Sponsored

Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior?

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I was looking at a bunch of the reviews and it looks like they changed the wood trim on Ocean Coast. On the R1T site and in their configurator it looked like it had a light natural finish on it, resulting in a very natural looking wood finish. But in the recent reviews it looks like they have moved to a pickled/white finish on it.

From the R1T site:
Rivian R1T R1S Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior? Rivian Site

From the Configurator Page:
Rivian R1T R1S Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior? Conifgurator

From Ben Sullins review:
Rivian R1T R1S Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior? Ben Sullins Review

Even one of the guys on Rivian Stories called it pickled.

Has anyone seen this in person? Please tell me that they didn't move to this white abomination! I am sick of black interiors and would hate to have to pay the extra $2000 to go to Forest Edge simply to escape this travesty of a color choice! Sorry for the dramatic description, but this is completely demoralizing to me and might even end with me canceling my reservation. It's kind of the last straw on lowering my expectations from what I had originally seen Rivian demonstrating to seeing what they are actually going to deliver.
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I would think that it would cost less than $2,000 to swap out the trim with whichever color you prefer.

Of course we have no idea how difficult it is to remove the trim, but if it's not too hard you might even be able to find someone willing to meet up and swap trim pieces with you.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It’s the lighting. In sunlight it’s more wood coloured, from pictures and video I’ve seen. Look in the first mile thread etc.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Looks the same to me as it always has, given variations in lighting. Here's a close up from Top Gear.

Rivian R1T R1S Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior? 12-rivian-r1t-

OP
OP

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
Looks the same to me as it always has, given variations in lighting. Here's a close up from Top Gear.

12-rivian-r1t-jpg.jpg
I sure hope you are right. This to me is beautiful. Definitely going to check this out VERY closely when I get a test drive. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
Oops, took a closer look at that picture from Top Gear. That's not Ocean Coast - the pleather is green. It must be Forest green. So back to square one.

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

JEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 2016 Volvo S60
Occupation
Technical Support
Here's a picture from the First Mile event in Normal. I thought it looked like pickled white, which looked good with the grey trim.

Rivian R1T R1S Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior? Ocean Coast

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I was looking at a bunch of the reviews and it looks like they changed the wood trim on Ocean Coast. On the R1T site and in their configurator it looked like it had a light natural finish on it, resulting in a very natural looking wood finish. But in the recent reviews it looks like they have moved to a pickled/white finish on it.

From the R1T site:
Rivian Site.png

From the Configurator Page:
Conifgurator.png

From Ben Sullins review:
Ben Sullins Review.png

Even one of the guys on Rivian Stories called it pickled….Sorry for the dramatic description, but this is completely demoralizing to me and might even end with me canceling my reservation. It's kind of the last straw on lowering my expectations from what I had originally seen Rivian demonstrating to seeing what they are actually going to deliver.
Sorry but the exits are crowded at the moment- you’ll have to wait for the ‘There’s no Waze on the UI’ people to get out of the way of the ‘There’s no Sirius XM Satellite radio’ people.

Once the Sirius people are out, then you can go…:sun:

Seriously, do wait until you can see it in person. Images play tricks…

Last edited:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

It’s all in the lighting once again. But it did appear more white to me in Person rather than the pine look I thought it would be.
Rivian R1T R1S Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior? 11EC42BD-49FE-460E-9A86-F389E4F35F9F
Rivian R1T R1S Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior? EC12B11D-0E5E-4046-A58F-1CF9A124FFE5

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I sure hope you are right. This to me is beautiful. Definitely going to check this out VERY closely when I get a test drive. Thanks!
Alse, that photo has a filter/edited, so it appears much warmer than the actual this trim is.

This is what the actual trim would look like,
Rivian R1T R1S Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior? 15504149-7EEC-4414-8CF8-4ACAD74FFF3D

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Much like the exterior colors, the look of the interior colors varies dramatically from photo to photo. The Ocean Coast wood looks anywhere from whitewashed which I like, to natural which I hate. Similarly, the Forest Edge pleather looks anywhere from charcoal gray to avocado green depending on the color balance. These colors can really only be evaluated in person, as photos never do them justice.

tnawara

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance 2022
I just got back from the First Mile event and have to say that seeing the interiors in person has probably changed my choice. I was >90% certain that I was going with Ocean Coast, but seeing that the dash is an oddly beige (white/tan/pink?) pickled treatment instead of a clean, natural light wood has turned me off to it. It just looks…too fake. My first choice now is probably Forest Edge (the green is nicely muted and the wood is gorgeous), but that will require a rethinking of my exterior color choice (it was previously a coin toss between LG and Limestone). Luckily it looks like I have plenty of time before the R1S is available.

A big downside of the event today was that the area received rain overnight and Rivian wasn’t allowing the R1Ts on any of the off-road portions of the course, including Mt Rivian. On the positive side, I got to take plenty of shots of the trucks in overcast light - I’ll post those asap.

Rivian R1T R1S Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior? 43D619FE-6CD7-4230-B209-DEEBBCDBA6B0

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

One thing to remember is wood has a ton of variations in it. They mentioned in the past i believe that the Ocean Coast is an Ash wood. Here are some pictures of the variations in Ash wood. Each of the dash accents is going to be unique, regardless of the tint they put on them. Hopefully some of the "pickling" looks are just camera angles, but you can see that even from board to board this is going to look different, which to me brings in the uniqueness of each truck. No two dashes will be the same due to variations in grain and color of the base wood used. Same for any of the other wood trims in the other packages. All will have their own variations and you may get one that has wide grain bands in it, or you may get one that has tight grain variations. That will not be controllable, other than if they were to make these from fake plastic made to look like wood. I'm pleased to have this uniqueness in each R1T.

Rivian R1T R1S Did they change the wood in Ocean Coast interior? 1633202294646

tnawara

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance 2022
One thing to remember is wood has a ton of variations in it. They mentioned in the past i believe that the Ocean Coast is an Ash wood. Here are some pictures of the variations in Ash wood. Each of the dash accents is going to be unique, regardless of the tint they put on them. Hopefully some of the "pickling" looks are just camera angles, but you can see that even from board to board this is going to look different, which to me brings in the uniqueness of each truck. No two dashes will be the same due to variations in grain and color of the base wood used. Same for any of the other wood trims in the other packages. All will have their own variations and you may get one that has wide grain bands in it, or you may get one that has tight grain variations. That will not be controllable, other than if they were to make these from fake plastic made to look like wood. I'm pleased to have this uniqueness in each R1T.

1633202294646.png
I love that the dash is actual wood and that each will have a relatively unique grain pattern. That real wood aspect is *exactly* what I was hoping for from the Ocean Coast, hence my disappointment in (what I feel is) the somewhat cheap-looking wash. I sat in multiple R1Ts with the OC interior today and that “plastic-y” look was the same in all - it wasn’t just an illusion of the grain pattern in one of them.

Maybe the best way to describe it is that the OC wood has an off-white *paint wash*, while the BM and FE woods have *stains*.
Sponsored