Sponsored

Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

One of the issues is that you really can’t trust the colors in the configurator. All CGI and created months ago before actual colors and interior were finalized. And all the photos we’d seen until recently were pre production so those were unreliable too. It’s these first mile events that give us the true colors finally. The only problem with this is the photos are taken by phones and the colors can vary.

What they need to do now which I have been saying for weeks is they need to update the configurator with actual professional photos of the exterior and interior so folks have a better idea what they look like. How hard is that to do?
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

One of the issues is that you really can’t trust the colors in the configurator. All CGI and created months ago before actual colors and interior were finalized. And all the photos we’d seen until recently were pre production so those were unreliable too. It’s these first mile events that give us the true colors finally. The only problem with this is the photos are taken by phones and the colors can vary.

What they need to do now which I have been saying for weeks is they need to update the configurator with actual professional photos of the exterior and interior so folks have a better idea what they look like. How hard is that to do?
Yeah I'd like to see them get some 3D camera shots and replace what's in the configuration tool. That would also open the door for a VR "tour" which would be really nice, especially since they don't have showrooms

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I actually like that it was less yellow, but yeah 100%, have see them in person, but my dream would be Ocean Coast with an aluminium or metal option.

Rivian R1T R1S Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior? 1001211518b_HDR

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I suspect this may be one of those issues that is the result of Rivian moving towards mass production. I would much rather have a natural look on the wood dash, and the earlier photos seemed to show a beautiful natural stain on the Ocean Coast. That’s one of the reasons I was leaning towards Ocean Coast over others. If I’m going to have wood in the vehicle, I want the natural wood to show through.

However, there are probably issues with matching up wood tones among the dash, doors, and wood accents on the steering wheel. Those pieces may be sourced from different sources, and Rivian needs to apply a heavy white wash in order to make all the wood match in the same vehicle.

Even the Forest Edge wood looks to be a very heavy stain that makes Ash wood look like a walnut color. They probably need to apply a heavy stain/paint to make the colors consistent across variations in wood in all three interior options.

All things equal, this makes me reconsider Black Mountain. If there are no interior options that truly let the natural wood shine, I may as well get the dark color interior.

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Saw the Ocean coast first hand. The wood is way to whitewashed/painted. Bummer because other than that it's gorgeous. It needs the darker natural wood grain to balance it out. If I still take delivery I'll be changing to black. I really wanted Blue with the Ocean Coast interior with the original stained wood interior!

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

It'd be cool if you could mix and match the wood trim colors with the seat interior colors. I guess that'd make pricing a bit more complex but guess it makes building the vehicle more complex than they want to do.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

It'd be cool if you could mix and match the wood trim colors with the seat interior colors. I guess that'd make pricing a bit more complex but guess it makes building the vehicle more complex than they want to do.
It shouldn't, because there is no reason the cost of the other materials are different for the manufacturer. The cost differential for FE is pure margin for them, so they could feasibly give you the ability to mix and match for the same cost as FE.

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I got an email saying they replaced it with darker wood trim or you can have white vegan wrap. The darker wood trim looks good in my opinion.
Sponsored