Sponsored

Did You Change Your Wheel Size After the Range Estimates Were Revealed?

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
No.
At the end of the day, ambient temperature and driving style are likely to have a greater impact on range.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gator42

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
It wasn't that long ago the Jeep options were a low profile summer tire for style, an off road tread with big side walls and softer compounds that wore out quickly on asphalt, and an all-season compromise between the two.

Now it's a low or lower profile sport combo or an AT, all with a speed rating comparable to a sports car...

It just shows what a category scrambler Rivian is going to be!

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Not changing from the 20's , but I'd like to get a set of 22s for summer fun driving.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
…I went for the 21”s after seeing the range hit for the others. I suspect some of you holding out for the larger battery might have switched too?
No but now I’m definitely holding out for larger battery ;)

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Nope, because at the end of the day, the impact of the range shift will not impact my day to day use of the truck, and will have a very limited impact on my roadtrips (a few more minutes at the FastCharger).

So.... no, tis a big ole nothingburger in my opinion.

Sponsored

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
When the range came out, I initially switched to the 22s for my R1S as they’ll be close enough to 300 miles for almost all of my purposes. I have now switched back to 21s with the news that the inserts are removable, which greatly improves the look. I’ll keep them out 99% of the time and only put them in for road trips.
Same here, put them in for longer trips and while towing.

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
Sticking with the 20s... optimism on the miles/kwh. I've had good success beating the EPA rating with other EVs thus far.

That said, it took me all of Labor Day weekend to come to that final resolution.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I'm also keeping the 20's.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Keeping the 20s. The only scenario I'm really worried about range is overlanding in the mountains - we tend to do lots of "fire road" trips in the North Cascades and occasionally go several days away from anyplace likely to have even an L2.

But, when I do trips like this it's always with buddies. Solo overlanding out of comms range with no backup plan or support vehicle is a bad idea regardless of the rig. It's not like ICE vehicles have perfect reliability either - we spent half of our last trip wrenching on my Jeep and had to tow it long distance several times.

So I figure worst case, if I ever get stuck in the backcountry without a charge, I can just make an ICE friend tow charge me. They'll mock me and drink all my frunk beer, but I'll have a Rivian.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Sticking with the 20s on my R1S that will never be taken off road. Don't like the look of the 21s. Will eventually swap the AT tires for 275/60R20 low rolling resistance all season tires and see much better range and be perfectly happy. And will have plenty of snow tire options to choose from.

Sponsored

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Sticking with the 20s on my R1S that will never be taken off road. Don't like the look of the 21s. Will eventually swap the AT tires for 275/60R20 low rolling resistance all season tires and see much better range and be perfectly happy. And will have plenty of snow tire options to choose from.
Sounds like a great plan. I would get the 20"AT tires also, and then immediately swap them out for LRR AS tires...only problem is, nobody makes that tire at this time. Please, if someone here has information about some company with plans to make such a tire, let the forum know! Since this tire cannot be found currently, I am having to stick with the 21" road tires.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Sounds like a great plan. I would get the 20"AT tires also, and then immediately swap them out for LRR AS tires...only problem is, nobody makes that tire at this time. Please, if someone here has information about some company with plans to make such a tire, let the forum know! Since this tire cannot be found currently, I am having to stick with the 21" road tires.
I should say, "lower" rolling resistance. These are not all EV rated, but for those of us not doing 0-60 in 3 seconds every day they should be fine. Same load rating as the stock OEM tires on the 21s.

Michelin defender LTX

Pirelli scorpion Verde

Plenty others I am considering.

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
Does this tire meet your needs.
https://simpletire.com/paid?v=1&tir...e-XxioQftLKKRT-vRab9MOxFHiQYLhkhoC9iIQAvD_BwE

Looks pretty darn close to the 21” wheel version (same manufacturer, same tire type, same diameter, same width… main difference it’s for 20” tire)

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
I haven’t switched yet, but I likely will. My primary use cases are on-road. I have a Polaris Ranger Northstar Edition for hunting and the really rough stuff. That said, I live on a gravel road and travel many back roads here in the mountains. Cell service is spotty and I will miss the ability to have satellite radio.
Sponsored