive AT tires. All the while bemoaning the fact that the 21" tire size is one-of-a-kind.

Has anyone considered sticking with the 21's, but going with something like this for better winter performance? I know it's actually *smaller*, so the off-roading/sidewall problems are only worse, but I imagine that it'll be great in the snow, and at least gives more options even for the 21' wheels.

Dunlop Winter Maxx SJ8

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I've seen a few people comment about just getting 275/60R20 all-season tires as a replacement for the more aggressive AT tires. All the while bemoaning the fact that the 21" tire size is one-of-a-kind.

Has anyone considered sticking with the 21's, but going with something like this for better winter performance? I know it's actually *smaller*, so the off-roading/sidewall problems are only worse, but I imagine that it'll be great in the snow, and at least gives more options even for the 21' wheels.

Dunlop Winter Maxx SJ8
Lower speed and load ratings. Different diameter that the Rivian may not be able to account for (speedometer, range, etc) . I wouldn't touch it.

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
But, would really be nice if an EV rated, LRR tire in this exact size was already available, or coming soon.
Just curious on what you're looking for that is missing in the currently available Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II tire in 275/60R20 [i.e., for 20" wheels.]?

Not sure what EV rated means, but Pirelli rates the "Mileage" capabilities of the 275/60R20 as better than the Rivian spec 275/55R21.

In terms of size, the diameter of the 275/60R20 is the same as the Rivian spec 275/55R21

In terms of treadwear rating, the 275/60R20 is 740 vs, the Rivian spec 275/55R21 is 600.

In terms of load rating, the Rivian spec is 116 vs 115, which means max load of 2756 lbs vs 2679 lbs (per tire) so that's a theoretical benefit to the Rivian spec version (not sure if material.)

...top of those, Pirelli rates the 275/60R20 better in Wet and Offroad performance than the Rivian spec version as well.

So on my casual observation, it's not clear what is missing from the already available option. If anything, it seems like an upgrade over the Rivian spec choice for the 21" wheels...

(no horse in this race, so not trying to argue, just curious to understand what I might be missing.)

Source:

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/scorpion-verde-all-season-plus-ii/275_60-r20

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us...on-verde-all-season/275_55-r21?ipcode=3939500

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Just curious on what you're looking for that is missing in the currently available Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II tire in 275/60R20 [i.e., for 20" wheels.]?

Not sure what EV rated means, but Pirelli rates the "Mileage" capabilities of the 275/60R20 as better than the Rivian spec 275/55R21.

In terms of size, the diameter of the 275/60R20 is the same as the Rivian spec 275/55R21

In terms of treadwear rating, the 275/60R20 is 740 vs, the Rivian spec 275/55R21 is 600.

In terms of load rating, the Rivian spec is 116 vs 115, which means max load of 2756 lbs vs 2679 lbs (per tire) so that's a theoretical benefit to the Rivian spec version (not sure if material.)

...top of those, Pirelli rates the 275/60R20 better in Wet and Offroad performance than the Rivian spec version as well.

So on my casual observation, it's not clear what is missing from the already available option. If anything, it seems like an upgrade over the Rivian spec choice for the 21" wheels...

(no horse in this race, so not trying to argue, just curious to understand what I might be missing.)

Source:

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/scorpion-verde-all-season-plus-ii/275_60-r20

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us...on-verde-all-season/275_55-r21?ipcode=3939500
Depends on whether you believe Pirelli actually did what they said about the tires they developed for the Rivian
https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/road/pirelli-tires-tailor-made-for-rivian

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Depends on whether you believe Pirelli actually did what they said about the tires they developed for the Rivian
https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/road/pirelli-tires-tailor-made-for-rivian
Without actually measuring the tire characteristics or doing a range test in identical conditions it will be hard to say. Though I do take the "super special super unique tire just for you!" with a grain of salt, personally. If it rides well enough, supports the load, and gives reasonable range, it's fine for me, super special or not.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician

Dunlop Winter Maxx SJ8
Lower speed and load ratings. Different diameter that the Rivian may not be able to account for (speedometer, range, etc) . I wouldn't touch it.
I am usually not wanting less sidewall height on my winter tire. But good to know there is something out there, even if it is not for me.

fromawayfarm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Kona EV
Actually I did run to the configurator and change to the 21" wheels when I read that! Now I've given it more thought and will likely change back to the 20" ATs. Here's why...

As I understand it, the reason the ATs reduce your efficiency is the added rolling resistance (and possibly a bit of wind resistance as well) created by the aggressive "knobby" tread.

I also recall seeing somewhere that in general, smaller "wheels" with bigger sidewall tires generally provide a more efficient profile.

Therefore, I would think getting the 20" wheel and retrofitting a good road tire like the Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II tire in 275/60R20 previously mentioned would actually improve your performance over the 21" wheel that was tested (albeit only by a percentage point or two.)

Somebody smarter than me tell me if I am wrong on either of those two points.

Anyway, I intend to change back to the 20's and buy a set of "road" tires to retrofit if I am unsatisfied with the performance. I can always keep the ATs for future use.

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
Therefore, I would think getting the 20" wheel and retrofitting a good road tire like the Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II tire in 275/60R20 previously mentioned would actually improve your performance over the 21" wheel that was tested (albeit only by a percentage point or two.)
This would be my uneducated guess as well.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The 20's are a less aerodynamic shape (they are more spokey and lack the plastic inserts) than the 21's so I don't think there is much chance of being better range than the 21's, but the losses should be quite minimal. On the Tesla 3/Y removing the plastic hubcaps will reduce your range by 3-5%.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(