Sponsored

Did the Lightning use the Rivian Skateboard?

The Brit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
I remember reading that Rivian would license its skateboard chassis - in looking at the graphics, I can't decide if Ford leveraged the Rivian chassis or not.
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Ford has said all along that the Rivian skateboard would be used for a different project, not the F-150.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ford intended to use Rivian skateboards for a Lincoln project, probably a performance EV Lincoln Aviator to go along with that brand refresh, but they scrapped it after Rivian announced their COVID delays.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

nope. this is the F-150 "skateboard"

Rivian R1T R1S Did the Lightning use the Rivian Skateboard? F150-EV Chassis pic2

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
nope. this is the F-150 "skateboard"

F150-EV Chassis pic2.jpg
I agree that using the term "skateboard" is a stretch since they use the same frame for the ICE F-150.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I agree that using the term "skateboard" is a stretch since they use the same frame for the ICE F-150.
We may see "skateboard" go the way of Xerox and lose it's original meaning. It may become a generic term for frame+suspension+battery that can be separated from the body.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I do not think it is the same frame.

They mentioned in the video last night the frame was using the strongest steel they have used so far. It also has independent rear suspension, I would not think they would have made this change if they were using the same frame as the ICE trucks.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
They are also using SK Innovations batteries, not Samsung.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

They mentioned in the video last night the frame was using the strongest steel they have used so far. It also has independent rear suspension, I would not think they would have made this change if they were using the same frame as the ICE trucks.
You may be right. I read this from the Detroit News
" he 2022 F-150 Lightning enters the EV market using the same tried-and-true three-box, ladder-frame formula that has made the gas-powered F-150 the King of Trucks for the last 44 years."
along with the estimated amount of similar parts to the ICE version and made some assumptions.

Other quotes from other news agencies make it sound like a unique frame, though.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The current F150 is actually using LG batteries (reportedly with some info filched from SK).

LG was facing a 10 year ban on importing or making batteries in the US (they have two factories in the works), but it was averted with a settlement with SK. The ban had an exception for the batteries for the F150 (4 years) and ID.4 (2 years).

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
LG was facing a 10 year ban on importing or making batteries in the US (they have two factories in the works), but it was averted with a settlement with SK. The ban had an exception for the batteries for the F150 (4 years) and ID.4 (2 years).
You have it backwards. SK was facing a ten year ban from importing until they settled with LG.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
The current F150 is actually using LG batteries (reportedly with some info filched from SK).

You've got those 2 mixed up!

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer

They are. They use the same platform (T1) on the Expedition as the F-150 but the Expedition has independent rear suspension. It’s not unreasonable for them to use the same frame for an IRS F-150, maybe even the exact Expedition frame.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Who knew. DucRider is a completely unreliable source of information. ;)
Sponsored