Sponsored

Did You Change Your Wheel Size After the Range Estimates Were Revealed?

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
i'm surprised that they expect 15-20% loss to go to the smaller wheel (20) i thought you'd always see more range with smaller rims.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
i'm surprised that they expect 15-20% loss to go to the smaller wheel (20) i thought you'd always see more range with smaller rims.
Bigger, heavier tire with more aggressive tread and rolling resistance.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
10-15%

Offroad tire vs. all-season with a focus on low rolling-resistance. Regular wheel design vs. Aerodynamic wheel design with aero inserts.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I changed from 22" to 20" after Ducktruck was interviewed after the Rivian event in Normal.

I still like the look of the 22"s just determining my off-road usage. Also, since Forged is stronger and typically more expensive I can always buy a set of 22"s after...if I find myself not off-roading as much.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I am definitely sticking with the 20s for my LE. I do enough of a mix between on-road and forest rambling and the range is sufficient for my commute. Also since the 20s are 3 peak rated I can drive them up Mt Hood when traction tires are required and not have to swap them out twice a year. Can always chain up if conditions are bad enough.

Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I am definitely sticking with the 20s for my LE. I do enough of a mix between on-road and forest rambling and the range is sufficient for my commute. Also since the 20s are 3 peak rated I can drive them up Mt Hood when traction tires are required and not have to swap them out twice a year. Can always chain up if conditions are bad enough.
I live in the same general area and am doing the same calculation. Time spent on forest roads in the gorge / mt hood etc with the 20s vs time spent when I need the extra range 21s.

I will probably end up with the 20s. Inconvenience of having to hit a public charger a few more times a year is much less than the inconvenience of getting stuck once.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Just curious on what you're looking for that is missing in the currently available Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II tire in 275/60R20 [i.e., for 20" wheels.]?

Not sure what EV rated means, but Pirelli rates the "Mileage" capabilities of the 275/60R20 as better than the Rivian spec 275/55R21.

In terms of size, the diameter of the 275/60R20 is the same as the Rivian spec 275/55R21

In terms of treadwear rating, the 275/60R20 is 740 vs, the Rivian spec 275/55R21 is 600.

In terms of load rating, the Rivian spec is 116 vs 115, which means max load of 2756 lbs vs 2679 lbs (per tire) so that's a theoretical benefit to the Rivian spec version (not sure if material.)

...top of those, Pirelli rates the 275/60R20 better in Wet and Offroad performance than the Rivian spec version as well.

So on my casual observation, it's not clear what is missing from the already available option. If anything, it seems like an upgrade over the Rivian spec choice for the 21" wheels...

(no horse in this race, so not trying to argue, just curious to understand what I might be missing.)

Source:

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/scorpion-verde-all-season-plus-ii/275_60-r20

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us...on-verde-all-season/275_55-r21?ipcode=3939500
A lot of good points. Would be nice if the RRC (rolling resistance coefficient) was listed for each tire, but I haven't been able to find it. The lower the number, the better for mileage efficiency, but may lose some other good features like traction. It is a balance obviously. Not sure how much mileage will be lost by using the Pirelli 275/60/R20 AS tires purchased from TireRack, but I am going to switch my configuration back to the 20" AT tires, and do just that, get a set of 5 from TireRack. Unless someone else reports back having done this, and still finds a significant range hit over the 21's. Soon, someone will be able to try this, a lot sooner than me, as the Atlanta service center has not even begun construction.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
They put a huge heavy tire on it - if you ran a lighter one of the same OD as the 21 package (like a 275/55/20) you should potentially get better range than either, assuming the same compound/etc as the 21.

I plan to get 20s and downsize the tires unless Rivian makes that a tremendous pain, in every other car it's not difficult to just reprogram the speedometer.

rivrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (White w/ ocean coast 20" AT)
Occupation
Engineer
They put a huge heavy tire on it - if you ran a lighter one of the same OD as the 21 package (like a 275/55/20) you should potentially get better range than either, assuming the same compound/etc as the 21.

I plan to get 20s and downsize the tires unless Rivian makes that a tremendous pain, in every other car it's not difficult to just reprogram the speedometer.
Thinking about going 275/60R20 on my 20" A/T, did you come across anyone that has actually done this and what the impact is on the range?

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Thinking about going 275/60R20 on my 20" A/T, did you come across anyone that has actually done this and what the impact is on the range?
Yes, see here. 275/60R20 Scorpion AS+3 tires on 20" wheels give you the same range as the 21's.