Sponsored

Did You Change Your Wheel Size After the Range Estimates Were Revealed?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
…I went for the 21”s after seeing the range hit for the others. I suspect some of you holding out for the larger battery might have switched too?
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
…I went for the 21”s after seeing the range hit for the others. I suspect some of you holding out for the larger battery might have switched too?
Sticking with 20s and hoping real world range is closer to 300. If not I’ll live cause the 20s just look better and are more capable it seems. You are talking an extra 5 minutes at a Rivian charger with the range hit.

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I did, but don't really consider that final yet as my order is closer to the end of the line than the front and I will have time to see how real life shakes out.

I don't really go off road but do have all terrain on my truck for gravel/snow/boat ramps/occasional dirt. All seasons could realistically handle all that though. Most of my driving is local and a lot of highway. I also have a boat and may feel the mileage hit more because of that, maybe not. I think the 20's look better but I'm not so concerned about it that I'd drop a lot of range/efficiency. The 21's are fine and I'd probably leave the areo caps in.

That said, if real life says it's much ado about nothing, or some all seasons on the 20's prove as good/better than the 21's, then I'll probably switch my order back before it's finalized.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I'm sticking with the 20s for my LE. I think in the long term [tire replacement], it'll be better for me. Also, they look better & they are forged. I'm just hoping someone with a 3D printer makes those aero caps for them :) [to maybe reduce that 10-15% loss]
BTW, I've been playing with abrp and changing numbers and my longest trip [FL to PA] increased my charging time for only about 20 min.

OP
OP
Gator42

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Life is what happens when you're making other plans but I'm thinking I'll end up driving coast-to-coast before I end up doing any serious off roading. Then I can swap out for some serous ATs once I get into the backcountry stuff...

I might be in the minority for thinking the 21s look just as good as some of the other options, so I might as well have the extra range...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I’m going back and forth, but I’m sure I have some time to see real world numbers and see them in person. I also need to decide if the extra $2k is worth it for the 20s or 22s over the 21s when you factor in the cost of the spare. If I had an LE then I’d definitely get the 20s or 22s with no questions asked.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I went the other way, with the info from the latest MT story the extra 70 or so miles in the Max Pack won't make or break any trip I'd do. For my use case it's the equivalent of a few extra minutes added to each stop, 15-20 to one stop or just adding in an extra stop. Still waiting on real world testing to make the final decision but at this point I'd rather save the $10k and use it for the V2 of the R1T that will undoubtedly bring better range and other improvements down the road.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I switched to the 21's. I want the extra range for the 90% of the driving I do is on the pavement. If real world results are closer to 300 with the 20's I might switch back. Or I might go aftermarket for more color and style options.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I always had the 21" and I do not think I am going to change anything. But since the aero caps are removeable, I might get them wrapped or painted :)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Sticking with the 22s, the range is fine for well over 90% of my driving. Don't do a lot of off road and what I do seems fine with the all seasons on my Jeep GC, looking at the specs, the 22s have a slightly taller sidewall than I currently have on the Jeep.

Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
When the range came out, I initially switched to the 22s for my R1S as they’ll be close enough to 300 miles for almost all of my purposes. I have now switched back to 21s with the news that the inserts are removable, which greatly improves the look. I’ll keep them out 99% of the time and only put them in for road trips.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Currently sticking with the large battery and 20s. Although I’m not much of an off-roader, I do a lot of driving in snow and like the extra insurance of the ATs.

Someone already said it above but I’m starting to think of the range more as a pit stop strategy vs a maximum time behind the wheel strategy.

From Denver or San Francisco, I can easily get to the mountains without stopping to charge. On longer road trips, how long can I reasonably expect to drive (with two dogs) without stopping for food/potty breaks?

The answer (having just driven 2000 miles last week) is about 5 hours max.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Ditto

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I always had the 21's configured, because the Rivian is going to be our road trip vehicle. However I live in snow-tire territory, so I will also end up with a set of 20's (with snow tires, not AT tires) unless someone comes out with snow tires that fit the 21's.

The rage reduction from the less efficient wheel/tire options really shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

According to EPA numbers, the Tesla model 3 looses nearly 10% of its range when "upgrading" from efficient wheels/tires to the max performance sport road wheels/tires. All Terrain tires seem like they would be way worse than sport tires so I was actually surprised that it was only 15%. I was expecting >20%. I suspect that the Rivian's AT tires are rather mild and if you replace them with more aggressive AT tires the hit will be even bigger.

Rivian R1T R1S Did You Change Your Wheel Size After the Range Estimates Were Revealed? 1631200047140

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gator42

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Currently sticking with the large battery and 20s. Although I’m not much of an off-roader, I do a lot of driving in snow and like the extra insurance of the ATs.

Someone already said it above but I’m starting to think of the range more as a pit stop strategy vs a maximum time behind the wheel strategy.
Yep. Pit stops where the splash and go is plug in, charge at peak speeds until the curve starts to taper, then head to the next stop...
Sponsored